Security Installer Community

Honeywell Informa Speech Dialler - Not Dialling All Of A Sudden?

• 3 years later...

Hi all ... newbie here .... I was (am) having EXACTLY the same issue here (was working for years, stopped, did a re-program, worked for a short while, now stuck here exactly the same....) and had already tried almost all of the above.  To clarify, if I do a dial "TEST" from the test mode it dials out perfectly and works fine.  But if triggered from the G4 alarm, it no longer works... yet did for a few years.  I've run the tests and when I put the G4 in output test for INTRUDER I can see that on "mode 0" (test) on the informa it then shows that INT is being triggered.   .... so I know everything up working right up until the point of the dialing out when triggered (in normal mode, not test).   It's as if there is a logic/hardware failure somewhere on the board because it defies (to me) any other explanation.  House phone line etc. hasn't changed nor provider and my provider plate has a built in ADSL so impossible to avoid having an ADSL filter (unless of course that plate was dodgy..... but..... dont have any other issues that I know of).   appreciate any other help or suggestions ; p.s. last test I did the 1 sec pause with REC, after the number, before the number, and both, and none of these worked.   next step is to try a new informa I think.....

Edited by Jonathan Townsend
to clarify it was working for ages before starting to become unreliable

13 hours ago, al-yeti said:

Dialler is so simple never had these issues 

Only seen a speaker drive fail

Hi.... I have got it working .  I agree it was unlikely to be faulty and it was defying logic..... that logic being mine, twisted and probably wrong, in what I was observing and deducing from it.....   working on the premise it was the INT dialler circuit not triggering the going-high or going-low voltage transition, I was going to make use of the PA or FIRE inputs on the dialler (i.e. INT output from alarm to FIRE input of dialler).... and set about first testing this .....  measuring the alarm outputs I could see that they were normally HIGH and went LOW when active/triggered... what I noticed was that when I put the alarm in test mode and activated "FIRE" (falling voltage) it did NOT dial, but,, a minute later when de-activating that output (voltage going high, rising) it dialled.... aha.... so I must have interpreted the settings [4] incorrect.   I set all these to be "ON" (illuminated) and now all 3 test alarm outputs give a correct dialler response ( and it dials me! ), yay.    (I had tried all this last night I thought but maybe just got in a muddle with all the tests I did!)

So..... it could have been me being thick, or, just tired and frustrated with it last night !!!  it now tests out fine, and, I have a cunning plan if indeed that INT circuit on the dialler is intermittently not behaving itself..... [can't think of a reason this wouldnt work, it's just 3 similar alarm outputs and 3 similar dialler inputs, labelled for sanity when setting up specific voice messages for each one....

Thanks all......   if nothing else this thread gave me some re-assurance and hope and encouragement to not give up (which to be honest was also  due to the hefty price tag of a replacement)

• 6 months later...

So. this old chestnut has reared its head again.

Due to an accidental activation, it revealed that the dialler is again not working properly. The device itself seems to be perfectly fine; it dials, plays the message etc etc but a call is not received. The only thing that has changed in the past two or three weeks is that we have changed our internet provider and in so doing also upgraded to a fibre connection.

Any ideas what could be the problem now?

Tom.

2 hours ago, Tommygunn said:

So. this old chestnut has reared its head again.

Due to an accidental activation, it revealed that the dialler is again not working properly. The device itself seems to be perfectly fine; it dials, plays the message etc etc but a call is not received. The only thing that has changed in the past two or three weeks is that we have changed our internet provider and in so doing also upgraded to a fibre connection.

Any ideas what could be the problem now?

Tom.

Shouldn't be a problem , but I would say when you switched to fibre the socket it's connected to might be disconnected 

Manually check you have dialtone with a phone 

The informa will still dial without dial tone 

When it dials you hear the dialling on the speaker , but you should hear the dialtone to 

this is why diallers imho shouldn't be used for alarm notification. You never know if it's gonna work when its needed as its not polled.

but as al says check you can use a conventional pstn phone

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

37 minutes ago, norman said:

All down to risk, a dialer should be set up to send a test signal imo but that usually adds cost.

I agree also signalling line fault at the controls helps, but not infallible due to only testing line voltage and not polling the line regularly.

I think I know what the problem is.

Prior to the change over the old modem and the phone connected to the main phone line via a filter, and the phone would work when the modem was switched off. Now, however, the setup is different and the phone is plugged into the modem

Therefore, I'm thinking that I also need to have the dialler plugged into the secondary telephone socket on the new modem. Does that seem correct?

Old setup with filter behind sockets:

Wall_Sockets.jpg

New setup with telephone connected to 'Line 1':

Modem_Sockets.jpg

So to test this I want to use a bunch of phone extensions to make an adhoc connection between the dialler and the modem to test for function before I go trying to feed wires though the walls/floor. The question is, out of a four wire telephone cable, which two are carrying the signal or which contacts of the RJ plug are being used; centre contacts, outers etc?

Phone_Wire.jpg

Cheers,

Tom.

Just looked at the photo and saw that the Line 1 & 2 connections of the modem only have two contacts per socket, the centre contacts, so not to worry about that as I can easily use my multimeter to figure out which wire, in the photo above, goes to which contact.

Tom. 

49 minutes ago, Tommygunn said:

Al-yeti,

Going back to your questions. Yes, it dials the tel number and thinking about it now there is no dial tone for the dialler.

The phone works fine.

Tom.

So as you said reconnect your sockets and dialler so dial tone is in correct place