Security Installer Community

Optex Saver Vs Rxc-St

Introduction

Having used Optex detectors for years, I thought I'd review the two latest versions of there Quad PIR against each other.

post-29920-0-40358600-1400854730_thumb.j

From the manufacturer...

SAVER

A cost effective, high performance, grade 2 PIR detector, 12m x 12m detection zone or long range 18mx 2.4m zone detector with FL-60N optional lens.

Only available for the UK and Middle East markets

Features

High density pattern

Quad zone technology

silent relay output

noise reduction circuit

advanced sealed optics

advanced temperature compensation logic

EN 50131-2-2:2008 compliant

PD6662:2010 compliant grade 2

post-29920-0-86310900-1400854777_thumb.j

RXC-ST

High performance, small animal tolerant, Grade 2 PIR detector, 12m x 12m detection zone or long range 18mx 2.4m zone detector with FL-60N optional lens.

Features

Built on the combined technology from three iconic OPTEX devices, the RX-40QZ, RX40PT and the CX502, the RXC-ST provides higher performance in higher temperature and digital target recognition.

High density pattern to enhance catch performance

Quad zone logic, digital target recognition for small animal tolerance.

Improved RF and whit light immunity

Silent relay output

advanced sealed optics

advanced temperature compensation logic

EN 50131-2-2-2008 compliant

PD6662-2010 compliant Grade 2

post-29920-0-97751400-1400854795_thumb.j

Design, construction and packaging

Firstly the packaging the SAVER coming in a plain box and the Core series in a blue printed box, this is larger to a accommodate a ceiling bracket.

I am not keen on the packaging for the SAVER, well I say packaging I actually mean the fact it has SAVER printed in bold on the box. Stupid name for a detector; in my opinion.

The two sensors have a similar construction, manufactured from a sturdy white plastic they have that classic Optex style and feel using the same lens as the RX40. They do not feature a separate LED window unlike the RX40. They have a relatively small case and would be fairly discreet mounted in the corner of a room.

Both sensors have a small cross head screw located on the bottom of the sensor. This has to be completely removed before the lid can be levered open. This is annoying as the screw likely to be dropped and roll under something or lost.

Inside the sensors look identical, with loads of room and plenty of easy to use knockouts and cable entries. It also has a large channel up the rear of the back plate to accommodate cabling behind the sensor, if mounted flat.

Optex always provide a small piece of sponge with there detectors, this should be used to seal the cable entry hole.

post-29920-0-43088700-1400854711_thumb.j

Operation and setup

As I mentioned already there is plenty of room inside which makes installation a breeze. The screw terminals are good quality and provide secure termination of stranded alarm cable. There are even two spare terminals which may come in handy depending on the installation, something the RX40 lacked.

The detectors do not have built in resistors which is a shame. Most detectors have this now and it could put people off installing them.

The instructions provided in both are very clear and explain not only product specific information but general tips of good installation practices and siting.

Again both sensors provide the same sensitivity adjustment High, Medium and Low located to the left of the PCB with a three pin jumper configuration, this comes set to High which in clean environments shouldn't be an issue.

They perform very well in all three sensitivity settings with a noticeable difference between High and Low. Low however, is still very capable of detecting an intruder.

On detecting movement the lenses light up with a red square, this is more noticeable than a LED prism used on other sensors; especially in a brightly lit room. There is a jumper provided for disabling this if required.

post-29920-0-12787000-1400854756_thumb.j

Conclusion

The detectors are very good and perform well with no faults or false alarms. I can't see any obvious differences between them apart from the front lid design and bracket provided.

*Plenty of room for termination

*Same lens as previous models

Dislikes

*Lid screw easy to lose.

*No EOL jumpers

*SAVER name