Security Installer Community

Cutting Power To Music Equipment - Anything New Out There

It was more of a small venues that have mobile disco,s. village halls and wedding venue.

I was wondering how much of a no no was putting a rcd on the circuit and unbalancing the coil via a suitable resistor,  a 8k  one connected between Live output and Neutral input would give 30mA enough to trip the RCD. After all that is all the test button does.

Trade Member

It was more of a small venues that have mobile disco,s. village halls and wedding venue.

I was wondering how much of a no no was putting a rcd on the circuit and unbalancing the coil via a suitable resistor,  a 8k  one connected between Live output and Neutral input would give 30mA enough to trip the RCD. After all that is all the test button does.

you're talking about shorting live and neutral? no matter what resistor you use, you can't be serious! fire alarms are not supposed to create fires!

if you must do that, short between earth and neutral - but i wouldn't advise that either.

Well that didn't go down well with the tsi massive!

I agree this definitely should be done using a contactor. I am sure you could find or make up a contactor with a manual reset button if you would prefer a clean push button start.

Also I feel it's best to have the sockets in question marked in some way (colour and a warning?) to indicate they are isolated automatically in a fire.

There also might be a slight flaw in your idea to imbalance the RCD.

If I understand RCD's correctly they may not trip out if there are certain faults in the field wiring.

Say a high ohm neutral-earth fault develops on the circuit (or a device for that matter) with a very light load, the imbalance may not be enough to trip the RCD.

At the end of the day the RCD is a protection device not an isolation device it should be used in that way IMHO.

How about training a monkey to listen out for a siren and turn the power off?

And then when it was the end of the night or there wasn't a booking it could earn £££s for you installing alarms!

BOOM BOOM!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands