Security Installer Community

Another 'which' Alarm System Topic!

Leigh Graham

Hello Everyone,

I'm really looking for some help in the vast world of security systems that I know nothing about!

Could anyone offer any advice on the below 3 quotations received for a security system to be installed and on whether they're reliable and recommended systems. The property is a residential 4 bedroom house that is occupied through the week, one outbuilding to be protected and an option to arm 2 bedrooms if not occupied. The installers I believe opted for a sensor on the landing rather than 2 in the separate rooms. Regarding price I don't really have a budget but don't want to go for something above what is required for a residential property. I am also looking for a good system that isn't in danger of being left behind by the latest technology. I have decided on a wireless system as the property has just been decorated. I would assume that the installer of the system is key to the results so any recommendations on that would be great also!

Having researched the below systems I received quotations for the reviews are mainly positive so I don't have many issues there, are these reliable systems? Regarding the Enforcer the control panel it looks very dated, I was hoping for something that looked a bit more modern but I don't want modern over reliability! Also the installer mentioned something regarding a 2-way system in regard to the enforcer?

I have received 3 quotations from installers in my area, I left the installers to complete their own quotations based on their thoughts (rather than give them a spec) they were as follows:

Visonic Wireless System (not entirely sure which one) - 4 PIRS & Door Contact Supply & Install 520 - Unsure on maintenance, waiting for info.

Visonic Powermax - 8 PIRS & Door Contact Supply & Install 518.75 - 12 months guarantee / 35 per year maintenance.

Pyronix Enforcer - 5 PIRS & 2 Door Contacts Supply & Install 560 - 12 months guarantee / 60 per year maintenance.

What are your thoughts on the above, I would welcome anyone input.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

The property is a residential 4 bedroom house

Regarding price I don't really have a budget 

Visonic Wireless System (not entirely sure which one) - 4 PIRS & Door Contact Supply & Install 520 - Unsure on maintenance, waiting for info.

Visonic Powermax - 8 PIRS & Door Contact Supply & Install 518.75 - 12 months guarantee / 35 per year maintenance.

Pyronix Enforcer - 5 PIRS & 2 Door Contacts Supply & Install 560 - 12 months guarantee / 60 per year maintenance.

Before we get too stuck in, what if we told you the a decent system for a house that size should probably be twice all those prices?

Any company charging £35 a year, you would have to ask are you actually getting anything for that, if you are, can you be sure

it is worth having, and can you be sure that they will still be around a year later?

I would ask you what job you do by comparison, and what you or you employer would provide for £35.00.

Are any of these companies NSI or SSAIB approved by the way?

Also, you haven't mentioned monitoring, i.e. what happens when the alarm goes off. Let us know :)

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Enforcer is fine, being 2 way its a different league in terms of quality and reliabilty from 1 way.

Swerve visonic.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Enforcer for me aswell. Decent kit and decent price. Is it a hard wired or wireless bell?

The reason for this is imo the maintenance will not include replacement batteries..... If it does then I would go for that. If not then check charge for replacement and how often the batteries are replaced.

Edited by Alarm Protection

!

Go back to different (approved) companies and ask them to quote for a professional system and not the DIY garbage listed above.

Ronnie, I'm sure you said previously you'd used the Enforcer, under duress of course. I may be wrong though.

Ronnie, I'm sure you said previously you'd used the Enforcer, under duress of course. I may be wrong though.

We have and then realised the error of our ways.  I made the assumption the way forward was "if you can't beat them, join them"..  I was so wrong.  Installing carte blanche wireless is a huge mistake in my opinion.  I also think retracting too far from the approved/URN market is also a huge mistake.  We'll keep on plodding on fitted our outdated wired systems and at some point we're going to be king as we'll be one of the few firms left who actually provide a solid, reliable solution.

We have a lot of Gardtec wireless out there and they are no probs at all. This is G2 so I would consider that a pro kit. How would you see this RFS?

Without any 3rd party approval they can stamp it with whatever they feel like..  That doesn't make it any good.

We have and then realised the error of our ways.  I made the assumption the way forward was "if you can't beat them, join them"..  I was so wrong.  Installing carte blanche wireless is a huge mistake in my opinion.  I also think retracting too far from the approved/URN market is also a huge mistake.  We'll keep on plodding on fitted our outdated wired systems and at some point we're going to be king as we'll be one of the few firms left who actually provide a solid, reliable solution.

Without any 3rd party approval they can stamp it with whatever they feel like..  That doesn't make it any good.

obviously just my opinion of course.. i could be wrong!

At the risk of bursting your bubble, 3rd party cert doesn't make it good.

Tell me about it..I have plenty of problems ongoing with 3rd party approved kit.  but being 3rd party approved doesn't mean it will work 100% anyway, it just means that it's compliant with whatever standard it's been tested against.

It's at least a step better than not being 3rd party approved.  

What equipment has 3rd party approval? Risco wireless with the 490,600 has been fault free for years now. We have to wire in bell and RKP but no probs at all for a long time.

The enforcer is another panel that is good and does what it says.

I still see the Risco 490 etc as an installer kit as you can buy them DIY but the programming is so different from the mainstream panels out there.

!

What equipment has 3rd party approval? Risco wireless with the 490,600 has been fault free for years now. We have to wire in bell and RKP but no probs at all for a long time.

The enforcer is another panel that is good and does what it says.

I still see the Risco 490 etc as an installer kit as you can buy them DIY but the programming is so different from the mainstream panels out there.

Each to their own mate, I don't like Risco panels but I've never used them really (don't you find the buttons really hard to press?)..

Just to say some of our original 30 year old customers still pay there original £35 a year and we have 1000s of customers.

We are approved and give a full service for that.

Prices have increased each year but whatever they pay the first year its stays the same.

We are the biggest installer in our area beating most of the competition.

High prices don't always means high quality as we know from what we take over most weeks.

By the way we did not quote this op just note about pricing

£35.00 pa it costs me £37.50 to send an engineer somewhere. What sort of service would you get for £35pa and how long before the chap charging it goes bust, or what sort of cover he provides whilst he is on holiday

£35.00 pa it costs me £37.50 to send an engineer somewhere. What sort of service would you get for £35pa and how long before the chap charging it goes bust, or what sort of cover he provides whilst he is on holiday

You should get a cheaper car then..

My leg pulling aside, I'm assuming thats p/h how on earth does it cost you that much £37.50? That can't be right.

You never used one? The buttons are slightly recessed so when you push down you can feel the surround? I don't have fat fingers so assuming it was something everyone thought?

When I do alarms it the product I use. Never found it an issue, or even noticed.

Edited by Cubit

Iv never had a problem with pushing buttons on a Risco alarm keypad unless it's been 10 years and used everyday.

What keypad is your favourite RFS? I'm intrigued by this observation.

I don't have a favourite keypad.  I have preferred menu structures and the keypad happens to be the way to access these.  However, I don't like the feel of texecom buttons, i quite like castle but my most preferred is galaxy. siemens & ats seem a bit small, risco - well we know what i think about that, can't say i come across any other keypads often enough to form an opinion.