Security Installer Community

Pet Detector

Adi

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

We used Visonic K-980 for years. The only problems we had were 2 faulty units. We now use either them or the GardTec ones. If most alarm companies install pet-immune detectors (and they do) and we don't, then when the other quoting companies tell the client that PI's work and are fine, there is no way we are going to get the job. PI's are fine for most domestic situations. Sometimes, I think we look too carefully at the intricacies and operating tolerances of a system. Even if the detector didn't pick you up immediately, it will very quickly; you can't crawl around forever, and crawling does not necessarily mean the PI PIR won't see you. If you wanted to crawl around and use furniture for cover and crawl under PIR's then the alarm wouldn't go off anyway even with a standard PIR (most PIR's don't have and don't need look down zones). And how likley is it that a burglar would know all the locations of the devices, what type they are, and the layout of the house? Keep things in perspective.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

We used Visonic K-980 for years. The only problems we had were 2 faulty units. We now use either them or the GardTec ones. If most alarm companies install pet-immune detectors (and they do) and we don't, then when the other quoting companies tell the client that PI's work and are fine, there is no way we are going to get the job. PI's are fine for most domestic situations. Sometimes, I think we look too carefully at the intricacies and operating tolerances of a system. Even if the detector didn't pick you up immediately, it will very quickly; you can't crawl around forever, and crawling does not necessarily mean the PI PIR won't see you. If you wanted to crawl around and use furniture for cover and crawl under PIR's then the alarm wouldn't go off anyway even with a standard PIR (most PIR's don't have and don't need look down zones). And how likley is it that a burglar would know all the locations of the devices, what type they are, and the layout of the house? Keep things in perspective.

57313[/snapback]

You know i just read this post and realised why we are about to grade all our systems. The powers that be realise that some of us care and others just don

Customers!

Hello Adi,

Regardless of the manufacturers 'blurb' you will compromise coverage with pet detectors,  :no:

Is there no alternative? :yes:

25178[/snapback]

Quoted for agreement!!!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

You know i just read this post and realised why we are about to grade all our systems. The powers that be realise that some of us care and others just don

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

This is an exerpt from your website:  :rolleyes:

57434[/snapback]

OPTEX RX40QZ Are Not Pet Detectors! The extract is straight from Optex. We DONT fit pet detectors. As this undermines security. And we don

Customers!

As most pet detectors dont pick up up to 80lb, what would happen if the average drug addict broke in who is 5 stone wet through, when 80lb works out to 5.72 stone.

So the average drug user would be able to clean out a house if around 5 stone, watch out for the drug addicts on diets.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

OPTEX RX40QZ Are Not Pet Detectors! The extract is straight from Optex. We DONT fit pet detectors. As this undermines security. And we don

As most pet detectors dont pick up up to 80lb, what would happen if the average drug addict broke in who is 5 stone wet through, when 80lb works out to 5.72 stone.

So the average drug user would be able to clean out a house if around 5 stone, watch out for the drug addicts on diets.

57511[/snapback]

Funny. PIR's can't actually weigh you can they? People have different movemements to those of cats, hence algorithms. PI detectors are designed not to FA if you have cats and dogs. But if your 3 cats stood on each other's backs and waved at the detector it would go off - same if the dog thought it was a person and paraded around on its 2 hind legs. How is your 5 stone junky going to get from A to B, pick up and move items, rifle through drawers and cupboards without tripping the detector?

More and more people are getting pets. Every detector manufacturer makes pet immune detectors. I would say that most installers use them. Regardless of what anyone says, we are all in business to make money. It's not a question of shirking standards or installing non-complying products. If we install these units and they work, and SSAIB, NSI, ABI and ACPO don't have a problem with them, then I can't see why not use them.

But if you have empirical evidence against them, then please share it.

Regards

In the past, we have suggested to clients that they lock the pet in the kitchen or some place, and either put just one PI in there, or use some other technology. But, when it is time for the client to go out, he/she has no idea where the pet is, and will either waste time trying to find it, set the alarm only for it to trip later (cos of the pet), or not set the alarm at all.

Walking away from clients due to them wanting pet immune detectors is ridiculous. Even if we had the luxury (by that I mean having thousands of clients) I wouldn't. At least not witout real evidence (rather than opinion) that there is a serious problem with pet immune detectors.

Funny. PIR's can't actually weigh you can they?

57513[/snapback]

On most pet PIRs it says upto 80lbs, so in theroy somebody 80lbs or less could clear you house out, I think a insurance company could decide to claim on you 'wrongful advice' 'failure to operate' insurance.

Zak, your logo looks alot like somebody on ebay selling dummy boxes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...5981621227&rd=1

Just wondering if it is you or has somebidy pinched you logo.

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

In the past, we have suggested to clients that they lock the pet in the kitchen or some place, and either put just one PI in there, or use some other technology. But, when it is time for the client to go out, he/she has no idea where the pet is, and will either waste time trying to find it, set the alarm only for it to trip later (cos of the pet), or not set the alarm at all.

Walking away from clients due to them wanting pet immune detectors is ridiculous. Even if we had the luxury (by that I mean having thousands of clients) I wouldn't. At least not witout real evidence (rather than opinion) that there is a serious problem with pet immune detectors.

57514[/snapback]

Zak. As you must you will? We don

Customers!

Thanks for your reply Jeff. I understand your point and don't exactly disagree with some of what you said, but we will have to agree to disagree on some of it! For example, if you have a high-risk domestic or commercial premises where perimeter protection is necessary, I don't see why vibration detectors can't be used. I would never rely on them 100% because you have to reduce the sensitivity in order not to have false alarms. We always insist that they are backed up by PIR's (and yes we have actually lost jobs because of this!). I'd rather have the perimeter protection as part of the overall security package than not.

We don't get many false alarms at all from pet detectors, but (thankfully?) we do not use them too often. Most of our systems are monitored, and as you say, with DD:243 it is really only the customer who will suffer as it is their keyholders who will be called out. A low false alarm rate is important to us too - but until we start experiencing problems with pet situations then we aren't going to stop using them.

Regarding money - we all need to make a living. I would never say that we are in business just to make it though - but if I said that we all work so hard just for the love of the job it would not be exactly true. We are trying to build a professional reputable company and regardless of the amount of advertising we do, the majority of our new business comes from existing customers and referrals. Even ones with pets and shockguards! Bye for now

• 1 year later...

Can i re-open this thread. Some of the pet friendly PIR's mentioned in this thread are disscontinued, so i would like to ask whats recommended these days, im not an alarm installer but i am a spark, so i'd just swap them over my self. We're getting two kittens soon, but they will grow massive (maine coon) and i would imagine to be jumping on the sofa and such, so i need to swap a PIR there (living room) and maybe the kitchen and hall. Wont bother with landing. Could you please suggest whats best and where to get and how much?

thanks in advance.

I don't install alot of PET PIRs but the one's I do and future have to be the VISONIC excellent detectors for immune to animals or the MERCURY another execllent detector. But I always stress to the client to try and min the animal to the high risk area's which we will identify on the risk assesment put the better PIR in there.

Archived