Security Installer Community

Pet Detector

Adi

In the past, we have suggested to clients that they lock the pet in the kitchen or some place, and either put just one PI in there, or use some other technology. But, when it is time for the client to go out, he/she has no idea where the pet is, and will either waste time trying to find it, set the alarm only for it to trip later (cos of the pet), or not set the alarm at all.

Walking away from clients due to them wanting pet immune detectors is ridiculous. Even if we had the luxury (by that I mean having thousands of clients) I wouldn't. At least not witout real evidence (rather than opinion) that there is a serious problem with pet immune detectors.

57514[/snapback]

Zak. As you must you will? We don

Customers!

Thanks for your reply Jeff. I understand your point and don't exactly disagree with some of what you said, but we will have to agree to disagree on some of it! For example, if you have a high-risk domestic or commercial premises where perimeter protection is necessary, I don't see why vibration detectors can't be used. I would never rely on them 100% because you have to reduce the sensitivity in order not to have false alarms. We always insist that they are backed up by PIR's (and yes we have actually lost jobs because of this!). I'd rather have the perimeter protection as part of the overall security package than not.

We don't get many false alarms at all from pet detectors, but (thankfully?) we do not use them too often. Most of our systems are monitored, and as you say, with DD:243 it is really only the customer who will suffer as it is their keyholders who will be called out. A low false alarm rate is important to us too - but until we start experiencing problems with pet situations then we aren't going to stop using them.

Regarding money - we all need to make a living. I would never say that we are in business just to make it though - but if I said that we all work so hard just for the love of the job it would not be exactly true. We are trying to build a professional reputable company and regardless of the amount of advertising we do, the majority of our new business comes from existing customers and referrals. Even ones with pets and shockguards! Bye for now

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

• 1 year later...

Can i re-open this thread. Some of the pet friendly PIR's mentioned in this thread are disscontinued, so i would like to ask whats recommended these days, im not an alarm installer but i am a spark, so i'd just swap them over my self. We're getting two kittens soon, but they will grow massive (maine coon) and i would imagine to be jumping on the sofa and such, so i need to swap a PIR there (living room) and maybe the kitchen and hall. Wont bother with landing. Could you please suggest whats best and where to get and how much?

thanks in advance.

I don't install alot of PET PIRs but the one's I do and future have to be the VISONIC excellent detectors for immune to animals or the MERCURY another execllent detector. But I always stress to the client to try and min the animal to the high risk area's which we will identify on the risk assesment put the better PIR in there.

Guest Alarm Guard
I don't install alot of PET PIRs but the one's I do and future have to be the VISONIC excellent detectors for immune to animals or the MERCURY another execllent detector. But I always stress to the client to try and min the animal to the high risk area's which we will identify on the risk assesment put the better PIR in there.

We also use Visonic. We fit the K9-80 dual techs.

Try Optex RX40 PT

We use them all the time, yet to have 1 false alarm, and to be honest they seem to pick people up just as well as the standard rx40. With Optex you know you are onto a winner

Archived