Security Installer Community

Stupid Question

Well if I don't ask i wont know right?....!

With regards to setting up a DNS service for a DVR, on a site with a dynamic Ip, I go to no-ip or whatever, set up a host etc. That bit I get. Then I enable it in the DVR, add the host name/passwords etc.

Question is, do i also need to add it into the router settings, or is the DVR updating the ip address to the DNS host?

cheers

Thought so

Looking at most of the DVRs we fit/deal with most have the DNS facility. I've actually got mine at home mine up and running  for a few months no problem, with ports forwarded etc

it was just that with a dynamic address i needed to set up a fixed host. Its actually straight forward!

To be honest remote viewing is only something we are getting into as the last gaffer was a bit of a dinosaur in that respect. Stupid really!. Only minefield i can see is port forwarding on weird domestic routers being an issue.

cheers

:)

I used to have a real fetish for Draytek routers but I have had nothing but greif using their routers with FTTC. Firmware after firmware update and still issues.

ADSL rock solid.

Cracking bits of kit Draytek. Can't comment with regards to FTTC though.

They're also a breeze to setup in comparison to most others - including the bog standard netgears.

Only routers I'd say watch out for is BT HOME HUB . They work but can be a pain to setup.

Everything else is fine.

Who's DVR's are you using ?

Really?

IMO they are the easy ones, I've set up 3 whilst messing about in the last few months with no real issues!? That's a HH3/2 and an old school white one with no issues I can think of?

Really?

IMO they are the easy ones, I've set up 3 whilst messing about in the last few months with no real issues!? That's a HH3/2 and an old school white one with no issues I can think of?

They'll catch you in the end. BT sh*te always does.

Oh :(

It's like the VM Superhub 2.

Basic spec and you think great. All the previous problems sorted, this'll do for me.

Nah, still got the old tried and trusted Draytek running.

Why?

Because the VM/Netgear unit has been cobbled. Half the features you're likely to need have been removed. so now it's just a modem...but 3 times bigger than the old units.

Cracking bits of kit Draytek. Can't comment with regards to FTTC though.

They're also a breeze to setup in comparison to most others - including the bog standard netgears.

If you use the Infinity modem into the Draytek and just let the Draytek do the pppoe onwards it is fine. It's when you use the draytek as the modem as well we have had migranes.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I run a business hub on one infinity line no issues with multiple static ip. Also run a draytec on infinity in the wan port again no issues. Only thing i don't like about the drayteks i have used is the naff brick

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Really?

Had some issues with the DMZ not working as it should and it losing its settings on another one.

Setup a few now have both been the HH3 IIRC.

Lol, I've got one of these - http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-R4299G

Its next to the alarm panel in the loft, so a quick bit of output enabling turns

on the wireless 3G on WAN Port 2...

I love TP Link kit, cheap, but feels solid, build quality no less than any other 'US name

but made in China' kit but without paying for the name.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Archived