Security Installer Community

Bt Infinity With Hh3

datadiffusion

Stripped out Netgear firmware IIRC lots of features missing.

I recommend setting the VSH to "modem mode" and getting your own router.

Its heavily skinned. Only come across 2 so far, setup the ports and using the DVR for dyndns.

Talk talk are using dlink units. Looks like a tiny homehub.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stripped out Netgear firmware IIRC lots of features missing.

I recommend setting the VSH to "modem mode" and getting your own router.

Yep.

No fannying around, just plug my trusty Draytek in and alls well.

Really, thought the A B thing was HH2s? Where there were 2 totally different guts?

Thats 2 now for DHCP-but-reserved, versus a BB forum true static.

Interesting. Well, lets see what happens when I go back. For the sake of £19, would bang in a TP-Link cable router,

except that every internet issue ever would be us on speed dial...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yep.

No fannying around, just plug my trusty Draytek in and alls well.

Just got myself a Draytek Vigor.

I never liked the old blue ones, but I thought I'd try one after seeing them becoming more popular rack mounted in tidy server rooms.

Now I have played with it I love this new one, it's great.

Three DDNS services at the same time and a huge selection (**** you DynDNS), USB port as a NAS and/or a 3G/4G WAN, DHCPv6 setup and working over v4.

Definitely recommended kit.

Really, thought the A B thing was HH2s? Where there were 2 totally different guts?

Thats 2 now for DHCP-but-reserved, versus a BB forum true static.

Interesting. Well, lets see what happens when I go back. For the sake of £19, would bang in a TP-Link cable router,

except that every internet issue ever would be us on speed dial...

Yup had it myself, two installs next door to each other (brother and sister) both on fibre, first one flew in port forwarded first time. Second house, must have spent an hour on it.

Leave dhcp enabled on the dvr, reserve the ip it in the router

I've power cycled them a few times and it's all gravy

New hh4 has the same issue. Strange as the b type hh3 sorted it

Just got myself a Draytek Vigor.

I never liked the old blue ones, but I thought I'd try one after seeing them becoming more popular rack mounted in tidy server rooms.

Now I have played with it I love this new one, it's great.

Three DDNS services at the same time and a huge selection (**** you DynDNS), USB port as a NAS and/or a 3G/4G WAN, DHCPv6 setup and working over v4.

Definitely recommended kit.

Absolutely rock solid kit, and a breeze to setup for all the many options.

Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Yup had it myself, two installs next door to each other (brother and sister) both on fibre, first one flew in port forwarded first time. Second house, must have spent an hour on it.

Leave dhcp enabled on the dvr, reserve the ip it in the router

I've power cycled them a few times and it's all gravy

New hh4 has the same issue. Strange as the b type hh3 sorted it

Ok, I will reboot, as settings wise its all as described... Shame about hh4 as that would have

been option 2! One thing I didnt reboot was the vdsl modem, but afaiu that wouldnt make a difference...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Don't use the word cctv in the service name you create, that causes problems with the hh3. Are you remembering you need to apply twice, once to add the port, then once to confirm the service? Also a full reboot vdsl and all helps sometimes. i've had 2 that just wouldn't play the game, then suddenly started to work with no real reason.

Good old HH3 Type A i'd guess...what a crock of brown stuff

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Port-forwarding-and-Loopback-DO-work-YMMV/m-p/525363

Just one of the many threads, I have picked up a few HH3 Type B when out and about where customers have switched BB provider so always useful to carry about as it takes 2 mins to swap and sorts the issue

Draytek are fantastic but as with swapping the original BT gear to any other router if a BB issue comes up BT blame installer

HH5 is 100% , customers can ring BT and request upgrade to HH5, worth looking at equipment on inital survey and recommending its upgraded prior to install

Don't use the word cctv in the service name you create, that causes problems with the hh3. Are you remembering you need to apply twice, once to add the port, then once to confirm the service? Also a full reboot vdsl and all helps sometimes. i've had 2 that just wouldn't play the game, then suddenly started to work with no real reason.

Ah, so "CCTV DVR" a no-no then ;)

Really odd you mention that as at one point, 'BT CCTV' or something flashed up on the GUI before disappearing and I thought 'what???'

Good old HH3 Type A i'd guess...what a crock of brown stuff

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Port-forwarding-and-Loopback-DO-work-YMMV/m-p/525363

Just one of the many threads, I have picked up a few HH3 Type B when out and about where customers have switched BB provider so always useful to carry about as it takes 2 mins to swap and sorts the issue

Draytek are fantastic but as with swapping the original BT gear to any other router if a BB issue comes up BT blame installer

HH5 is 100% , customers can ring BT and request upgrade to HH5, worth looking at equipment on inital survey and recommending its upgraded prior to install

Had no idea there was an A and B problem for HH3 (but there clearly is!) just like HH2 - except there didn't BT get forced to do a 100% recall?

HH5 is free if customers moan? Yes, wish I'd checked, except, I did just not knowing about the problems :)

I spoke too soon!  I have discovered a definate problem with the port forwarding on the BT Home Hub 3B.  In general, what wrote in my original posting is correct - it works. But only if you forward a single port at a time.

Even more interesting! Will make a few changes when I go back.

Thanks for all your replies by the way, its been helpful. So far the customer is chuffed with the camera quality and not too bothered about remote access, as that was never really what they wanted the system for (they have a problem with peoples sat navs taking 4x4s over a closed off road thats been landscaped and footpathed)

Edited by datadiffusion

Another thing I have just thought could cause this issue is an incorrect Gateway IP on the DVR.

Worth double checking.

I can confirm you can find bugs in router firmware, I found with some brands (D-Link is one IIRC) you can have issues forwarding TCP/UDP in the same rule.

Being lazy I did leave the TCP/UDP as 'all' initially, but soon changed it to TCP only.

I did check on the DVR and the gateway was 192.168.1.1 so that is correct for an unmodified hub,, isn't it?

Most hh are 192.168.1.254

what ip address were u using to program the hub?

Sorry thinking of my own, that rings a bell, I think it was that now.

I just used bthomehub.home to prog, I am actually certain it did end .254 on the DVR readout.

Went back to site this Am

Changed the name from Cctv Dvr to just dvr

Changed the port forwarding so rather than one list of 3 ports, it was 3 separate services

Avoided using the name Cctv in any of the above

No reboot, worked immediately... Ffs bt, what a load of junk.