Security Installer Community

Another 'which' Alarm System Topic!

Leigh Graham

Hello Everyone,

I'm really looking for some help in the vast world of security systems that I know nothing about!

Could anyone offer any advice on the below 3 quotations received for a security system to be installed and on whether they're reliable and recommended systems. The property is a residential 4 bedroom house that is occupied through the week, one outbuilding to be protected and an option to arm 2 bedrooms if not occupied. The installers I believe opted for a sensor on the landing rather than 2 in the separate rooms. Regarding price I don't really have a budget but don't want to go for something above what is required for a residential property. I am also looking for a good system that isn't in danger of being left behind by the latest technology. I have decided on a wireless system as the property has just been decorated. I would assume that the installer of the system is key to the results so any recommendations on that would be great also!

Having researched the below systems I received quotations for the reviews are mainly positive so I don't have many issues there, are these reliable systems? Regarding the Enforcer the control panel it looks very dated, I was hoping for something that looked a bit more modern but I don't want modern over reliability! Also the installer mentioned something regarding a 2-way system in regard to the enforcer?

I have received 3 quotations from installers in my area, I left the installers to complete their own quotations based on their thoughts (rather than give them a spec) they were as follows:

Visonic Wireless System (not entirely sure which one) - 4 PIRS & Door Contact Supply & Install 520 - Unsure on maintenance, waiting for info.

Visonic Powermax - 8 PIRS & Door Contact Supply & Install 518.75 - 12 months guarantee / 35 per year maintenance.

Pyronix Enforcer - 5 PIRS & 2 Door Contacts Supply & Install 560 - 12 months guarantee / 60 per year maintenance.

What are your thoughts on the above, I would welcome anyone input.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Those prices are super keen even for the enforcer stuff

Where you based? they are fitting them for peanuts IMO

On a bigger property we would probably fit a galaxy 2 with wireless if it was required. The bell and keypad still have to be wired but it's a better system IMO.

We tend to fit enforcer in small audible jobs. Good panel though for what it is IMO

Wowww what a superb response, seem's I've got a few questions to ask before finally deciding on the system that's right for me!

I must admit I expected the systems to be more pricey based on reading through this forum a few times. I didn't specify a system to the vendors but new I would fire the systems onto here to get some advice.

So I'm in the North East of England, specifically Middlesbrough so I would assume the installation price might be low whereas the material price should remain the same(ish).

Based on the above I'm taking that the Enforcer is the best equipment quoted for and the company that have quoted to install are SSAIB approved, no mention from the other 2 companies.

Regarding monitoring I wasn't too fussed on having the alarm connected to a 24 hr station or paying for this, I was hoping the loud noises would be enough!!

What do you mean by 3rd party approval?

I suppose the next question then is other than the enforcer what would you guys class as a domestic professional product which is both reliable and affordable? I know everyone has their own opinions but a consensus would suffice. Then the next question is who do I get to install, if anyone knows of approved companies in this area please pass their details on.

Thanks

Leigh

Regarding monitoring I wasn't too fussed on having the alarm connected to a 24 hr station or paying for this, I was hoping the loud noises would be enough!!

Enough for what though? To come home and find you were broken into 2 days before but no-one knew? Hopefully most will run from a bell but

others will know bells get ignored and carry on regardless.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

That's a fair point but I believe a professional alarm system without monitoring would be good enough, do you think differently?

Leigh

You're forgetting that you are being advised by a professional alarm installer,

Leigh I would ask yourself how many monthly subscriptions do you have (sky etc.) ?

Do any of them seem more important than a subscription that can protect your home and everything inside? Starting from around £25 per month I think it's a no brainer.

Thanks guys points taken on-board!

I fear asking someone to install a system their not used to installing could cause numerous problems, I would like someone comfortable installing them systems? Looking at the Honeywell its advised for small commercial properties? Is there a list I could refer to for installation's in my area by systems?

