Security Installer Community

Hello

I really need some advice about a burglar alarm.

I would like to purchase a burglar alarm and my sparky friend to install it for me. I have been researching different types and one that I came across that is very highly recommended is the Honeywell Galaxy range. I am looking at the Flex 20 which even though seems to be in the low end of Galaxy range, I think it would be more than adequate for my 3 bed semi. I like the concept of the system of how easily expandable it is, should I wish to add features to it at a later date. Additionally, I still have the cables in place from an old Accenta alarm so the Galaxy will have wired sensors/security lights connected to it, as well as a keypad.

I have emailed Honeywell for advice but have not had a response so am turning to this forum as I need to purchase a system soon so I can continue my housing project. Please can you answer my questions?

- One thing I definitely want is a speech (and text if possible) dialler. With the Galaxy Flex 20 does this come integrated? (I cannot see any other Honeywell speech diallers on the net other than the 'informa') or is there a specific module that I would need to purchase in addition to the alarm panel to get a speech dialler?

- This is probably a bit of a random question...I like the idea of the PIR camera, how do these work please? Is there special software I would need to purchase for a PC or smart phone to see whats happening in the property? Does it pick up audio from the camera too? Can the footage be recorded from this?

- So I was thinking to set up a system as follows: Galaxy Flex 20 control panel, keypad, 4 phobs for different members of the family, 3 PIR camera sensors, speech dialler module(if one is required separately? unless it is integrated)

- Where would the best and cheapest place be to buy this from online?

- Does this sound like a good setup?

I have recently renovated my property in a big and high quality way so I believe my hard work deserves a decent burglar alarm system to protect it. If I can monitor it then even better.

Thanks for your advice and your time.

Paul

Edited by Paul Lewinski

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your nice house and hard work deserves a decent alarm, it deserves a decent professional engineer to commission it?

Does you sparky mate fit much galaxy?

Welcome btw :)

Edited by 9651

I would like to purchase a burglar alarm and my sparky friend to install it for me.

I'd let your sparkie friend do sparking and leave alarm installation to an alarm engineer with your chosen panel. It isn't for an amateur.

I have been researching different types and one that I came across that is very highly recommended is the Honeywell Galaxy range.

Not without issues but it is at the higher end of products and would be happy with one in my house.

I am looking at the Flex 20 which even though seems to be in the low end of Galaxy range, I think it would be more than adequate for my 3 bed semi. I like the concept of the system of how easily expandable it is, should I wish to add features to it at a later date. Additionally, I still have the cables in place from an old Accenta alarm so the Galaxy will have wired sensors/security lights connected to it, as well as a keypad.

Flex is far from the low end of the range. The G2 holds that crown however for a residential perfectly capable little panel. If you want to do anything clever such as links to other gear and timers etc the G2 isn't geared for that.

- One thing I definitely want is a speech (and text if possible) dialler. With the Galaxy Flex 20 does this come integrated? (I cannot see any other Honeywell speech diallers on the net other than the 'informa') or is there a specific module that I would need to purchase in addition to the alarm panel to get a speech dialler?

No. This is pro kit and none have speech diallers installed and for good reason. They are skip food. Galaxy's have integrated diallers to connect the system to a proper alarm monitoring station. If you want tin pot monitoring via a speech or text dialler you need to add it separatly although i'd avoid like the plague.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

- This is probably a bit of a random question...I like the idea of the PIR camera, how do these work please? Is there special software I would need to purchase for a PC or smart phone to see whats happening in the property? Does it pick up audio from the camera too? Can the footage be recorded from this?

There are quite a few pir cam solutions but in general the idea is that when an alarm triggers still pictures are sent to a monitoring centre to see if the alarm is real or not and if real to call the police. I do believe there are some low end version direct to mobile but can fail for many reasons and aren't worth the trouble IMO. Someone else here may have more to add on the specific subject of pir cam to mobile phones as a proper monitoring station we don't offer it.

- Where would the best and cheapest place be to buy this from online?

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/

- Does this sound like a good setup?

I

Yes, apart from the dialler idea

I have emailed Honeywell for advice but have not had a response

Honeywell are the manfuacturer, they aren't there to offer consulatancy services. With galaxy it is assumed if you want to buy it or want support for it you know what you are doing. It's pro gear.

No he does not really fit alarms as far as im aware but I understand,

I'm sure he does but likley to be tin pot alarms, not Galaxy.

That is like saying as I have a garden hose I can do a firemans job. Different skillset.

I didn't realise an electrician wouldn't be recommended to install it. 

Electricians tend to be better at electrical work rather than ours

If your nice house and hard work deserves a decent alarm, it deserves a decent professional engineer to commission it?

Great minds think alike :)

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Galaxy do camera PIR's that work work flex, but again looks like it needs to be set to to be received at an ARC

I've never fitted those, but we interface our alarms with another camera PIR system. Its made by RSI videofied. 

This sends a 10 second video clip to the ARC to visually identify any intrusion etc. It can also be emailed to the end user, and i believe they now have a user app.

Edited by 9651

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the flack, but getting a sparky to fit what is considered as a non diy product, is a bit like going on a sparky website and saying I'm gonna get my burglar alarm engineer to rewire my house what cable do you recommend.

Honeywell are unlikely to answer your emails other than directing you to an installer. I cant say for sure because I dont install Galaxy anymore but I think it unlikely that the panel will have a dialler or text dialler the market it is aimed at is monitored but through an alarm receiving centre.

No disrespect intended here, but if you want to do it yourself or save money, get your sparks to install a diy system readily available and intended for diy install. If you really want a professional system then I'm afraid you need to get someone that installs these systems daily   

Thank you very much for the very detailed answers.

I admit this is very new territory for me so I am thankful for your advice.  Please could you tell me what you mean by a monitoring station?  By this do you mean a monthly payment monitoring scheme or like a PC somewhere that I would monitor myself? When you say monitoring station I picture a security guard sitting back on a chair with their feet on the table keeping an eye on a grid of monitors eating crisps - or it just could be that I watch too many films :o

Sorry for these simplistic questions, just trying to get my head around it all, its a minefield with all the options available.