Security Installer Community

4 Camera System Advise Please

richard3009

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many ways, to many ti mention to conceal cables, bout one is in plain site.

i had to cable a listed building for CCTv, one of those big blocks of very expensive flats actually in Regents Park on the circle road.

Committee, diligently contacted National Heritage Trust and we had a meeting with a representative.

I have never met such a rude woman before, It was simply chucking it down at the time of the meet, i arrive first, this place is immaculate, so i politely removed my sodden shoes, shake if my rain coat before entering, and put on carpet slippers. This 'woman' turns up wearing a mess of a wardrobe and Dock Martin boots, which she kept on the whole time.

There was mud everywhere thanks to her, but better yet her 1st words were " i am in charge of these buildings, nothing happens unless i say so". So i know i'm in for a real corker of a meeting given my own spiky temperament that lives a challenge ;).

We had to get cameras either end of the main driveway, to video any cars wondering public etc, been complaints if cars being keyed, their cars are not Ford focusses, so need to be at a low level. no basement access or service routes available. Point blank, she did not want to allow any camera at all. I say here, i fully respect national heritage and the work they do, i pointed out these people are millionaire's,without their tenancy and stewardship the upkeep would not be found, As such wealthy people they attract serious criminals, They have the right to protected themselves, while being sympathetic to the buildings character being retained

But she w,as not to be moved, would not accept cameras inside the existing street lights, or extra lamp standards,post boxes etc being installed, she was just not having any of it.

Annoyed, i go on the offensive (very unlike me lol!), and ask " so you are totally responsible to maintain the uniform appearance of the buildings?" ti which i get a prissy yes, so i ask "why then is it if you look along the front door main entrances, not only are the door entry systems of different design, but of different colours, different makes and even at very obviously different heights?". I thought her neck veins were going to burst, instead if replying she suddenly had another meeting to go to lol!

Anyway, I got around it by cabling over the roof and down in a facia seem, covering the cable with sealant, then painting over, you just could not see it. These roadway cameras were specially made from a triangular steel sheet, bit like a lift cart camera, but made watertight.Other cameras were in the roof drainage valleys using Pulnix modules with telephoto manual lens in 'tube housings. Cables down from roof to DVR location in one of the apartments, i used a drainpipe on the rear elevation to disguise.

The system was hidden that well,

I actually received a complaint from this woman, bemoaning she had spent a lot of her invaluable time in assisting us this project, and having visited noted no cameras had been installed. we should as a professional company have informed her of the delay,

I simply sent her a complimentary tape showing all16 cameras fully working, funny, i never did hear from her again lol!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Its chain you hang lights off for example

Ah, like used on fluorescents - just proves positive i'm not a sparks lol!

i have used a strong magnet on the end of cable access fishing rod, to get a screw used as a weight on some string. i home made a simple extended flat bit for drilling edgeways through doors to cable mortice locks, found some steel tube as a tight fit to the hex end, then crimped it onto a 3/8" flat bit so it's about 1.3 meters long.

That tool has earned me a mint over my self employed years, few would try drilling edgeways through a w ide solid oak or beech door for fear of breaking out through the side. To ensure i am running 'true' i use clamps to secure a spirit level as a straight edge, and keep the tool shaft parallel to it (by eye), and level due to the spirit level.

Thats cos you sent her a vid of the 1984 FA cup by mistake ;)

i think from her dress sense, she would be more excited to get an England Woman's Netball team Calendar!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived