Security Installer Community

Optima Xm Wiring Query

Hello all,

I had to replace the battery on my Optima XM. Seems fine powered up, NVRAM retained the code and I have a 'day' LED on.

However, to disconnect the mains I disconnected the 2 blue transformer wires from the mains terminal.

Pic here:

post-6868-0-61186500-1383230426_thumb.jp

note 2 blue wires on left unconnected.

Unfortunately the pic I took before disconnection is corrupt!

I'm not sure which blue wire is +ve or -ve, or if it matters.

Can anyone help?

Thanks for your time,

IA

Better to just pull the internal or external fuse for functional isolation.

Be very careful around mains electricity, if you are not a qualified electrician.

If you don't want to use a professional, turn off the power at the mains, and connect

the two blue wires either way round. There is no polarity for an AC transformer of this type.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yeah, not really a good idea to remove those wires.

A shock from any of them terminals could kill.

Also noticed the panels earth wire is cut off which isn't good either, not to mention the missing tampers on the zones and bell...

Not going to win compliant panel of the year award . . .

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

True, but if its a placcy case and OP doesn't know what they're doing, perhaps best left undisturbed :)

Cable will still have cpc to point of entry, not how you or I would do it of course.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yeah, not really a good idea to remove those wires.

A shock from any of them terminals could kill.

Also noticed the panels earth wire is cut off which isn't good either, not to mention the missing tampers on the zones and bell...

plastic case, so there is no onward connection of the earth wire after the fdu in the panel, so earth not being connected makes no difference, effectively a twin could be used.

Not pretty, the earth wire seems cut short into the outer insulation, some insulating tape wrapped around it at least would not go amiss.

this thread shows the need for a spur close to panel and properly marked up imho, but how often do you see it?

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

The 'earth' or cpc-circuit protective conductor, is there for a major reason, more so than the live conductors, ie live AND neutral, it does what it says on the tin, It protects the circuit, no matter wether its actually connected at the class two fitting/double insulated item or not, the earth of all three conductors is the most important for correct operation of protective devices-always carry it through in all wiring even if it's not required.

Why are we all assuming it isn't connected at the FCU end (if its even got an FCU, mind)?

There is clearly nothing connected to the other side of the earth terminal... so apart from bad

practice, i.e. I would never terminate a cable in this manner even if it was double insulated,
how is this going to benefit the installation?

DD my post wasn't intended to be a 'swipe' at anyone, purely suggesting that a 'cpc' be continued whether or not it is required by the final connected item.

If the supplying cable is compromised, the earth provides the return path for fault current, and operates the protective device, it's not a guaranteed 'get out clause' but it's much better than no earthing at all.

Totally agreed - and I'm sure it wasn't, my point was simply that encouraging tinkering with

mains by suggesting a problem, is prob not a good move being the OP (presumably)

isn't qualified.

DD my post wasn't intended to be a 'swipe' at anyone, purely suggesting that a 'cpc' be continued whether or not it is required by the final connected item.

This is what my post was inferring also.

Why are we all assuming it isn't connected at the FCU end (if its even got an FCU, mind)?

There is clearly nothing connected to the other side of the earth terminal... so apart from bad

practice, i.e. I would never terminate a cable in this manner even if it was double insulated,

how is this going to benefit the installation?

Does beg the question though, rough unterminated earth. Whats the supply end like?

Archived