Security Installer Community

Didn't Know The Police Did The Vetting?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We use our 0845 for eveything, as Jeff says I might add our 2nd line we use for UDL for our complaints number.

On that note our remote servicing is done via an 0844 number ported to our UDL 2nd line making us a little revenue, I wonder where we stand with that one?

We use our 0845 for eveything, as Jeff says I might add our 2nd line we use for UDL for our complaints number.

On that note our remote servicing is done via an 0844 number ported to our UDL 2nd line making us a little revenue, I wonder where we stand with that one?

interesting about the UDL. We have always done this but being gready we changed our supplier last year for a better rate, we have an issue with UDL and especially Remote Service where some calls are being prematurely terminated. We think one possibility is the codecs used by the new supplier are to fast for the UDL data and getting to the bottom of this is a nightmare.

All our lines are now VOIP and I can add or delete to these at will. Our current outgoings for 6 lines including all calls and lines is less than £5 a month ( mobile are on 3 GG lines @£15 PM).

Telecom revenue is a great bonus to us and one way or another the customer is going to pay for our service. Seems quite right to me that those that make the demands should be the ones to pay yet it's the same people that want to moan.

Edited by jb-eye

Customers!

Telecom revenue is a great bonus to us and one way or another the customer is going to pay for our service. Seems quite right to me that those that make the demands should be the ones to pay yet it's the same people that want to moan.

Problem is Jeff, and its certainly the impression you give, is that people (aka customers) don't sign up for the facility for you to have incoming calls as a hidden profit stream.

Its alright you taking the high ground and saying (potentially) sod'em, that's the way it is, if they don't like it....

Remember, you've implemented systems to give you most income at least cost. Customers don't have that option and hence are held hostage to these schemes.

If your are like many others, you nigh on refuse to ring one of these types of numbers, or worse, refuse to use companies that leave the customer no choice, why should people use your company?

In effect, what is it costing you?

Problem is Jeff, and its certainly the impression you give, is that people (aka customers) don't sign up for the facility for you to have incoming calls as a hidden profit stream.

Its alright you taking the high ground and saying (potentially) sod'em, that's the way it is, if they don't like it....

Remember, you've implemented systems to give you most income at least cost. Customers don't have that option and hence are held hostage to these schemes.

If your are like many others, you nigh on refuse to ring one of these types of numbers, or worse, refuse to use companies that leave the customer no choice, why should people use your company?

In effect, what is it costing you?

I used 0870 for national rate and it was no great profit. The goal post moved and we moved to a 0844 which is also a National rate. Now we both know that customers can indeed incur additional charges from their mobile provider but 0844 is not a premium number even though we do generate income from this. Now we also have a customer support number which is a premium 0906 number, this was instigated to remove the volume of calls on our out of hours support lines and has been very successful in doing just that, of course this also generates income based on the 50ppm stream. Customers are held "hostage" no matter what as the fact is I want paying for our service OOH, to this end it's 50ppm or engineer @£70. Of course the could move to billy alarms all inclusive for SFA.

I'm being pushed towards The 4i system whereupon you call OOH and by pressing for an engineer you effectively agree to a payment being taken for that service remember nothing is free.

Customers!

I'm being pushed towards The 4i system whereupon you call OOH and by pressing for an engineer you effectively agree to a payment being taken for that service remember nothing is free.

but arnt customers already paying for that service in maintenance fees depending on service level of course,imo if a fully comp customer had to agree to pay just to speak to someone or get an engineer they won't be customers for very long..9 times out of 10 you don't know if its chargeable until the engineer gets to site,basic level customers should be told they will be charged before booking an engineer

Edited by goncall

but arnt customers already paying for that service in maintenance fees depending on service level of course,imo if a fully comp customer had to agree to pay just to speak to someone or get an engineer they won't be customers for very long..9 times out of 10 you don't know if its chargeable until the engineer gets to site,basic level customers should be told they will be charged before booking an engineer

they are told and the T&C aren't onerous.

I've read the whole thing again and I think I get it. The crux is if it costs the customer without their knowledge, so OK if the phone call had a "press to pay" button. The answer is silly but we need to offer an 01 or 03 and that gives the option to call an 08 unless it's a contract or complaint issue, in which case we will let the customer leave a message and call them back at out earliest opportunity.

Of course customers will quickly realise that the existing 08 will be answered.

Now that should satisfy our legals.

Customers!

Exactly!

And people hate 08 numbers has they invariably incur charges.

Like I said. How much does using these numbers cost a company?

I think many of what you said is properly legal but your customer service is bad. forcing them to pay to speak to you when there alarm is faulty, why should I pay to get you to fix the alarm. Or what I do is tell everyone how bad your company is and go towards a company who give better service and you start getting bad press.

Plus our company lets customer speak to us via email, text, twitter, Facebook, face 2 face or phone us and we use local rate/03 or 0800 number which our customers. We also don't charge customer until we can show there at fault.

What if we state that all complaints must be made via email?

There no law about how you want to handle complaints but what they saying is if you want handle via phone you need ensure it does not cost customer extra money to do so.

Exactly!

And people hate 08 numbers has they invariably incur charges.

