Security Installer Community

Tc/ip Door Access (Paxton)

mcelec

Can make it cheaper. BUT, devil is in the detail. Unfortunately for OP he's coming to the install after everyone has done their bit, without it seems, communicating to each other or having a plan.

If PoE is only needed for the Controllers, then c£200 for a fully PoE 24 port managed switch will cover it - no need to worry about the managed switch, aart from perhaps changing it's default IP address.

On the other hand, if no thought to power has been given, and i haven't read anything indicating such, then there may be a much bigger cost to be paid.

Sage words, i also share your fears. Sort of job you go in to help, and risk catching a right cold all the blanm for your efforts imho

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned in post 12, check that mains has been installed at each door location, if it has then that rules out the need for a net2 poe ACU, if there is then  the units are Net2+ then patch the network port from the ACU to the supplied point by the data co, program and enjoy!

That would be the ideal scenario.

However, there are plenty of specs out there where they think everything will run over PoE so some bright spark does away with with local power - money saved, or so they think.

Bit that puzzles me is who installed the Access System and why connectivity (and power) seems to have not being considered

Im not disagreeing with you Cubit at all mate, but im thinking that if the 'sparky co' are going cheap they wont go for a POE acu.

No one is correct until mcelec has a pop down to site and sees whats installed, and when he does he will wonder why he was so worried :)

Pete Bennett

Northern CCTV Services

T: 0845 838 7383

E: info@northern-cctv.co.uk

www.northern-cctv.co.uk

Im not disagreeing with you Cubit at all mate, but im thinking that if the 'sparky co' are going cheap they wont go for a POE acu.

No one is correct until mcelec has a pop down to site and sees whats installed, and when he does he will wonder why he was so worried :)

Just read again, twas indeed the sparks who fitted it. (that would worry me lol)

Right bit of a update guys, basically the electrical contractor was asked to supply and fit 18 Net 2+ door entry units which are POE.

The contractor was informed that all data wiring would be done by others, with very little understanding of networking (even less than me) they went ahead fitted the handsets etc and then got asked about the switching!

They then asked us I had a brief look in to switch 2+ yesterday, and posted on here last night and got a bit of info.

This morning I spoke with them and found out the present situation, I have ordered a 24 port poe switch from CPC and one of our engineers is going to have a crack at it Monday, fingers crossed it should be straight forward, I will keep you all posted.

I think some are confusing the Net2 system (which comes in Classic and IP) and needs local PSUs with the new Net2 Entry system (which is IP only and indeed POE for the handsets)

Good luck and I've only just done the 'course' (half a day at a local hotel) so any probs happy to try and help!

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I think some are confusing the Net2 system (which comes in Classic and IP) and needs local PSUs with the new Net2 Entry system (which is IP only and indeed POE for the handsets)

Good luck and I've only just done the 'course' (half a day at a local hotel) so any probs happy to try and help!

And

682-284 Net2 plus 1 door controller - PoE+, Plastic cabinet

Pete Bennett

Northern CCTV Services

www.northern-cctv.co.uk

It appears the splitter that comes with the poe unit has a 12vdc output to power both the acu and a locking device, rated @ 1.5A

I think :hmm:

Pete Bennett

Northern CCTV Services

www.northern-cctv.co.uk

Archived