Security Installer Community

Hd-Sdi Vs Hd-Tvi

I've got several installs coming up with HD kit.  I've installed HD-SDI using Luxrite kit which has been fine, but it's super competitive now with suppliers, I have 4 or 5 of them with similarly specced kit, but I want to only use one supplier that is competitively priced, robust & reliable.

I'm looking at the "Alliance" tribrids from MIECCTV (they can take a 12TB eSATA hard drive and analogue & HD-TVI cameras with 2 IP cameras).  They seem good spec, cameras 1080p 2mp 2.8mm to 12mm varifocal lenses at a great price.

Anyone any opinion on SDI versus TVI and what supplier to use?  I've also had quotes from Systemq, Aban technology, CCTV direct & Y3K, MIECCTV come out cheapest.

• 1 month later...

Hi Steven,

I hope you are well.

I have only recently returned to the forum so would have liked to reply sooner.

My understanding on the difference between HD-SDI, CVI and TVI is as follows;

CVI: Live = 1080P Real-time

Recording= 720p 12fps

Playback = Single Channel 

Signal = analogue

TVI: Live = 1080P Real-time

Recording = 1080p 12fps

Signal = analogue

SDI: Live = 1080P Real-time

Recording = 1080p 25fps

Playback = All Channels

Signal = Digital

Do to sum up, HD-SDI stands for (High Definition, Serial Digital Interface. I feel TVI and CVI are more gimmicks created of the back end of HD-SDI.

TVI was created by Hikvision which can be run using both RG59 or CAT5.

CVI was created by Dahua will lesser quality and more restrictions than TVI.

SDI is true digital. You are restricted to use only RG59 or shotgun to around 100m runs depending on the quality of cable. 

TVI and CVI will not work with HD-SDI systems. So if you purchase a very cost effective "1080P" TVI camera, you HAVE to purchase a TVI DVR for it to work.

So it would seem CVI and TVI were created by some of the bigger players for them to have some sort of control on this section of the market, fair enough. 

SDI is the best in terms of performance i would say but i feel TVI and even CVI will be handy on jobs where re cabling is not an option perhaps. 

Again, do not take this for complete fact, but i have done my own research and used different units in the past, the above is what i found.

In relation to the Alliance Tribrid unit, it would seem you are restricted on what channels can be analogue or TVI etc. 

Luxrite offer a UNIVERSAL VECTUS DVR which will support analogue or HD-SDI in ANY channel, in ANY variation you want, so a full hybrid. 

###LINK TO EXTERNAL REMOVED###

Hope this helps.

Edited by sixwheeledbeast

Hi Steven,

I hope you are well.

I have only recently returned to the forum so would have liked to reply sooner.

My understanding on the difference between HD-SDI, CVI and TVI is as follows;

CVI: Live = 1080P Real-time

Recording= 720p 12fps

Signal = analogue

TVI: Live = 1080P Real-time

Recording = 1080p 12fps

Signal = analogue

SDI: Live = 1080P Real-time

Recording = 1080p 25fps

Playback = All Channels

Signal = Digital

Do to sum up, HD-SDI stands for (High Definition, Serial Digital Interface. I feel TVI and CVI are more gimmicks created of the back end of HD-SDI.

TVI was created by Hikvision which can be run using both RG59 or CAT5.

CVI was created by Dahua will lesser quality and more restrictions than TVI.

SDI is true digital. You are restricted to use only RG59 or shotgun to around 100m runs depending on the quality of cable. 

TVI and CVI will not work with HD-SDI systems. So if you purchase a very cost effective "1080P" TVI camera, you HAVE to purchase a TVI DVR for it to work.

So it would seem CVI and TVI were created by some of the bigger players for them to have some sort of control on this section of the market, fair enough. 

SDI is the best in terms of performance i would say but i feel TVI and even CVI will be handy on jobs where re cabling is not an option perhaps. 

Again, do not take this for complete fact, but i have done my own research and used different units in the past, the above is what i found.

In relation to the Alliance Tribrid unit, it would seem you are restricted on what channels can be analogue or TVI etc. 

Luxrite offer a UNIVERSAL VECTUS DVR which will support analogue or HD-SDI in ANY channel, in ANY variation you want, so a full hybrid. 

###LINK TO EXTERNAL REMOVED###

Hope this helps.

cheers LuxRob nice one! 

What are the extra restrictions of CVI over TVI?

As far as I can see CVI give greater cable runs, also offers recording in 1080p can be run on cat 5 or rg59

SDI seems like the one with more issues (from experiance) than CVI. Although I have not use TVI.

+ 1 with Rob!

SDI is generally more robust and although costs are getting more and more competitive we see more and more installers adopting HD-SDI without any queries. 

There's so much out there though, HD-TVI, CVI, AHD the lot, it's just getting harder for installers to make a solid choice.

CCTV Distributor of AcuraPRO and Samsung CCTV Equipment -

Trade Customers: www.acurasystemsdirect.com

Luxrob I don't know where you got your information on HDCVI from but its incorrect, maybe you should actually do some research on your competition instead of using your "findings" of CVI / TVI to upsell your HDSDI Products

I have installed HDSDI and rate it but I also install a lot of HDCVI which is 25fps @ 1080p, I have no issues with either apart from the cable limit on the HDSDI

Your comparison of CVI being lesser quality and more restrictions than TVI / SDI are warranted on what ?

HDSDI

1080p

25fps

100m cable on RG59

HDCVI

1080p

25fps

700m on RG6

500m on RG59

300m on CAT5e

Control over COAX

I don't see the lesser in the above? I can tell you in the real world I have a few HDCVI running at 418m on RG59 so I am happy with the claims on cable distance

Just for comparison on your UNIVERSAL VECTUS DVR the dvr I use from Dahua is any channel HDCVI or Analogue or IP so true Tribrid @ 1080p

I cant comment of TVI as I don't use Hikvision equipment

Is the analogue bit correct though?

What analogue bit?

Some of the dahua DVRs are a full tribrid (fitted them myself) and they will take HDCVI & Analoguge cameras & up to a certain amount of IP cams.

Plug and play as well, the DVR will automatically sense the resolution of the input and display the image from the camera.

Luxrob I don't know where you got your information on HDCVI from but its incorrect, maybe you should actually do some research on your competition instead of using your "findings" of CVI / TVI to upsell your HDSDI Products

I have installed HDSDI and rate it but I also install a lot of HDCVI which is 25fps @ 1080p, I have no issues with either apart from the cable limit on the HDSDI

Your comparison of CVI being lesser quality and more restrictions than TVI / SDI are warranted on what ?

HDSDI

1080p

25fps

100m cable on RG59

HDCVI

1080p

25fps

700m on RG6

500m on RG59

300m on CAT5e

Control over COAX

I don't see the lesser in the above? I can tell you in the real world I have a few HDCVI running at 418m on RG59 so I am happy with the claims on cable distance

Just for comparison on your UNIVERSAL VECTUS DVR the dvr I use from Dahua is any channel HDCVI or Analogue or IP so true Tribrid @ 1080p

I cant comment of TVI as I don't use Hikvision equipment

Hi Neutech,

Appreciate your comments on the subject.

Would appreciate it more without the sarcastic tone......

Again, let me quote "Again, do not take this for complete fact, but I have done my own research and used different units in the past, the above is what I found."

Perhaps the resolution and FPS restrictions I refer to are based on the earlier CVI units. I know they have more recently updated and released different units such as the Tribrid which can achieve 1080p real- time. That is the only CVI model that can achieve this, the other models are restricted to 720p max resolution.

A lot of my information is sourced from installers all across the UK who use these units on a daily basis, the other half is from competitor websites and spec sheets.

Perhaps I am been provided with the wrong information, please educate rather than criticize, I am on this forum to learn and help people if I can.

Looks like you are just trying to pitch your products as better than others by giving false information tbh this is just an observation on my part dont take it as offensive but what you posted there makes you look untrustworthy and weasly.

Petrolhead,

Sorry I think this is a little harsh we certainly wouldn't want to look untrustworthy or weasely as you say. We was only looking to give a better outlook on the whole SDI/TVI/CVI debate like everyone else in the post. We have gathered our information through installers and competitors spec sheets but everyone has their own opinions. 

Our company look to give reliable and trustworthy information to our customer and potential customers on every aspec of the cctv market and equipment out there.

We are an honest company who we will give you honest opinions on our kit and others out on the market never looking to slate or talk down other peoples kit.

Looks like you are just trying to pitch your products as better than others by giving false information tbh this is just an observation on my part dont take it as offensive but what you posted there makes you look untrustworthy and weasly.

Hi Petrol Head,

Your observation is duly noted.

If attempting to answer a question to the best of knowledge is untrustworthy and "weasly", then that is what I must be.  

In future it may be best if I don't attempt to help.

Done a bit of research

SDI I as we know digital

The others are analogue

From what I have read even the manufacturers of tvi say that sdi has better image quality.

But id guess its negligible.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies gents, quite a thread!  Well, since posting this I have done 3 installs with Hikvision tribrid recorders (HD Turbo variety) and 2 using the Dahua kit.  The Hikvision is 1080p 2mp & the Dahua is 720p 1.3mp, all using varifocal domes.

Well, quite honestly, they all work great & finding differences is hard.

I'm still really none the wiseras to which is best, but I am finding the tribrid Hikvision HD Turbo with associated cameras from MIECCTV is generating the highest profit margin.  I've had no call backs & rock solid performance.  Easy to use interface with all the features you expect.

The Dahua stuff is also great but slightly more expensive.

Over thepast 4 years I have installed so many different bits of kit to try to find a decent regular supplier that I can get to know inside out... year before last I installed several Luxrite systems, then last year mainly Alien DVRs from Systemq.  All work great with no issues, but price wise more costly.

I suppose time will tell whether I get a call back after a year or 5 years!

Thanks again for all your replies...

• 1 year later...

Am i correct in saying sdi has essentially been killed off like ahd , so won't be available much in the future ?

Market leaders tvi and cvi

But straight ip onvif still have advantage of compatibility 

9 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Am i correct in saying sdi has essentially been killed off like ahd , so won't be available much in the future ?

Market leaders tvi and cvi

But straight ip onvif still have advantage of compatibility 

yea SDI has been killed off , didn't relise AHD had been tho. 

One supplier had been releasing new products a few weeks ago.-thinkig now maybe old stock to shift. 

Yes old stock , I see allot of offers on ahd , cheap installs all sorts , from what I can see they won't be making to much in the future but who knows

AHD is still available HDCVI seems to be the new format. That said China still has a few boatloads of 480tvl domes with 3.5 lenses coming soon to a pound-shop near you, apparently Eastern Europe have found out you can get 700tvl cameras now  

• Upvote 1