Security Installer Community

PDA's for theStaff

Guest Dave the alarm man

Not if the programme or Ipaq are password protected. It's no different to a laptop with regard to storing electronic data

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not if the programme or Ipaq are password protected.
Not exactly - see below. You may need more.
It's no different to a laptop with regard to storing electronic data

Generally true.

------------------------------

The Data Protection Act, and the guidance given by the Information Commissioner, requires that "appropriate" measures are taken to protect data. This would typically include physical protection, access restrictions and backups (very important). Obviously a very small portable device like a PDA may need another level of protection above a laptop. Both are very "nickable" but you can't slip a laptop in your pocket.

And the measures need to be appropriate to the data and the real or potential damage caused by access or loss.

Obviously a very small portable device like a PDA may need another level of protection above a laptop. Both are very "nickable" but you can't slip a laptop in your pocket.

The PDA only carries as much information as a job sheet, and is in the engineers possession for a lot less time (the information that is). It is sent back to the office immediately on job completion. PDA info is neither an attachment or an e-mail (when done properly) and thus not stored on the PDA. The whole point of the PDA is to get away from engineers loosing paper thus revenue and in any event i am personal amased at just how much private info some companies send out on job sheets like for example keyholder details. This is normally a directors private home tel. No. not for the prying eyes of their staff.

Jef

Customers!

• 2 months later...
Where toying with the idea (currently using Pc data's Alarm Master)

25937[/snapback]

Dave an update on the PDA thing. As i described we are using PDA with GPRS 6310 on orange. This was due to the call sharing on O2 XDA not being viable to us. Have you seen the new Orange SPV M2000 yet. I was looking for new PDA's when i came across this. On upgrade 5 phones/PDA's are £90 each this will save me nearly a grand on PDA's. waiting for them to come into stock so dont order any until i get mine.

Jef

Customers!

What was the problem with the XDA?

36144[/snapback]

Great bit of kit. The problem is the share plan we have 8 phones with orange on a share plan talk something or other. O2 wanted £25 per hanset per month.

jef

Customers!

Archived