Security Installer Community

Time For A New Sat Nav

abbz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prefer a standalone windscreen mount. Been happy with my tom Tom but traffics services have just run out and it's nearly £50 to re activate for a year. Friend bought the new go5000 which has lifetime free updates but had to take it back as kept on dropping service and tom tom are aware of it and are working on a fix for it. Further research says they've been working on a fix for last 5 months !!

They are the 2 I've been looking at. Doing a compare side by side i can't see where the £120 difference is between the 2 units. Only main difference as you say is the screen ?

I personally consider it well worth it.

Pin sharp images, cracking display.

Go on, treat yourself.

A colleague had the cheaper one and says it's a good device apart from he can't find a way to disable the poi enabled on device. Now most probably it's him just being thick ? Think your right and I should just treat myself

A colleague had the cheaper one and says it's a good device apart from he can't find a way to disable the poi enabled on device. Now most probably it's him just being thick ? Think your right and I should just treat myself

More options than you can shake a stick at for settings.

I think Matt has shares in them though - i don't think you can turn off the McDonalds poi, but hey, i'm sure we could all find that useful occasionally.

Windscreen mount & smart phone ?

I used to prefer a separate nav but recently got upgraded to a HTC One Mini2 and Im using that now, I can hear it and everything.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Must be made for alarm engineers in mind then !

The one you have does the mount stay on glass and you just remove device or do you always have to remove the device with the mount also ?

I leave the mount on the screen. Holds well.

The satnav is held onto the holder by a super magnet. Connections are part of the fitting so simple to disconnect.

I don' like the phone ones - can't surf the web at the same time. :-

I have one built into the head unit but, whilst good, it just isn't as adaptable as the portable ones - i use it for a journey overview.

Like all toys, i suppose i all depends on how much you'll use it as to its value.

I cover North of Scotland to 6 finger bumpkin territory (Cornwall), so for me, it pays for itself.

The one that came with my jag is very good, I speak the postcode whilst driving along, she tells me if there's a traffic jam ahead and gives me alternative routes. I tell her I'm hungry and she tells me where the nearest eateries are. And to go home I just say navigation go home brilliant

Phone (nexus 6) did audio directions though phone kit (bury 9060)

They kept the launch of that quiet.

The one that came with my jag is very good, I speak the postcode whilst driving along, she tells me if there's a traffic jam ahead and gives me alternative routes. I tell her I'm hungry and she tells me where the nearest eateries are. And to go home I just say navigation go home brilliant

But what do you do when your lass isn't with you? :-

Oh dear.

You made it sound like you had your good lady sat t the side of you.

I wouldnt rely on a real bird to direct me to the nearest expensive handbag store, as I would be diverted via the expensive shoe shop and the expensive dress shop

I've had Alpine Navigation for years, Just cant beat it..... Not the cheapest, But the best in my opinion     I have these in my vans

Loads of good features, built in Traffic Master, Accident re-routing, Speed Cameras, Overspeed warning & full journey tracking

alpine_iva-d511rb_front.png

Its an Alpine head unit I have in my van. Like I said ok unit. But, the maps are never the latest, only updated once a year....and at a cost of £100 a time.

Them update costs mount up, making the Garmins a cheaper option. The traffic and accident updates, whilst helpful aren't anywhere near as good as the garmins realtime either.

Well the garmin is reserved and waiting to be picked up today. Await a load of questions cubit ! As said have only had tom tom since they came out many years ago. Hope they similar in the way they operate.