Security Installer Community

Advice Please- Add To Old 9448 System Or Replace It?

Hello,

I've bought a house that has a 9448 system installed. I have the access code and it seems to be working ok. Due to the area and position of the house a bells only system seems reasonable.

I'd appreciate some advice

- is it a good idea to have it serviced? What should I expect to be done / to pay for a service? (Glasgow, if relevant)

- the main unit is in an awkward place. Is it possible (+ sensible) to add a keypad in another position, e.g. in the hall? 

- I would need one of the sensors to be moved as a storage cupboard will be built around it. Could you estimate how much I should expect to pay, e.g. to move it about a foot away?

- If replacing or adding to the alarm system,  how should I go about choosing a company to do the work? Should I avoid the people on gumtree?

Thanks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi And welcome to the forum

Yes get it serviced, the engineer will be able to tell you the condition of the system how old it is and any recommendations that he thinks may be relevant Expect to pay £60 -£100 but this would be for a years contract.

Scantronic is not my strong area but I do think it will accept a keypad, I am not sure if there will be one available anymore.

Moving the detector would be something we would do on the service visit, but some may charge an hour £60- £95

I would start www.nsi.org.uk or www.ssiab.org.uk you can search by using your postcode, pick three companies and choose the co you liked/felt most comfortable with not necessarily the cheapest. 

I hope this helps let us know how you get on

Thanks for your advice.

When I asked if I should get it serviced, I was thinking "shall I upgrade without spending any money on the old system?" given that I am looking at changing some things...  not that I am asking professionals whether servicing an alarm is useful  :proud:

You can still get keypads for the 9448, can you post a photo of the panel because there were about 3 incarnations and the keypad will not work with very old ones

link to keypad

http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/products/productsindex.aspx?intProductID=294&intProductCategoryID=38

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

A rough guide is if it already has a separate keypad, yes you can add another, if the keypad is on board and looks like the one in breffs link, again you should be able to add. Outside of this its not as easy to say without seeing it...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Thanks again everyone,  I appreciate your help. And I hope that the initial bit asking if alarms should be serviced didn't offend anyone!

I think the panel is like this one, and there are no remote keypads, just the main unit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scantronic-9448-Control-Panel-/190798870915?nma=true&si=Oi41yrWNPzbtpIkjPDqSNELI2%252Fk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The keypad will not work with that panel, time for a new system

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived