Security Installer Community

On Call Rate

Prodigious

£20 commision to the engineer for a lock swap? You said the other day your company charge the customer £5 for a lock swap. Some of the things you come out with are just plain odd. Are you now saying that on top of 28 days holiday you get an additional 7.4 weeks of holiday as time in lieu evey year for doing standby 1 in 7?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why you would get £20 commission for a lock swap baffles me

Surely a lock would only be recommended if the job genuinely required it, I would hope.
Why would it need you "or the engineer" pushing or recommending for it, hence getting commission ??

Sounds wrong, It makes it look like there is an incentive to push for things that would not need be replaced, just for the commission 

That's like saying every battery backup I swap, I will get £5 or £10 for.... If the job genuinely needed it, then the job must have it regardless.

Sounds wrong, It makes it look like there is an incentive to push for things that would not need be replaced, just for the commission 

That's like saying every battery backup I swap, I will get £5 or £10 for.... If the job genuinely needed it, then the job must have it regardless.

This happens at our place. £5 for a battery replacement. Service engineers also get commission for any Pir's they replace which like you say seems daft when it requires replacing anyway, just encouraging more blagging. Business is business though and i guess the figures make sense to the accountants. I suspect the customers would be far from pleased if the ever found out though. 

Nah I am salaried,  My wage is £20-£30k a year,    We get paid per hour on call thou for example I be on call for weekend so that is between 7pm to 8am. = 11 hours.

Hopefully I explain this better - 

For for 11 hours we get £2.50 x 11 = £27.50

If I get a call for any part of they 11 hours I get £8.50 x Hours = Y 

We don't get mega bucks unlike our competitors however we also get a day in leu which is worth it! 

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Fancy moving South for a pay rise?

£20 commision to the engineer for a lock swap? You said the other day your company charge the customer £5 for a lock swap. Some of the things you come out with are just plain odd. Are you now saying that on top of 28 days holiday you get an additional 7.4 weeks of holiday as time in lieu evey year for doing standby 1 in 7?

My company has several pricing lists - Depending on loads and different pricing for different contracts too.

For example if you want £5 lock you need to pre-book appointment and you get told what your appointment normally 6 weeks away and Qualify for it.  For a normal lock swap you you need pay about £45-70 depending on lock. 

The On Call Lieu time is treated like flexi time. - On my 28days you need to take away 5 days over xmas and new year as business is shut, Bank Holidays and Public Holidays.    As work puts them all together.

Why you would get £20 commission for a lock swap baffles me

Surely a lock would only be recommended if the job genuinely required it, I would hope.

Why would it need you "or the engineer" pushing or recommending for it, hence getting commission ??

Its about £10-20 commission depending on lock and its just like our Sales guys going out to signing up somebody with a new system.

They get a % of that alarm and servicing job.  

I get Commission if I sign somebody up on a service agreement or if I book them for more work or replace something. 

I also get commission if they take out a service agreement on heating and electrical protection.  

I can go into a business and fix there alarm and they ask about CCTV,  If my colleagues can successfully get CCTV installed and Serviced I get a commission of that sale or even better example was a Family just moved into house and they simply asked if I know anyone who can service boilers. 'Well our company does that, Why don't I get somebody to phone you about it' 

Why should you not get a commission for helping a customer.  Our company is strict on selling as any items broken we had to replace must come back to the depot and they check it.

This happens at our place. £5 for a battery replacement. Service engineers also get commission for any Pir's they replace which like you say seems daft when it requires replacing anyway, just encouraging more blagging. Business is business though and i guess the figures make sense to the accountants. I suspect the customers would be far from pleased if the ever found out though. 

Its quite common,  I know people will replace stuff not needed replaced but our company is strict on it as they test anything which we replace is checked and people do get pulled in about it.   You know BritishGas Heating Engineers mostly work for themselves like a franchise and get big commissions on items sold on faults and etc.  (So I been told)

Edited by AlarmScot

Fancy moving South for a pay rise?

I actully would not as I enjoy what I do up here, I enjoy the customers and my patch and I start at 8.30am and finished most days around 5pm

Really?

Yea so I got told by one BG engineer.  Might be he was just being big headed but seems a British Gas as there thieving wee B*******

Its the same with the RAC and the Water board theyre all subbies

I never knew that with RAC,  I knew AA as my pal is an AA Recovery Guy.   He says there told if somebody at roadside to pull up and ask if they need help and if they say yes.  He got to say "I can help you but I need you to join the AA" 

What's with this testing thing, I'm sure many of us replace an old PIR for FA'ing even if it isn't obviously 'broken'...

Do your company have a fully staffed soak testing suite to catch out false comission claiming engineers?

I can't (immediately) believe they waste their time and energy testing anything brought back to be honest...

The only time I do it is if its something I've changed under warranty and only if I'm being OCD.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

The On Call Lieu time is treated like flexi time. - On my 28days you need to take away 5 days over xmas and new year as business is shut, Bank Holidays and Public Holidays.    As work puts them all together.

so you get one lieu day per week on call,thats 7 minus the stat hols that come off your entitlement that leaves you with 2 extra days for working on call for £11 ph and you say the pay is great?id take up petes offer if i was you,the van only has one previous owner,granted he was a knacker

What's with this testing thing, I'm sure many of us replace an old PIR for FA'ing even if it isn't obviously 'broken'...

Do your company have a fully staffed soak testing suite to catch out false comission claiming engineers?

I can't (immediately) believe they waste their time and energy testing anything brought back to be honest...

The only time I do it is if its something I've changed under warranty and only if I'm being OCD.

They do test them and about 3 guys who check the boards and if there poor standards they return to supplier and charge the supplier for the 'Sub Standard Item' however It does not matter as we can't be putting our waste in customer bins as its not company policy and if council catches us doing it I know they come down hard. 

Can you book me in for a couple of brushed silver assa locks for the house and one for the unit, and i'll even give you a 20 you can keep the change. Not in any rush bud, 6-8 weeks is fine.

If you qualify you would of got a letter and visit from a team with our number on it.   

so you get one lieu day per week on call,thats 7 minus the stat hols that come off your entitlement that leaves you with 2 extra days for working on call for £11 ph and you say the pay is great?id take up petes offer if i was you,the van only has one previous owner,granted he was a knacker

Pay me 150k and I move plus Home Move Costs + Buy me a new house. 

They do test them and about 3 guys who check the boards and if there poor standards they return to supplier and charge the supplier for the 'Sub Standard Item' however It does not matter as we can't be putting our waste in customer bins as its not company policy and if council catches us doing it I know they come down hard. 

if you employ 3 people to check returns your using the wrong kit

thats a £130k pay rise,can he not just pay you £12ph on call

if you employ 3 people to check returns your using the wrong kit

thats a £130k pay rise,can he not just pay you £12ph on call

1) Employing 3 people to check faults. 

They do more than just checking faults.  They do a lot of Pre-configure stuff and activate licences and build CCTV systems and etc

2) Hey my hourly rate more bout £15-£20 a hour!!!