Security Installer Community

False Alarm From Wired Pir

EdGasket

I have a Bentley Alpha2 panel with 3 Ademco wired PIR's from 1990 attached. This has worked fine for 23 years but the last two nights I have had a false alarm at around 1a.m. each night from one of the PIR detectors. Wonder if it is temperature related due to the time (low temperature)? The outside is clean; no sign of spiders etc. When I went to remove the PIR cover, the alarm tamper went off so have given up for tonight.

Questions:

Whats the usual procedure to clean up the PIR and contacts without the alarm going off? Would I open the panel and try to jumper the tamper circuit, then maybe disconnect all wires to the PIR?

Do PIRs just get temperamental with age and should I just replace it or might it just be oxidised connections?

Any tests/measurements I can do on the PIR or circuit?

Thanks for any help. I have no maintenance contract now

Ed

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a few things, at that age of device it might be getting more sensitive.

Is it facing a window or radiator? Any possible sources of draughts? ( not the red and black type)

When was the system last maintained by an approved company?

Nothing has changed re. radiators or draughts so no reason for it to go off on that score.

Probably serviced around two years ago but they never did anything with the PIRs on any service; maybe measured from within the panel; hence my question any tests/measurements i can take on the PIR or circuit and do I jumper the tamper circuit to do this - I presume so?

It's a mains powered system. I checked the backup battery in the panel a few months back and it's voltage is fine.

It is the furthest PIR from the panel.

ED,

When do you change your car? Do you get your car serviced every year?

I presume you have all the modern gadgets in your house....... But would like to know how to repair a 1990 installation to protect these expensive items?

!

ED,

When do you change your car? Do you get your car serviced every year?

I presume you have all the modern gadgets in your house....... But would like to know how to repair a 1990 installation to protect these expensive items?

I've replaced my PC 7 times in that timescale and 11 phones

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived