Security Installer Community

Blog - An Uninvited Guest In Your Living Room...

Joe Harris

I have a Smart TV I actually like the idea of it being smarter, advertisements that appeal to me rather than the boring ones also sound cool. At the end of the day why do I want to see adverts on dentures? or Soap powder when I can watch ADT's add LOL

The bit on 'Relevent Content' reminded me of the other day.

I was sat watching one of the documentary channels. All about tank battles in the 2nd WW.

On came the adverts. I kid you not. Everyone was about babies/nappies and wimmin. Thought to myself at the time someone hadn't planned that one properly.

When this first rolls out there should be some good opportunities for hardware hackers to get rid of ads and make their own remote inputs - This opportunity will be reduced as TV software is updated and TV software developers up their game.

Good links thanks Cubit.

I agree that it's better to have relevant ads - but I don't want to just see the same old adverts for the same old thing all the time.  There needs to be a degree of entropy to allow you to see something outside your normal viewing habits or else nobody will explore and will just live in a bubble of sameness.

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

When this first rolls out there should be some good opportunities for hardware hackers to get rid of ads and make their own remote inputs - This opportunity will be reduced as TV software is updated and TV software developers up their game.

Good links thanks Cubit.

I agree that it's better to have relevant ads - but I don't want to just see the same old adverts for the same old thing all the time.  There needs to be a degree of entropy to allow you to see something outside your normal viewing habits or else nobody will explore and will just live in a bubble of sameness.

Adds are not a bad thing imo, getting the right adds to the right people is a good thing. How would anyone know anything about anything if it isnt advertised? I do get pissed with these constant emails especially when they are related to what I have been looking a on ebay or google search's. I was looking for a blind for the ensuite the other day and now I get daily emails from Hillarys Blinds, looked at healthy fryers on ebay and now getting constant emails from Ebay letting me know about the latest fryers advertised.

Was going to say been adfree for years here on 4od, just block adsever at hosts level, 4od player just assumes not reachable

and gracefully carries on with the programme...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I used to use the MVPS host file - Which was handy.  Also used Peerblock to acheive the same.

No real preference but any site I use more than twice I always ensure ads are blocked unless it is a site I want to support (Like this one).

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

Archived