Security Installer Community

Texecom Cie Fault - Control4 System

Good evening all.

I am after a little advice for anyone who has come across a CIE fault on a Texecom.

I used to work as a NACOSS installer for 10 years before starting my own company installing Home Automation.

We have a site with a Texecom Elite 48 panel, system is nothing to complex but it is linked into a Control4 home automation system.

We keep getting a CIE fault on setting the alarm, the panel is talking to Control4 on RS232 at the moment.

We have also tried a COMIP but still the fault comes back.

We have ACT filters fitted in the panel, the system has been in for around a year in total.

I am open to any info or thoughts at what might be causing the CIE fault.

Thanks

CIE fault occurs when user code is entered and as soon as you press YES to select Arm the panel crashes and displays CIE on the Texecom Keypad.

Date and Time are reset, taking the panel into engineer mode and back out again clears the fault.

We never seem to get the CIE fault when setting for the C4 system.

I can get a Log from the C4 system but nothing is given away that sounds out.

So far the COMIP and RS232 Module cause the same issues.

Fireware is 2.09

I have another couple of systems out there running various versions of panels, firmware and C4 versions as well.

Yep tried that, also replaced the PCB and PSU although same version.

Control4 thought it might be powered related so disconnected the LS, this seemed to help for 5 days but now seems to crash just as frequent again.

The other site is running Version 2.11

Any recent C4 firmware updates been applied? Try updating panel firmware? Do you have a ground between C4 and panel on 232? Does it still do it when you physically disconnect C4 and set from keypad?

No changes on site, just got a phone call from the client one day. C4 is running 2.5.3 at the moment.

Tempted to update to 2.6 tomorrow when on site but that is a big update to do. 

Might be worth updating the panel to 2.11 at the same time i guess, is this the latest firmware??

Ground should be good although haven't checked since going back to RS232

When it was on the IPCOM up to last week i could take the IP settings away from the Control4 system and all would seem to be happy. It would seem its as soon as the system sends data to Control4 it crashes. 

What is an opto isolator?

Optical isolator - as it says on the tin.. Can you reconfigure the 232 port on C4 to do something else (doesn't matter what) to prove it works properly? Might be putting out ***** and killing the panel?

Optical isolator is worth looking at, never used one before.

I can reconfirgure the 232 to not be connected to the texecom, effectively the C4 is a virtual keypad so always checking for data with the texecom and reporting back and forth so i wonder if i bad response causes the crash.

Think i need to spend some time making sure i can create the fault and then try firmware updates first.

Is the CIE a common fault?

The building is quite large and some of the C4 kit is in a second rack on a different mains phase, could this be an issue?

I can reconfirgure the 232 to not be connected to the texecom, effectively the C4 is a virtual keypad

Configure it to do something else otherwise you're not proving if it works or not.

Is the CIE a common fault?

Never heard of it before!

The building is quite large and some of the C4 kit is in a second rack on a different mains phase, could this be an issue?

Are the 2 bits of kit connected by 232 on the same phase?

even more reason to fit an isolator!

the only time i've ever had a CIE fault on a texecom was on a system where someone wired a relay to switch mains, and wired it directly to a digi output on the panel.

on reading the log i noticed the panel usually crashed when said output had activated, looked at the relay and saw evidence of arcing so i'm guessing it sent some spiked voltage to the panel and reset it.

sounds like your issue could be similar, if the control4 is on a different phase then the serial link could be getting some iffy voltage from somewhere.

CIE Fault is basically the control panel "crashing" and will require a power cycle to clear normally. You will also notice the time resets as well.

With faults like this it is best to isolate one thing at a time to diagnose the issue. Personally I would start by ruling out if it is the comms that is causing the issue in the first place.

FWIW all the CIE faults I have had in the past have been mains related, mains spikes, prepay meters/MCBs tripping out, noisy equipment on same CU.

Does the timing of the issue relate to any changes or new equipment?

• 1 year later...

We have had this happening on a site over the past week. I notice its a year old thread and there was no conclusion so I thought I would add what we know.

We had this last year on a 2.09 system and were told that the latest 2.11 firmware would resolve it and it did.

The job this week has a 2.11 big yellow sticker so we thought its not that and tried various PC and IP com cards and asking the client if they have any new electrical gear causing noise, well after speaking to Texecom this afternoon it turns out we have 2.11.4 and the fix was not until 2.11.10 so we are going there next week to flash the system to the latest 2.11 version.

Bizarre thing is the panel has had no issue for 9 months, go figure!

I hope this helps anyone who googles CIE Fault as I did and came across this this thread.

By the way hello all :proud:

Ian

Edited by 21stCenturyElec