Security Installer Community

Access Point

MrHappy

Get one that supports extended service set, so you can increase range seamlessly( if it doesnt, your device will need to renew its ip every time it changes ap)

Happy towers is about as big a double garage...

I was thinking something POE, nailed to a wall, locked down to mac addresses.

I've only seen cisco airnet type stuff in the wild, but suspect I need something more idoit proof ?

Mr? Veritas God

i use a netgear unit. i used to have a cisco powered linksys. it was *****.

+1

Netgear and D-link are easy reliable units to configure, you can use an old WiFi router, just patch it to your switch panel but make sure it is not at the same address as your gateway router, as many are fixed to 192.168.(0 or 1). 1 (or 254).

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

arf you did give me an opening there

despite the enormous size my brain (statistical evidence of needing xxl size crash helmet), i have only normal fingers and other appendages - no cat5e plugs or sockets to connect me to Daves switch ;).

+1

Netgear and D-link are easy reliable units to configure, you can use an old WiFi router, just patch it to your switch panel but make sure it is not at the same address as your gateway router, as many are fixed to 192.168.(0 or 1). 1 (or 254).

And turn off dhcp

Get one that supports extended service set, so you can increase range seamlessly( if it doesnt, your device will need to renew its ip every time it changes ap)

this is what i need. i don't know a lot about networks and tried using two identical routers with the same wireless settings. the devices would switch from one to the other, but the connection was proper iffy!

so, got any recommendations?

this is what i need. i don't know a lot about networks and tried using two identical routers with the same wireless settings. the devices would switch from one to the other, but the connection was proper iffy!

so, got any recommendations?

can you set your second router to bridge mode?

As arf says. Both must support ess, set one to bridge mode with tother as the dest ip address. The non bridge mode then assigns ip addresses, and as long as you get your channels set right, ie, non overlapping, its seamless. Been a while since ive done it, but again netgear ftw. They do all make it hard to work out if they suppprt ess though, calling it other things. Not sure if they have developed proprietary protocols or what. So probably sensible to choose both by same manufacturer. Top of the range netgear cable router does it, had to buy one from pcworld last week, but it didnt once refer to ess protocol. Didnt have a use for it though so untested

thanks for the help.
doesn't look like my netgear can support it unfortunately :( but i do have a stack of old routers which i can try now i know what i'm looking for!
regarding channels, should they both be the same? or sequential (i.e 9,10), or does it not matter as long as they're not the same?

GEp3hMc.png

Keep the channels as far apart as possible, I run channels 1, 7 and 14 on 3 access points, all with the same ssid and wireless encryption/password

i use a netgear unit. i used to have a cisco powered linksys. it was *****.

I've got 2 linksys, no problems, flashed the firmware to dd-wrt ;D

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I've got 2 linksys, no problems, flashed the firmware to dd-wrt ;D

that's what i wanted to do, but all the linksys routers i have are incompatable :'(

i should probably just get some cheap linksys routers from fleabay and put dd-wrt on them.

With 2.4ghz wifi(b,g, and partly n) there is a channel spread of 2 channels, so if you use channel 1, then 2 & 3 should not be used. Similarly channel 6 would spread over to channels 4,5,7&8.

The recommended channels as therefore 1,6,&11. You should use a wifi analyzer app to check whats already used in ghe area and work around that. Android apps are called wifi analyzer, also inssider is good.

You dont want to overlap 2 similar channels, as collisions will occur, and this will slow down your netsork

Archived