Security Installer Community

Starting Up

I could never go back to being employed, I've been my own boss since 1993

If someone told me what to do now, I would tell em to feck off

Like many here, we all work our knackers off and it becomes the norm every day

I have spent years pushing the ruthlessly business forward without realising the obvious,

I've got 3 daughters, 5,7 &12, it only seems like yesterday me eldest arrived.

To start putting things right and start spending precious time, I booked a family holiday 3 weeks ago in gran canaria in June. taking my girls for some long overdue undivided attention at a waterpark holiday

I've finally realised, time is precious, it passes by so fast. Make the most of it now. Money isn't everything

Spot on mate, running a business can take over your life, did mine, im changing that to.

No mobile is on and have web access, but calls not to me so it's very very rare I get a call. Since being told I had very high blood pressure etc a couple of years ago due to stressing over that kind of stuff I had a big change and thought feck it.

It can wait until tomorrow / Monday etc, I now wind down at weekends if I am not on call and try not to think of work until Monday morning, and i get to spend quality time with my family.

I dont do weekends, never have. (other than the odd call out)

One big plus i have is no email to phone, once office comp is off, thats it.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

The past 2 years of my life have just been **** tbh.

Best mate, his sister and mum, my uncle and 2 of my aunts sisters have gone in 2 years and I came home one night and just said "enough is enough"

I really thought I was going to have a breakdown but I say live everyday like it's your last and have as much time with the family as possible.

I come home and and just have a laugh with the family. " my alarms not working".......will deal with it tomm

!

GEC-Marconi, before the big selloff, would discipline people working after 6 without a very good reason to be doing so...

They still managed to have several billion in the bank in those days,

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is going it alone isn't cheap, but its up to those of us that do go it alone to make it work.

Utilise the contacts you have, create new ones, spread the word and do what you can.

It isn't an easy process and good luck

Wayne

• 1 year later...

Mountainrider, how did it go in the end? Did you start up or let the idea go?

I went self employed in 2004 my money dived to nothing for 2 years but did pick up slowly. Strangely moving to Cheshire from north Wales 4 years ago has been the best thing ever I ever did as my income has massively improved (and my prices stayed the same)

• 4 weeks later...