Security Installer Community

Moving an IR sensor ?

Guest Richtilney

Guest Richtilney

Hello,

I need to move a motion sensor that's connected to my Securit 700L system. I just need to drop it a couple of inches to allow some nice new coving to be fitted to the ceiling.

Is this easy to do - is there a tamper setting ? am I going to trip the alarm ?

I'm aware that there is an engineer code, but I'm not sure if it's been changed from the default.

All responses are welcome,

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is easy to do, especially if the installer left a bit of slack in the ceiling space so you wont need to lenthen any wiring.

Removing the lid from the detector will cause a Tamper alarm, but simply entering your user code should silence it, now you need to remove the circuit board from the sensor to gain access to the backplate mounting screws and remove the backplate from the wall.

Hopefully appling a little pressure on the cable will release enough for your sensor to be relocated as desired. Then simply re-fit the backplate to the wall, and when refitting the circuit board make sure it doesnt get shorted on any screws used to fix the backplate. Seal any holes used for cable entry and re-fit the detectors lid.

Reset your control panel in the normal way by using your usercode.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Should be simple enough, just watch the tamper spring/switch on the sensor as it may trigger a new tamper fault every time to touch the spring/switch mechanism.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Decorator

I've got the same query - its an ST800L+. I've removed the panel, but theres insufficient wire to move the sensor to the new location. Can I cut the cable and join a further length on or is it not that simple? Also as I'm a novice what type of wire is required.

Thanks

Guest Decorator

Thanks georgahti - can I cut the cable (assuming 12v) and attach a further length of 8 strand cable alarm cable via a terminal block?

I've removed the panel, but theres insufficient wire to move the sensor to the new location. Can I cut the cable and join a further length on or is it not that simple? Also as I'm a novice what type of wire is required.

28691[/snapback]

It's not as simple as it sounds. You'lll need to disconnect the supply to the detectors from within the main panel before disconnecting the wires from the PIR to avoid shorting the wires and blowing fuses. You'll also need to find a suitable place for an alarm junction box, (note alarm junction box, not just tape wires together or shove in any box!), which could involve lifting the floor in the room above. Then you need to connect on a new piece of alarm cable, with the same amount of cores as the existing wiring (probably 6 or 8). Refit the PIR and reconnect the aux power wires back in the panel and test.

Or get an engineer out, it can sometimes work out cheaper than an emergency callout further down the line!

Any chance of sensible responses where required Georg?

28720[/snapback]

That is quite sensible from me when talking about cables used in UK.. :lol::lol:

In the past i would have suggested CAT3 :whistle: ..

That is quite sensible from me when talking about cables used in UK.. :lol:  :lol:

In the past i would have suggested CAT3 :whistle: ..

28737[/snapback]

Erm, yes I saw that thread. Perhaps you could stick your randomly weird foreignly humorous responses in the appropriate forums from now on, or at least follow up your one liners with a bit more useful information, or don't post.

I know what will happen though, you'll either follow up this ppost with a useless comment or carry on the way you do regardless, I'll shut up now.

Hey

Lay off Georgy boy, I'm sure he has some relevant input to come and, if nothing else, he does invoke debate.

How many of you guys can even read a forum in another language, let alone contribute to it? Not many I bet.

Anyway, what trouble does it actually cause you? You have to scroll an extra few inches with your mouse.!

:realmad:

If you don't know......ask.

Don't forget to :beer: the water, Lurch...

I know I could be more relevant but that would need me to be British. And I try to be as relevant as I can from here (from Coldpole). Req's and norms are a bit different here so I am not going into detail level in everything anymore unless I have studied Part P, SSAIB and NSI literature, BS4*** (something) etc..

And what comes to my humour... I don't get your jokes at all Lurch..

Hey

Lay off Georgy boy, I'm sure he has some relevant input to come and, if nothing else, he does invoke debate.

How many of you guys can even read a forum in another language, let alone contribute to it? Not many I bet.

Anyway, what trouble does it actually cause you? You have to scroll an extra few inches with your mouse.!

:realmad:

28745[/snapback]

Problem is though if everyone filled the entire forum with the same percentage of rubbish as Georg the whole site would be next to useless as hardly any of the posts ever made would be of any use. I know he does have some useful input from time to time but it's the amount nonsense inbetween that gets annoying. If he's allowed, then so am I, I'm off to write daft comments in every section now....

And Georg, my humour is on another level!

Problem is though if everyone filled the entire forum with the same percentage of rubbish as Georg the whole site would be next to useless as hardly any of the posts ever made would be of any use. I know he does have some useful input from time to time but it's the amount nonsense inbetween that gets annoying. If he's allowed, then so am I, I'm off to write daft comments in every section now....

28770[/snapback]

Rubbish? Okay, question was: "Also as I'm a novice what type of wire is required."

My answer:" UK type alarm cable"

How many other options you have in your arsenal except UK type alarm cable? Or are you trying to say that UK type alarm cable is Rubbish? ( I could _almost_ agree with that :lol: ) :question:

Guest Decorator

Thanks guys - Stuarts advice re the engineer seems sensible. I'm ok at joiuning cables but this is not as straightforward as I thought and am happy to leave it to the experts.

Thanks for all your advice

Don't forget to :beer:  the water, Lurch...

I know I could be more relevant but that would need me to be British. And I try to be as relevant as I can from here (from Coldpole). Req's and norms are a bit different here so I am not going into detail level in everything anymore unless I have studied Part P, SSAIB and NSI literature, BS4*** (something) etc..

And what comes to my humour... I don't get your jokes at all Lurch..

28747[/snapback]

Not kidding.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

...but you might be better off not mentioning cat5  :whistle:

28884[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:

We'll see. Since nobody knows ssaib or nacoss here it is not vital for us and i think our md is not willing to pay for membership of ssaib (depends of the price). also inspecting us could be quite expencive..

Thanks guys - Stuarts advice re the engineer seems sensible. I'm ok at joiuning cables but this is not as straightforward as I thought and am happy to leave it to the experts.

Thanks for all your advice

28840[/snapback]

Not a problem, glad your sorted. If you post your location there could well be someone on here in your area willing to assist.

28770[/snapback]

Just a bit harsh,

I wouldn't have classified any members posts as "rubbish"

Georg did post the correct answer to the query and some of the long winded posts have been informative and entertaining. for example the one about alarm cable and cross sectional areas.

as for humour, I had a humor bypass done last year before I came to work for a national :P

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived