Security Installer Community

Help In Identifying Old Panel

They had a big office in Bristol too, went past it every day on the way to college.

Believe they bought out City then went TU and got gobbled up by OCS?
Amazing how many City boxes you'll still see in Bristol though.

Stainless so they'll be around for a few years to come. I've replaced a few.

All were old bells only 9448s, the classic 3 zone version.

I'm guessing someone came along and bought out OCS as all their boxes look really shonky?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Its a four zone panel removed from small storage unit, when if powers up on battery it says "4 zone online" the starts counting down "0 - 30" and the buzzer starts until it reaches 0 the then the display goes blank.

If you press a button you will get a dash - up to 4 in total

I never came across ASG over here before, the bell box is an old Modern Alarms type who got bought out by ADT, customer was doing a bit of a revamp so we got to upgrade to a HKC 1070, he said to old system was as solid as a rock very little false alarms and tripped to ACE monitoring the one time he had a genuine break in

Thanks for the replys

It was just a hobby of mine messing about with old panels and detectors

I have got many an old Aplex and Genesis going again in the shed, even an old AFA Fidela detector from 1975 !!!

Thanks for the response anyway

id be interested in pics of that?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

OCS round here, honest, they even kept the stickers and reports the same on the ones I took over, changed

only the logo... Again, unless this was only the domestics... But can't see OCS only wanting that kind of work?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

James,

I'm working down the country untill Friday, I will post the pic here and I have the panel as well ( complete with oscilloscope dial ) !!

The customer boarded the top two floors up in January 1978 and just traded from the basement and ground floor.

The tennent on the 1st and 2nd floor was a jeweller called the "ring king"

His lease expired and they dry lined up the top floors until last year

James,

this is the old AFA stuff they had lots of old batteries called cells or flags I think, they were kept in wooden boxes around the site and seemed to be linked to the tube and batton stuff on the windows

The Fidela motion detector still works perfectly on a newer panel and the lamp (not LED !!) lights up when it detects movement and the relay makes a really loud click

sharedmedia=gallery:images:539]

AFA Relay Board

AFA Panel 2

AFA Panel 2

AFA Fidela Inside

AFA Fidela Inside

AFA Fidela

AFA Fidela

Brad,

This is the Genesis, I remember the a-d split of the zone you had a different resistor for each detector, it was a pain on a service call as high resistance on a cable would really mess you up

also the plug on connection for the MLI units need a special tool to crimp properly or your connection could go dodgy and cause all sorts of GIL status marginal high or low

As far as I know Securicor Granley used to make them in the UK we could order separate circuit boards from them they looked like old PC cards, Securicor Dublin stopped using them around 2000, still a few around in schools and colleges in Dublin.

Genesis Valiant 1000

Jnealon,

That's the very panel a KES, I came across a Merlin 150 in the stores and the programming is the exact same

The engineer manual lets you program fine

Thanks for the help

James,

this is the old AFA stuff they had lots of old batteries called cells or flags I think, they were kept in wooden boxes around the site and seemed to be linked to the tube and batton stuff on the windows

The Fidela motion detector still works perfectly on a newer panel and the lamp (not LED !!) lights up when it detects movement and the relay makes a really loud click

sharedmedia=gallery:images:539]

I know these as Aritec's Advisor 3, had single units or multiplexed versions, also transmitter only units as range expanders.

Pretty good by comparison to other kit like AES (which had rubber bands supporting the transducers OMG) in their day tbh, had a little led test module called a 'BDI' - Background Disturbance Indicator, used to 'see' any low level noise.

You could change out the transducers, but usually you just had to squeeze up the plugs that connected them to the pcb. (same issue in all the Advisor Range). i proved i could actually hear them, by accurately saying when or off when operated by another engineer testing me, i had the advantage to be able to detect a warbling transmitter, but the disadvantage of extreme discomfort if i was close by, as it was very loud to me.

Because any high frequency noise could cause false alarms, you got used to listening/looking for things like escaping air from compressors, time clock, phone bells, door bells etc. even squeaking fans. and thats in too of all the other false alarm causes.

happy days lol!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Early AFA panel using flags as both control panel power and so called 'end if line' circuit batteries design, had two relays with a mechanical gate latch, this kit was called 'lock block and coffin'. The lock-block in its simplest form had a push button and key the equivilant of todays keypads, the coffin was the end station

In the Day position the bell relay was held by the gates interlocking arm, when you set the gate arm was moved away allowing fre movement of the circuit relay, bells or an agro buzzer were rung on exit having git outside user pressed a button to set and silence the bells.

if the circuit was broken the circuit relay dropped and as both relays were now de-energised a set if springs on each relay in series, rang the bells.

silence was restored with a bush button on the lock block having turned a key to activate it, the adjustment was pretty critical as was those springs being clean

it was used by many companies like Rely-A Bell, Brocks, Banhams Etc, but i don't know which had the original design or copywrite.

Edited by arfur mo

It was just a hobby of mine messing about with old panels and detectors

I have got many an old Aplex and Genesis going again in the shed, even an old AFA Fidela detector from 1975 !!!

Thanks for the response anyway

If you come across any old kit and you need help with, feel free to pm me, i might know about it and i'd be happy to share any information i have.

looking back, i wish i'd kept some of the old panels i ripped out in upgrades, the skills those guys had. control panels were made on site, from raw materials, they even hand made the relays and wound the coils, the workmanship was just stunning.