Security Installer Community

Talk Talk Router And Cctv Doesnt Work

thorg

Hi

I just installed  CCTV and works except internet. This is business Talk Talk, router Technicolor TG 582n. Ethernet cable is good, laptop connected works, I set port forwarding on the router, but I cannot ping DVR. Message is: Destination host unreachable. the router  has dvr on the network devices list, correct interface, IP address, MAC address, but there is no full connectivity between dvr and router. Day before same DVR was tested and connected to Virgin Media router, worked fine. Now while connected to Talk Talk router does not connect to the router. Subnet mask, default gateway, DNS were set correctly on DVR.

Who can help? Perhaps Talk Talk uses different ports, or firewall issue?????

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote I had set portforwarding in the router. Port 8000. This worked on Virgin Media router without any problems. I tried few ports and no luck. It is very weird I cannot ping DVR but router found dvr connected to interface, IP address and MAC address.

I also see Technicolour is rubbish, very unfriendly user menu, but my customer has it, and probably cannot change.

Oddly, we've struggled to commission an IP only WebWay this week over a TalkTalk line (residential)..  Commission signal going out but nothing coming back in, ports opened and nothing still.  Luckily it was the last straw for customer and now moving to BT.  

Oddly, we've struggled to commission an IP only WebWay this week over a TalkTalk line (residential).. Commission signal going out but nothing coming back in, ports opened and nothing still. Luckily it was the last straw for customer and now moving to BT.

Ronnie, worth noting that BT also use technicolour on some commercials.

We had this

There's first one was a talk talk branded d link. Worked fine on the LAN, but opened relevant ports, but couldn't get it to work. Tried everything....

Then they got a technicolor talk talk unit. Eventually we got it to work.

Proper **** unit.

A quick google of port forward with these routers confirmed this!

For our sins we have to use these shitty things.

Getting the video over the lan and private wan works fine with no set up required. Having done some checking on one this afternoon, I can't see how you could use it for remote viewing over web.

Don't prolong your misery, get shut.

Technicolour are a heap of ***** but I've never had one that didn't work first time.

I've noticed there's quite a few routers now with the loopback blocking turned on.

could you explain loopback? it sounds like a few problems ive been having.

and also.. do all you guys supply your own router when networking a dvr? a known, easy to set up router thats already configured before it leaves the office.

could you explain loopback? it sounds like a few problems ive been having.

and also.. do all you guys supply your own router when networking a dvr? a known, easy to set up router thats already configured before it leaves the office.

It allows you to, for example, access the router.

So, with, again, for example, these shitty technicolor routers, when supplied by BT (in my case). Out of the box the default IP address is 192.168.1.254

This can be pinged.

We have to disable loopback. This then stops us 'pinging' the router.

It does not prevent us access to the router but by doing a simple ping test you could be mistaken for thinking the router is dead/not present.

The loop back stops the customer from using the dynamic DNS we setup when they are on their own WiFi

So they end up having 2 sites in the app for the same place

1-local (when on same WiFi as the dvr)

2-remote (everywhere else)

So use the customers router. Had a few issues with Homehubs but nothing major recently same with the technicolour ones I've done quite a few now no issues.

yes this is exactly the problem I was having with a particular site - unable to access from the lan, but okay on the wan

is this always called loopback or different terminology for different brands?

Might have different termology

I don't think you can turn it off tho. Please correct me if I'm wrong

The loop back stops the customer from using the dynamic DNS we setup when they are on their own WiFi

So they end up having 2 sites in the app for the same place

1-local (when on same WiFi as the dvr)

2-remote (everywhere else)

So use the customers router. Had a few issues with Homehubs but nothing major recently same with the technicolour ones I've done quite a few now no issues.

learn something new every day, thanks! i've never worked out why on some routers you only need one site, and on others you need two. which is why when setting up i do the remote one first and if it works on the LAN i stop there.

thanks! :)

I change setting in DVR to obtain Ip through DHCP, DVR got new IP from router, but I cannot ping it, I moved it to DMZ, it still does not work.

I never saw so shi*** router