Security Installer Community

Galaxy, Dsc, Diy Install And Monitoring

bornstubborn

Hi,

I'm at the first fix stage of my self build and need to get an alarm system organised.

I've already run cables for numerous detectors back to a central point and now need to decide on the system and whether I install myself or not.

I've narrowed it down to:

Honeywell Galaxy - easily available and looks relatively simple to setup

DSC PC1832 powerseries - as this is supported for integration into the home automation system i'm looking at deploying (myself)

I've got a few questions:

1) Does anyone have any comments on either system and whether a self install is a good idea?

2) Monitoring - I do want to get the system monitored - will companies take these on if not installed by them? I assume the galaxy might be easier to find someone to monitor as it looks to be much more common?

3) If self install isn't a good idea, can anyone recommend alarm companies in central Scotland that can provide monitoring and/or potentially install/maintenance and would be willing to have me run the wiring / use the wiring I've installed?

4) I will need a professionaly designed fire alarm system for the property - again, I'd like to run all the wiring to keep down cost, and ideally have one supplier to do both intruder and fire - any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

For someone who knows what they are doing maybe

2) Monitoring - I do want to get the system monitored - will companies take these on if not installed by them? I assume the galaxy might be easier to find someone to monitor as it looks to be much more common?

As a monitoring center we will sell to an end user. From our point of view the panel is irrelevant, it's the communicator that is important but most ARC's wont sell to an end user and most installers don't sell monitoring only.

3) If self install isn't a good idea, can anyone recommend alarm companies in central Scotland that can provide monitoring and/or potentially install/maintenance and would be willing to have me run the wiring / use the wiring I've installed?

I don't think running the cables is a bad idea but I would recommend, for the lack of cost involved, to get a pro just to attach the things to the wires and set it up as you require. The time it will save you will be more than enough payback to the hours you'll spend trying to do it yourself.

4) I will need a professionaly designed fire alarm system for the property - again, I'd like to run all the wiring to keep down cost, and ideally have one supplier to do both intruder and fire - any recommendations?

Quite a number of companies now do both fire and intruder. Running the cables is one thing but designing proper fire alarms is a pro's job. Maybe overkill for what you want. I'm assuming you mean fire alarm rather than just smoke detectors hooked onto the intruder?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Hi,

I'm at the first fix stage of my self build and need to get an alarm system organised.

I've already run cables for numerous detectors back to a central point and now need to decide on the system and whether I install myself or not.

I've narrowed it down to:

DSC PC1832 powerseries - as this is supported for integration into the home automation system i'm looking at deploying (myself)

I've got a few questions:

1) Does anyone have any comments on either system and whether a self install is a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Although not our choice of panel I would recommend the Galaxy but if you are having the panel services I would use the companies equipment.

For monitoring (depending on insurance requirement) I would advise to get the company to install panel and monitoring equipment.

We would be happy if you installed the alarm wiring but would check cable before install. One cable per device is best practice. Where are you based? We are in Fife and cover central area.

With fire I would suggest getting a company out before wiring up. Again we would be happy for you to run the cable but would want to check the cabling as this has to be clipped/concealed to standard before the plasterboard goes up.

I would suggest you get a quote for all the 1st fix etc.

For home automation the light wave is a good product.

Hope this helps.

!

As a monitoring center we will sell to an end user.

Hope not!

I don't think running the cables is a bad idea but I would recommend, for the lack of cost involved, to get a pro just to attach the things to the wires and set it up as you require. The time it will save you will be more than enough payback to the hours you'll spend trying to do it yourself.

OP, Don't underestimate how long this bit will take. This board is full of DIY installers coming back after weekend after lost weekend of 'tinkering' and still somethings not quite right. A pro would easily commission most domestic systems in a day.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for all the advice so far, you guys are spot on regarding the time, part of me thinks this would be a nice project (I've got an electronics, pbx and IT background), however, I should really be spending time putting up gyproc, installing electrics and drains and such...

The more i think about it, the more I'm coming round to the idea of getting a professional install - I've already spent too much time reading stuff!

Due to the size of the house, building control have mandated that for a Grade B Category LD2 fire detection and alarm system to be installed in accordance with BS5839-6:2004, so I need to get this designed as well. Do such things exist combined with intruder alarms or will this require a completely separate system?

AlarmProtection - I'll give you a call tomorrow - if I call the main number is there anyone specific to ask for?

Thanks

Robert

Due to the size of the house, building control have mandated that for a Grade B Category LD2 fire detection and alarm system to be installed in accordance with BS5839-6:2004, so I need to get this designed as well. Do such things exist combined with intruder alarms or will this require a completely separate system?

Not powered directly from the alarm, but, with a bit of careful planning you could at least zone it off (i.e floor by floor or at least high and low risk areas, i.e I'd personally like to know about fire alarms going off in loftspace or garage separately) and still connect via intruder alarm / signalling device.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks for all the advice so far, you guys are spot on regarding the time, part of me thinks this would be a nice project (I've got an electronics, pbx and IT background), however, I should really be spending time putting up gyproc, installing electrics and drains and such...

The more i think about it, the more I'm coming round to the idea of getting a professional install - I've already spent too much time reading stuff!

AlarmProtection - I'll give you a call tomorrow - if I call the main number is there anyone specific to ask for?

Thanks

Robert

Robert,

I am not in the office tomm but Kelli will answer your call and book you in for a survey. Where are you building your house? Our no is 01383 748829 or visit our web on www.alarmprotection.co.uk

Sorry if I have broken admin rules James.

Thanks

!