Security Installer Community

Permanently Disabling Gardtec 595

SharplyUnclear

Hi there,

I inherited an alarm system in my house nearly twenty years ago, which I had serviced regularly. Over time it became more-and-more temperamental (the alarm company upgraded my Regalsafe RS100 to a Gardtec 800 and the (after a lightning strike) to a Gardtec 595; but then I started to get infrared sensors causing problems - "spiders inside the sensor", "broken wire", "old age", etc.; the last major failure was 3 years ago when I was on annual vacation, which proved to be a considerable annoyance to the neighbours). So I decided not to use the alarm any more, and just ignored it.

Well, it's payback time now :shy: . Last night the console alarm went off because the auxiliary battery is failing. So I get a warning triggered every hour (which I then reset), reminding me of this joyous fact.

I will call a service company tomorrow and ask them to shutdown the system permanently (it's too unreliable to use - I need to be considerate to the neighbours). However, is there any way I can do something today (earplugs don't really shut the noise out when you're trying to sleep)?

Regards,

Steve Simpson

We cannot tell you how to disable your system.

It will as you know keep telling you it isn`t well.

Sorry to sound so negative here but we do actually have rules here about this subject.

You can try and disable the system yourself of course.

Be AWARE there is MAINS voltages present and you can suffer serious injury and or death from not understanding or knowing what you are doing.

Re: Comment from Oxo

I was not asking for advice on disabling the system myself. I was wondering whether I could switch-off the audible warning from the console or stop it from performing a check every single hour; after all this is not a security alarm but notification that the system needs attending to. A professional can decommission the system, I just want to minimise the nuisance it's causing.

Re: Comment from Lwillis

I used a NACOSS approved supplier. It seemed that they were at my house every 3 months with a different (often new) employee, criticising the work the previous person had done. And the advice wasn't consistent. I couldn't trust the system to behave reliably, despite them replacing lots of part$

Regards,

Steve Simpson

Re: Comment from Oxo

I was not asking for advice on disabling the system myself. I was wondering whether I could switch-off the audible warning from the console or stop it from performing a check every single hour; after all this is not a security alarm but notification that the system needs attending to. A professional can decommission the system, I just want to minimise the nuisance it's causing.

Re: Comment from Lwillis

I used a NACOSS approved supplier. It seemed that they were at my house every 3 months with a different (often new) employee, criticising the work the previous person had done. And the advice wasn't consistent. I couldn't trust the system to behave reliably, despite them replacing lots of part$

Regards,

Steve Simpson

That doesn't sound good steve.

A change of company may better suit your needs.

One question if i may.. When you had a strike, the panel was changed.

Was anything else changed at the same time?

Thanks stuart

Sorry if I sounded a bit negative there Steve.

The notifications will continue I am afraid unless you get the engineers code.

Try asking the on call engineer to sort this they have a duty to attend.

Depending on the fault and its cause it may not be chargeable.

Sorry OXO On G595 unfortunately even the engineers code will not stop the internal battery test from checking every hour (or whatever it is set to).

Steve, you will only get notifications internally, if you disable any internal speaker that will reduce the main noise. leaving the keypad as the only noise. Should you disable the key pad and a mains fail happens likely the external siren will activate, but should only ring for a pre-set time.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived