Security Installer Community

Main difference between g2-20 and 44 is number of available zones. The flex is more like the grown up dimension but I've heard woes with it. Ignore connector methods, rs485 is what you'll be using,

2 way key fob is the radio fob, not to be confused with a normal fob you hold to the keypad prox. Swipe card idea is correct for this method.

ASK proximity reader is the fob reader. There are 2 types but ASK is fine.

Ethernet module lets you communicate to an arc or run the downloader software via IP

GPRS module does the same but via mobile.

RF portal is a wireless zone expander for cordless devices.

In fairness to Honeywell galaxy is a pro product so what you see on their website is geared at selling the solution to us rather than and end user.

As for monitoring on a laptop in the kitchen, why? The downloader software isn't really so end user friendly and if the alarm triggered they keypad would be near by? If you can let me know what you want to achieve I can maybe advise you better.

ECP expander looks like a rio but sits in the ecp bus rather than the 485 one. Same function as a rio.

As for size g2 is a small panel. Sticks out off the wall a fair way compared to some but it is a baby panel.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I would like to control the alarm settings from a computer if possible, but be able to monitor activity from work or from abroad on holiday for example - to check up that things are ok a home. Sorry was using your example from earlier but I shouldn't have as I have misled you by doing that.

Can you explain what a radio phob is and what a normal phob you hold to the keypad is please? in basic terms again is fine just so I can understand the basic functionality.

Thanks

Radio fob is just like what you have to get into your car. Cordless, one button to set, one button to part set and one button to unset,

Normal fob is a little black thing, hold it to the keypad to set, swipe it last the keypad to unset

If you want to do checking up this would be far far easier with the app rather than the rss software. It's new, never tested it but doesn't work with a g2 so you'd need a flex or a dimension.

G2 metal case dimensions are 300x255x115  (excludes G2-44+ which is slightly bigger).   I'm assuming electrics are in some sort of cupboard above the door out of sight. If so, then probably okay if it can be fitted neatly.

Ethernet enables IP based communications over your broadband connection (Android IP keypad app and browser based keypad software is only available with the LCE module on the G2. You'll can google this).

GPRS - These are only compatible with the G2-44+ panel on the G2 range. Providing programming and SMS over mobile network.  Note they cost £200+ for the modules alone, then you need to maintain a SIM card.

RF Portal - Enables wireless detectors on zones and radio keyfobs for setting/unsetting without going to the keypad (you still need a keypad though).

ECP bus expander will not be used.

The Flex case is plastic and a bigger footprint than the G2.  The Dimension case is about twice the size of the G2.

I suggested the G2, as you can get them new on Ebay for half the price of the Flex.  You'll need to go to an on-line retailer for the Flex. The Flex is most recent and has more firmware issues than its elder brothers.

Meant to also say, would be good if I could switch the alarm on or off whilst out if needed, e.g. If I forgot to switch it on or in times where the wife asks have you put the alarm on and with my OCD have to re-check that it is switched on. That kind of thing.  Also I would like to be notified on my phone to say if the alarm has been set off.

You mention an app, is there a particular app you are referring to?

GD remote. It's on the AppStore but not g2 supported :( it's called gx remote

Galaxy guy has written his own app for the g2 but it's not anything to do with Honeywell or an official galaxy product which might or might not be an issue to you. Personally I only use manufacturer supported gear so any problems you know where it lies when using copies of stuff can be difficult when it don't work who to blame

If you want notifications, I don't believe the app does that whereas galaxy guys £1 a month deal does

And has they keypad control. Only drawback is it isn't a Honeywell product but it is g2 compatible and does what you want in all other ways so might be worth the risk?

https://www.selfmon.co.uk/SelfMon/cpanel/

Saying that I'm not sure if you have an iPhone if the thing galaxy guy has works with that? Maybe he can confirm either way but the proper Honeywell app is iphone/ipad compatible as I have it on mine.

Edited by matthew.brough

Yes, if you want Honeywell's GD app, you will need to buy a Dimension or Flex panel. You will also need to buy Honeywell's own £200 Ethernet module, as they have no current app option to allow the app to work on non Honeywell hardware or even some Honeywell hardware like their GT20 and GT40 Chiron based modules.  I'm working on compatibility with the low cost module, but it's cypher based, so not easy... 

The Honeywell app is not PC based, only iPhone or Android.  It's a bit buggy with my test Dimension panel and keeps complaining about groups being set when they aren't.  Not sure where support comes from for it, as the installers I have talked to get shrugged shoulders from their Honeywell support partners when they ask any questions (esp where compliance with regs is concerned). 

Also, the non Honeywell keypad app is for the whole Honeywell Galaxy range (excluding the old 8+ and 16+ panels which never supported Ethernet). It only provides a software keypad, but is fast and gives full control.  The reason Honeywell app doesn't work with G2 is that their Ethernet module E080-2/4 does not provide the feature set when connected to the G2 panels.  The LCE module does just that.  No matter which module/panel combination, SelfMon supports them all for SMS/Voice/Mail and although the Android app is available (as iPhone variant isn't finished),  selfmon offers a browser based 'On demand' web based keypad which can be launched on any device with a browser. You don't need to worry about static IP's or Dynamic DNS either.

Stuart.

Edited by GalaxyGuy

Yes, i-On remote access isn't the best or the most secure, but real-world, for a self install (where an intruder can't see a box outside suggesting the system brand)

I'd say am I-On 40 Hybrid fits the bill. Texe does too but costwise the COM-IP might poo on the price. Adrian did mention a vastly cheaper COM-IP coming soon though, AFAIK.

Like everything, all non-monitored monitoring is as bad all non-monitored monitoring!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Siemens SPC 2nd model up from base

AFAIK scanny ion40 is the cheapest with on board wireless too. No apps though, just browser, albeit now with mobile centric keypad page.

Wireless in one way though.

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I wouldnt say ion is a diy panel by any means, but the one the diyer has best chance of grasping, support is 0898 type no if your not touchpoint though. Wireless good if you just want to add a fob or two, no good for detector use being 1 way.

Siemens the better, not tried hkc.

Edited by datadiffusion

• 1 month later...

Paul, get the Galaxy G2 and Galaxy Guy's SelfMon app. If you can't stretch to getting a professional in to install, then get your sparky friend to do it. Just ensure that he runs alarm cables separate to mains, sites detectors in sensible places(not looking out of windows, above radiators etc). I personally wouldn't site the panel above the entry door, as I think they should be in a discrete location, but it's up to you. Don't forget to run a cat5 cable from your router to the panel too, for the Ethernet module.