Like I said. How much does using these numbers cost a company?

I think many of what you said is properly legal but your customer service is bad. forcing them to pay to speak to you when there alarm is faulty, why should I pay to get you to fix the alarm. Or what I do is tell everyone how bad your company is and go towards a company who give better service and you start getting bad press.

Plus our company lets customer speak to us via email, text, twitter, Facebook, face 2 face or phone us and we use local rate/03 or 0800 number which our customers. We also don't charge customer until we can show there at fault.

there is a big difference here. Your both referring to sales type businesses. We are an ex directory non listed, non advertising company, sure we have a web page but that's basically a brochure because were expected to have one. We make no effort to push our sales and we focus on the customers we want, generally were specified as a solution provider, we don't have sales people and were too busy as it is. Not pretending there are wheels within trying to change this strategy. We are focused on customer service but won't put up with whiners, they have to go. We don't want calls OOH for any amount of cash and therefore the premium rate OOH gets rid of the drek. Now if you don't think this is the type of service you expect from a leading alarm company you have a choice FCk Off and phone Billy's alarms.

Customers!

there is a big difference here. Your both referring to sales type businesses. We are an ex directory non listed, non advertising company, sure we have a web page but that's basically a brochure because were expected to have one. We make no effort to push our sales and we focus on the customers we want, generally were specified as a solution provider, we don't have sales people and were too busy as it is. Not pretending there are wheels within trying to change this strategy. We are focused on customer service but won't put up with whiners, they have to go. We don't want calls OOH for any amount of cash and therefore the premium rate OOH gets rid of the drek. Now if you don't think this is the type of service you expect from a leading alarm company you have a choice FCk Off and phone Billy's alarms.

However if i was paying you money I expect to be paying least a local rate number for any service.

Wasn't criticising your approach, merely commenting on it. And being specific, the 08** and any implications the new roolz may have.

As an aside, and this was a general, open question. My asking "do companies know what using 08** numbers may cost them?".

I strongly suspect many dont. They may indeed see a potential revenue stream from them, but do they ever consider what they may lose by using them?

However if i was paying you money I expect to be paying least a local rate number for any service.

Sure and we use national rate because. Wed-Thurs im in Lanark, Dunfermline, Dundee and Kilmarnock. Do they all want local numbers? Were not a local company with adds in the local yell. our customers aren't complaining but Europe appears to be sticking their nose into representing the ignorance of the national blue chips.

Wasn't criticising your approach, merely commenting on it. And being specific, the 08** and any implications the new roolz may have.

As an aside, and this was a general, open question. My asking "do companies know what using 08** numbers may cost them?".

I strongly suspect many dont. They may indeed see a potential revenue stream from them, but do they ever consider what they may lose by using them?

I cant say ive ever been asked the question. Do you think the likes of NHS or the county fire brigade might be put off ringing me? obviously not but I take your point that a potential customer looking for a cheap alarm browsing the local paper would have a preference to ring a local STD than one of those strange 0844. Cant say I will miss that call.

Customers!

Its definitely time soon for me to ditch Vonage and go pro with VOIP. Need to keep my number mind.

I need something where I can create the usual 'press 1' menus that changes destination and message automatically according to
time and day and also one that I can allocate forwarding numbers to quickly and easily to suit.

The ONLY thing I'll miss about Vonage would be the voicemail to email service. Its cack but you generally get the gist.

Also caller ID is passed to the forwarding number, but gussing most do this?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I couldn't see an obvious tech req for the distro, would it be ok on an old Fujitsu mini desktop with a celeron  M (it uses a mobile chip as its so tiny)

Also how do you I/F to telephones, do you still need some kind of external SIP adaptor or just a basic audio adaptor? Can this be USB?

TBH was hoping for something remotely hosted.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Sure and we use national rate because. Wed-Thurs im in Lanark, Dunfermline, Dundee and Kilmarnock. Do they all want local numbers? Were not a local company with adds in the local yell. our customers aren't complaining but Europe appears to be sticking their nose into representing the ignorance of the national blue chips.

I cant say ive ever been asked the question. Do you think the likes of NHS or the county fire brigade might be put off ringing me? obviously not but I take your point that a potential customer looking for a cheap alarm browsing the local paper would have a preference to ring a local STD than one of those strange 0844. Cant say I will miss that call.

No, Not what I was trying say. 

Like for example if you claimed your office was in Glasgow, I would expect a 0141 number and which you can get a geo number and be anywhere in the world now a days. 

Our company has 03, 0800, Landline numbers but I would not say were a 'Cheap Alarm' company,  But we just want provide a good service which if your giving a good service then your customers are happy. 

Have you never tried using a Local Rate Number and see if you notice any difference? 

i thought it was illegal to use local numbers in an area yiu dont have an office? ie sip etc

i suppose it will

I don't think it is,   As I seen Big Companies using Local Number in marketing stuff. 

A*T does it on their Door to Door Leaflets saying your Local Branch is 01XXX and it really goes to there National Call Centre. 

i thought it was illegal to use local numbers in an area yiu dont have an office? ie sip etc

i suppose it will

They were saying Scotland would keep BT & Openreach due to its investment they said.