Security Installer Community

Ip Cctv Cameras

Was looking to buy a IP CCTV camera and wanted some advice on a good make and model.

Would like to have a PoE and be able to stream in real time to an iPad or Mac.

Also would like an external camera with night vision capability.

Was thinking around £200 or so for each camera.

So was thinking about the hikivision or may be samsung.

Any views and ideas?

We had the LED issue. Nothing since updating camera firmware. I was informed it was caused by an apple device remotely accessing the machine for the first time, causing the glitch.

When you say die.. Do you mean for good, or crashes and in need of a reboot?

Not good.

Our troublesome unit is constantly crashing. "Abnormal shutdown" in the log.

Majority of the time is linked to a remote playback log in from the customers ipad2 at pretty much exactly the same time. ADI have reported to hik, see where we get.

Thanks for the responses. Seems to be a bit of a mixed picture in terms of the hikivision.

Looking in the same price area then I saw that there is also a brand called Dahau, which I think is a Chinese company similar to hikivision.

I also saw a brand called vivotek. So not sure if anyone has used these. 

The axis seem to be a very good brand but cost is to high for me.

Another choice could be a samsung tech win. Any ideas?

We have fitted 100s of Axis cameras with only one not working out of the box, some of them have now been fitted 3 years and not a single problem.

Also the Axis video encoders and I/O mod's have been 100% trouble free aswell.

Not good.

Our troublesome unit is constantly crashing. "Abnormal shutdown" in the log.

Majority of the time is linked to a remote playback log in from the customers ipad2 at pretty much exactly the same time. ADI have reported to hik, see where we get.

If we have issues we phone HIK direct now as they have a local number and based in berkshire.

We have had no trouble with HIK, fitted one of their IP PTZ's last week, well impressed

We have fited some of these with the 150m IR leds and I was impressed with the night vision.

• 3 months later...

does everyone have problems with hik vision? Is it cheap brand? Few cameras I have done have been analogue Samsung and a few honeywells both still expensive to buy

What hd camera would you recommend ie 1080p or? Standard svr not nvr type

• 5 months later...

I'm a big fan of Hikvision cameras - very good value for money. Find samsung to be over priced. 

Only thing with Hikvision is they discontinued a lot of models in the last year and started replacing them with more expensive "upgraded" versions. I guess they are just doing what many manufacturers do. But their cameras are very good - we've been using them for years and have never had any problems. Make sure you get them from a reputable seller thought, or you might end up with a Chinese version of the interface. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of Hikvision cameras - very good value for money. Find samsung to be over priced. 

Only thing with Hikvision is they discontinued a lot of models in the last year and started replacing them with more expensive "upgraded" versions. I guess they are just doing what many manufacturers do. But their cameras are very good - we've been using them for years and have never had any problems. Make sure you get them from a reputable seller thought, or you might end up with a Chinese version of the interface. 

I belive a lot of manufactures have been discontinuing/upgrading models to make them onvif compliant. 

+1 for the Dahua/Qvis cameras, have 1 150 camera install with Exacqvision and another with 28 on Qvis Terminator NVR, both fit and forget with fantastic image quality.

• 2 years later...
On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 18:14, FalconSecurity said:

Thanks for the responses. Seems to be a bit of a mixed picture in terms of the hikivision.

Looking in the same price area then I saw that there is also a brand called Dahau, which I think is a Chinese company similar to hikivision.

I also saw a brand called vivotek. So not sure if anyone has used these. 

The axis seem to be a very good brand but cost is to high for me.

Another choice could be a samsung tech win. Any ideas?

We use Dahua cameras and cant complain about them but Hikvision on the other hand I found to be confusing but its probably the difference in programming. Haven't used any others though in the ip range.

God if you find Hik confusing you have no chance with proper CCTV, the main reason Hik is so popular is because no skill is required to install it, a trained monkey can do it. No set up, no back focusing, no setting changes required, just plug and play. Every security company, photo copy shop, locksmith, and painter and decorator is installing Hik down south. Personally I hate the stuff its cheap, no skill required to fit it, it has been hacked on a grand scale, oh and its 42% Chinese state owned. Dahua are similar to Hik in the big scheme of things, its hard to avoid Chinese stuff. 

• Like 1