Security Installer Community

PDA's for theStaff

Guest Dave the alarm man

Guest Dave the alarm man

Has anybody lobbed the job sheets out & moved to pda's yet?

Where toying with the idea (currently using Pc data's Alarm Master)

And I was wondering what your pratical experiances have been?, using Mentor / Alarm Master ect... before we take the plunge.

And I was wondering what your pratical experiances have been?, using Mentor / Alarm Master ect... before we take the plunge.

25937[/snapback]

We are going to try HP iPaq h6340 as soon it is available. Almost like PC + it has GSM/GPRS/Wi-Fi and camera.. But no experience yet..

By now everybody has a laptop which is ofcourse good, but something you can't really carry with you all the time.

Though I don't believe that laptops disappear, but are not needed as often.

Dave

Im pleased to say we are completely wire free. This subject has been approached on a number of occasions on this forum and i have had some members give me advice. Needles to say i have checked out the advice and am quite satisfied that no other alarm data co is able to supply the wire free fix we have. If you are interested in how we use our product PM me and i will run you through the system and pitfalls.

Jef

Customers!

Dave

Im pleased to say we are completely wire free. This subject has been approached on a number of occasions on this forum and i have had some members give me advice. Needles to say i have checked out the advice and am quite satisfied that no other alarm data co is able to supply the wire free fix we have. If you are interested in how we use our product PM me and i will run you through the system and pitfalls.

Jef

25954[/snapback]

Can I PM you too? I am very interested to be completely wire free too.

25968[/snapback]

No point! our Database is based around ACPO, BS4737 & NACOSS It is also dependant on a tracking system that may not be available in Finland (although it does take in most of Europe).

Jef

Customers!

25968[/snapback]

No point! our Database is based around ACPO, BS4737 & NACOSS It is also dependant on a tracking system that may not be available in Finland (although it does take in most of Europe).

Jef

25973[/snapback]

For the moment there is not any kind of official regulations in Finland. Insurance companies are having their own system but they don't mind if system isn't made according to them :lol: . Anyhow, soon we all have EN - dictations, so if your database is based around ACPO, BS4737 & NACOSS ( I have no idea what they are but I guess they have something to do with regulations :huh: ) it is okay with me :yes: .

We're using XDA11 with Mentor software. Its great not having to write down a name address etc. The GPRS can be a bit flaky though, usually a soft reset does the trick.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

we,ve just being issued with HP IPAQ POCKET PC,with mentor software.

i never spoken to office so little!! ;)

the IPAQ also has some software on it called nevo that you can utilize to turn the IPAQ into a remote control for anything that is controlled by an IR remote - such fun!! :lol:

one of the disappointing things about the IPAQ is its battery : - you have to keep it constantly on charge when not in use otherwise it goes flat and you lose all your data - its already caught me out oncerealmad:, luckily i backed up to the card and was able to reload with all my data etc up to close of business on that day

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Not if the programme or Ipaq are password protected. It's no different to a laptop with regard to storing electronic data

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Not if the programme or Ipaq are password protected.
Not exactly - see below. You may need more.
It's no different to a laptop with regard to storing electronic data

Generally true.

------------------------------

The Data Protection Act, and the guidance given by the Information Commissioner, requires that "appropriate" measures are taken to protect data. This would typically include physical protection, access restrictions and backups (very important). Obviously a very small portable device like a PDA may need another level of protection above a laptop. Both are very "nickable" but you can't slip a laptop in your pocket.

And the measures need to be appropriate to the data and the real or potential damage caused by access or loss.

Obviously a very small portable device like a PDA may need another level of protection above a laptop. Both are very "nickable" but you can't slip a laptop in your pocket.

The PDA only carries as much information as a job sheet, and is in the engineers possession for a lot less time (the information that is). It is sent back to the office immediately on job completion. PDA info is neither an attachment or an e-mail (when done properly) and thus not stored on the PDA. The whole point of the PDA is to get away from engineers loosing paper thus revenue and in any event i am personal amased at just how much private info some companies send out on job sheets like for example keyholder details. This is normally a directors private home tel. No. not for the prying eyes of their staff.

Jef

Customers!

• 2 months later...

25937[/snapback]

Dave an update on the PDA thing. As i described we are using PDA with GPRS 6310 on orange. This was due to the call sharing on O2 XDA not being viable to us. Have you seen the new Orange SPV M2000 yet. I was looking for new PDA's when i came across this. On upgrade 5 phones/PDA's are £90 each this will save me nearly a grand on PDA's. waiting for them to come into stock so dont order any until i get mine.

Jef

Customers!

What was the problem with the XDA?

36144[/snapback]

Great bit of kit. The problem is the share plan we have 8 phones with orange on a share plan talk something or other. O2 wanted £25 per hanset per month.

jef

Customers!

Guest Dave the alarm man
Dave an update on the PDA thing. As i described we are using PDA with GPRS 6310 on orange. This was due to the call sharing on O2 XDA not being viable to us. Have you seen the new Orange SPV M2000 yet. I was looking for new PDA's when i came across this. On upgrade 5 phones/PDA's are £90 each this will save me nearly a grand on PDA's. waiting for them to come into stock so dont order any until i get mine.

Jef

36143[/snapback]

Not moved foward on the pda thing as yet, but thank for keep us posted.

Jef

36143[/snapback]

We too ue the 6310 with an hp pda

i presume the m2000 is capable of running mentor?

is the battery life in use better than an normal pda?

is the an car kit/cradle available so as you can use legally on move/charge whilst driving?

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

We too ue the 6310 with an hp pda

i presume the m2000 is capable of running mentor?

is the battery life in use better than an normal pda?

is the an car kit/cradle available so as you can use legally on move/charge whilst driving?

36511[/snapback]

Don’t know yet haven’t got one. It wont matter either as we will use the Arkron GPS mount with co-pilot live and job no’s as POI. so the thing will be on charge all the time. I looked at Mentor (its just a business package) and bloody expensive,

Jef

Customers!

cost is'nt my department i just use it! :blink:

its just we use the PDA for calls/papaerwork etc and the phone as a phone so to speak (and to recieve the calls as e-mails etc).

it would be a lot easy with just one unit. the maim reason the company did,nt get the PDA as a phone was the non avaialabity of an suitable car kit.

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

cost is'nt my department i just use it! :blink:

it would be a lot easy with just one unit. the maim reason the company did,nt get the PDA as a phone was the non avaialabity of an suitable car kit.

36516[/snapback]

Paul We use the exact same set up as you at the moment 6310 +PDA + blue tooth earpiece + co-pilot live. It seems you are lite years a head of the crowd. Will keep you posted when i (If it ever arrives) get the new all in one phone.

jef

Customers!

Archived