So if I was to go for a few monitored and a few unmonitored quote's for systems what should I go for?

One of the vendors said there's a power supply in the loft so was going to hard wire the main bell which seems advisable.

Leigh

Thanks guys points taken on-board!

I fear asking someone to install a system their not used to installing could cause numerous problems, I would like someone comfortable installing them systems? Looking at the Honeywell its advised for small commercial properties? Is there a list I could refer to for installation's in my area by systems?

So if I was to go for a few monitored and a few unmonitored quote's for systems what should I go for?

One of the vendors said there's a power supply in the loft so was going to hard wire the main bell which seems advisable.

Leigh

No company one will have issues with the enforcer as it's plug and play and probably the preferred panel of window fitters and plumbers alike.  Although I happen to know the guys who run the local car wash prefer to fit powermax on the weekend...

You might want to ask if the North East contingent would like the opportunity to contact you regard this.

It wouldn't be right for me to name them direct but we do have active members in your area.

No company one will have issues with the enforcer as it's plug and play and probably the preferred panel of window fitters and plumbers alike.  Although I happen to know the guys who run the local car wash prefer to fit powermax on the weekend...

I've seen plenty of bad wired installs. Just because you might not understand something doesn't mean it's wrong.

Remember people the job in question is in the north east. You can't charge the same amount as in the south. Not if you want any work that is. If you did you'd probably get a call from the police to you've ripped someone off.

Middlesbrough eh?

My neck of the woods haha.

I would certainly go for monitoring. The people of Middlesbrough don't pay attention to bells. Well, in TS1 they don't. My parents were broken into one night around 15 years ago via the front door. Blatant break in bells went off (bearing in mind it rarely went off) and the entire street ignored it. Wasn't until our next door neighbour came home from the shop they alerted us and the police to someone breaking in after the bell timeout!

Edited by effortless

Leigh,

If you would like me to quote please let me know and I can arrange something for you.

We fit both Galaxy & Enforcer & are SSAIB.

(We are North East based and cover your area,we can also offer monitering If that's something you would be interested in)

Liam

Quick check list for you for wirefree

2 way wirefree

SSAIB or nsi installer

Long standing company

Batteries changed as part of the service

Companies proximity to you

If the company ticks all the boxes go for them. A couple of things to be aware of if you want monitoring. If you want police response you will need more detectors to work properly. You will also need to have the alarm reset after an activation. Some companies charge for this. If you want key holders only you will just get a phone call to say the alarm has gone off. Either way for better security you will be better of with dual path signalling

• Upvote 1

I don't have a favourite keypad.  I have preferred menu structures and the keypad happens to be the way to access these.  However, I don't like the feel of texecom buttons, i quite like castle but my most preferred is galaxy. siemens & ats seem a bit small, risco - well we know what i think about that, can't say i come across any other keypads often enough to form an opinion.

I must admit I am coming to see the old Europlex re-badged style Siemens keypads as a bit rubbish. Shame the 'comfort' one is so $$$.

I was told there was going to be a new keypad lasy year but it doesn't seem to have arrived yet, was going to have reasonable sized keys AFAIK.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say some of our original 30 year old customers still pay there original £35 a year and we have 1000s of customers.

We are approved and give a full service for that.

Prices have increased each year but whatever they pay the first year its stays the same.

We are the biggest installer in our area beating most of the competition.

High prices don't always means high quality as we know from what we take over most weeks.

By the way we did not quote this op just note about pricing

So in effect, if you don't put the price up, Due to inflation each year you work for less money. I can't compute where that makes business sense?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Yep, like that caravan storage place I was briefly jealous of! £300 x 150 sounds nice for f'all work...

But even an open yard isn't f'all work when you've got a receptionist to pay! FFS!

Where we stayed at the lodge site fees are £2.5k a year which sounds good until I worked out there were 30 lodges and in that money they had to pay for 3 staff, maintain the pool, grounds, gym etc and the. Worked out they must be in 50p an hour each.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/