Security Installer Community

Diy Honeywell Galaxy 16+ Initial Help Please?

gixerlad

Hi, I have a couple of questions in relation to a Galaxy 16+ which I cannot find using the search tool. (perhaps as I am not sure of the exact terminology to use!) I wondered if someone might be kind enough to confirm a couple of things for me.

Experience to date: So far over time I have installed three different alarm systems at home and for a mate in his shed. So I have some experience of the very basics of installing an alarm and programming it and getting it to work fault free.

JSB Firedex fire alarm

Honeywell Accenta Mini Gen4

Scantronic 9100

So given this I thought I would progress to a Galaxy 16+ for the garage.

I got a panel and keypad from THAT auction website.

I have managed to get an Engineer manual and have managed to cold restore / reset the panel, but have a couple of questions before going forward.

1.) Does all the zone equipment that I want to fit have to have end of line resistors in it? Does this mean I need to buy very specific senors, contacts etc. ( I used EOL resistors with the JSB fire alarm but my first experience of them in an intruder alarm.

2.) Do I need to have resistors in unused zones or can they just stay empty / unbridged?

3.) Does the Texecom speech dialer work with these would anyone know?

Any help much appriciated.

Ben.

1) yes 1k alarm and 1k tamper so each device will need 2 resistors. Some contacts/detectors have in built resistors but equally ones without just fit separate resistors.

2) leave empty

3) any dialler will work as you can just trigger it off an output programmed as intruder

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

cheers Mathew! Much appriciated! Seems a very cool panel, should be fun installing it.

One question I forgot, is do these need very specific alarm batteryies or just a standard one would you know?

It's a old panel. Over 10 years since they started to disappear. It was a basic panel as has gg say much simpler programming to its brothers. A 7ah 12v battery will be more than fine. In all honesty if I was in your shoes I'd be buying a g2-12

oh dear! It was cheap at £30 so hopefully it will be up to a simple job of the garage and managed to get all the manuals so hopefully it will be ok.

To be fair it will do that. Feel free to ask if you get hassle. Do you have the resistors or do you need a link where to get them from?

cheers again Matthew, Thanks will do. Will go to CEF and get a battery and speaker.  Zone wise it is only going to have three magnetic contacts one on zone 1 , zone 2 and zone 3. One for timed entry exit through one door and the other two instant. A smoke alarm and a dialer. That will be it. V basic. I have found three contacts with the resistors built in thanks for 10 quid,

did i read correctly that for wiring the keypad it is better to use two separate cables, one for the power only and one for all the comms and tamper only, does that statement ring any bells? cheers again.

£10, that's expensive. Had a look at securitywarehouse.co.uk?

You might find your gear cheaper and get delivery as part of the deal.

Keypad all on one cable, preferably belden or cat5 but in your run probably won't make any difference.

Security warehouse won't sell them. This is what you want http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1K-TO-10K-CARBON-FILM-RESISTOR-1-4-W-1-2-W-E12-RANGE-FREE-POST-OVER-5-/320874387076?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item4ab59a9684

Select value 1k and power 1/4w

Any detector connected will need resistors including smoke detectors, yes.

Hi, hopefully last ' ish question.

Having cheated and bought door contacts with the resistors built in, I know need to fit the speech dialer, one shock sensor and one smoke alarm to complete the setup. I have the resistors, thanks Matthew, but stoopid question, how are they wired in, in between the wire and the contact of the item/sensor? I cannot find a definitive answer with the search function but may not be using the correct terminology of course.

Thanks, Ben.

That is very kind Matthew thanks, I did not find the pics in the manual THAT easy to follow.  4 pages for the manual, thats alarm world humour right? 113 pages including all appendix. I'll have another read and if I really cant make sense of it I will post a picture. :)

113, wow. The 16+/8+ was a very simple panel compared to it's bigger brothers so I assume it is written in 40pt font. I couldn't think of what you could write so much about the baby panel. I was quite a fan of them in their time for small systems.

dialler

+12 to 12v in panel

0v to 0v in panel

trig1 to bell output.

The tamper connections are to detect the dialler being opened, id wire this in series with your bell tamper return

smoke

dunno what 1,2,3 & 4 mean, if you look in your book for it id suggest they are +,-,c and nc

shock

assuming blue and yellow for circuit

yellow to left tamper

1 leg of resistor into right tamper

other leg of resistor into left alarm

another resistor with an end of each in the alarm connector

blue in the right alarm connecter

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived