Security Installer Community

Another Which Panel Thread, Galaxy G2-20 Vs Galaxy Flex 20 For Some Automation

Hi all,

I’m selecting a panel for my home, I’ve got a Honeywell G4 at the minute and I’m happy enough with this but it’s a bit limited on the output side. I’ve spoken to a few people and nosed around various forums, some have said Galaxy G2’s are bullet proof where as the newer Flex series can be a bit buggy but are worth the investment.

Not too worried about scoping for size. I’ve got two external doors that will have magnetic contacts and 6-7 PIR sensors throughout the house, A bell box (or two) and three keypads. I believe either system should be good with this.

My real question is on the I/O side of things. I have a fairly involved monitoring system and home automation system that’s going to be attached to this. The monitoring system and home automation needs a few lines out for the following:

2x System Armed / Disarmed

2x Intruder Alert

2x Duress / PA

1x Motion, even when the system is disarmed

All in addition to the standard SCB / Bell Box connections.

One set of outputs will be for remote monitoring the other set is for the home automation system.

So I make that seven outputs in all + bell box’s, I was told the Galaxy Flex 20 can be setup like this and to get a “Trigger module 8 outputs - A071-00-01” however hearing of some issues with the Flex 20 I wanted to make sure.

1. This is possible and will work on the Flex 20 without needing to buy more hardware?
  2. That I’m not being up sold the Flex over the Galaxy G2-20 unnecessarily and have the reliability bite me later on?

Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks

Not sure about the '1x Motion, even when the system is disarmed' feature.  Do you mean as an aggregate of any motion detector in the system ?  If so, this would probably need to be done in software.

The G2 is a solid panel, but doesn't really hit the spot when it comes to home automation.  It has a limited set of output options / links.  The Flex is okay, but I would still opt for a Dimension 48 which has a nice big metal case for extra boards and a big reliable wirewound transformer.

Dimension all the way, shed loads on ebay for a really decent price.  Just make sure you get one with a recent software version.

2x System Armed / Disarmed  (Set output)

2x Intruder Alert  (intruder output)

2x Duress / PA  (Pa output)

1x Motion, even when the system is disarmed  (ready output)

egg03064.gif

• 6 years later...

Thought I'd tag on to this thread.  Need to fit a panel to a place, pretty standard, nothing fancy, few PIRs and a couple of door/window contacts but want to be able to check alerts/log and activate/deactivate remotely.  Only just found out about GX Remote (must be way out of touch!) and Galaxy Guys SelfMon (weird name but sounds good!) which can be used with Dimension and flex.

Flex seems more suited to "home" use and has the option of a GSM module. Dimension doesn't have the GSM module (strange as the G2 44+ has/had it) but has a lovely metal box and as mentioned above a chunky 2.5A transformer compared to 1A in the Flex.

Both have the ethernet option of course.

Is an ethernet notification considered as reliable as an SMS notification?  I'd prefer the Dimension just for the metal case to be honest.

Also is GX remote still a bit flakey?

17 hours ago, Driller said:

Thought I'd tag on to this thread.  Need to fit a panel to a place, pretty standard, nothing fancy, few PIRs and a couple of door/window contacts but want to be able to check alerts/log and activate/deactivate remotely.  Only just found out about GX Remote (must be way out of touch!) and Galaxy Guys SelfMon (weird name but sounds good!) which can be used with Dimension and flex.

Flex seems more suited to "home" use and has the option of a GSM module. Dimension doesn't have the GSM module (strange as the G2 44+ has/had it) but has a lovely metal box and as mentioned above a chunky 2.5A transformer compared to 1A in the Flex.

Both have the ethernet option of course.

Is an ethernet notification considered as reliable as an SMS notification?  I'd prefer the Dimension just for the metal case to be honest.

Also is GX remote still a bit flakey?

SelfMon provides automated polled path checks, so that gives peace of mind that things are always being checked in the background.  It also has several messaging methods to contact you depending on how you configure reporting.  For example, you can set up Push Notification, SMS, Voice Messaging or Email. Combinations of these can be configured.

I don't use the GX app personally, as it's too much of a hassle to log in. The latest release does seem to be stable enough though.  The new SelfMon vmod also supports a keypad over MQTT, so with programs like home assistant, you have instant access to the keypad without all the login and connection issues.

The Dimension does have a supported option for GSM (GT40), but it was really poor.

On 16/08/2021 at 22:00, MrHappy said:

Euro 280...

Is that your hourly rate?

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out, I like their PIRs FWIW

7 hours ago, GalaxyGuy said:

SelfMon provides automated polled path checks, so that gives peace of mind that things are always being checked in the background.  It also has several messaging methods to contact you depending on how you configure reporting.  For example, you can set up Push Notification, SMS, Voice Messaging or Email. Combinations of these can be configured.

I don't use the GX app personally, as it's too much of a hassle to log in. The latest release does seem to be stable enough though.  The new SelfMon vmod also supports a keypad over MQTT, so with programs like home assistant, you have instant access to the keypad without all the login and connection issues.

The Dimension does have a supported option for GSM (GT40), but it was really poor.

Well I'll certainly get Selfmon, without wanting to flatter you, you really seem to know your stuff so I can only imaging it's a great app. I'll check out the GT40 then. If it's ok to discuss, what are your thoughts on the reliability of using IP for alarm notifications vs GSM? They use IP for ARCs with backup I guess.

14 hours ago, Driller said:

Is that your hourly rate?

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out, I like their PIRs FWIW

Well I'll certainly get Selfmon, without wanting to flatter you, you really seem to know your stuff so I can only imaging it's a great app. I'll check out the GT40 then. If it's ok to discuss, what are your thoughts on the reliability of using IP for alarm notifications vs GSM? They use IP for ARCs with backup I guess.

I really wouldn't bother with the GT40. A better option would be to add GPRS backed failover to your router (a few suppliers are offering this unbreakable broadband type deal). Then add a UPS and ensure the area it's located in is protected by an instant alarm.

If you add a UPS to your GSM backed broadband MODEM/router, then that combined with regular IP path polling provides decent coverage of any attempt at tampering.  There are still some benefits of having a tampered self contained GSM communicator, but nothing is 100% infallible.  If you're getting to the point where the value and risk are very high, then you really need to start thinking about professional installation with manned monitoring and high frequency polling.

18 minutes ago, GalaxyGuy said:

I really wouldn't bother with the GT40. A better option would be to add GPRS backed failover to your router (a few suppliers are offering this unbreakable broadband type deal). Then add a UPS and ensure the area it's located in is protected by an instant alarm.

If you add a UPS to your GSM backed broadband MODEM/router, then that combined with regular IP path polling provides decent coverage of any attempt at tampering.  There are still some benefits of having a tampered self contained GSM communicator, but nothing is 100% infallible.  If you're getting to the point where the value and risk are very high, then you really need to start thinking about professional installation with manned monitoring and high frequency polling.

Got it. I reckon then, all things considered, IP signalling only is more than adequate for this property. As you suggest, any higher need for security should logically be taken care of on a pro level to be worth anything.

I’ll finish looking at that Euro280 and then make the choice between that and the Dimension.