Security Installer Community

Back Yard

bee_man

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope Norm, the site hasn't got one, not insurance driven-at the moment!-purely master blaster and prox set/unset-I asked questions about prox keys on here previously and used a panel that will allow expansion/conformance if required in the future.

If the beams are broken floodlights come on etc etc.

intended as one,

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone for the opinions. The bird problem I would not have thought of, thanks, I'll attempt to prevent that. My yard is enclosed so I will probably give it a go and see what happens during the trial period. If I get any false alarms I won't leave it connected to the alarm, but turn on a light and sound a piezo for a short time.

bee

if you do fit external detection, ensure things like sheet materials are well secured. Winds can blow them around and upset hither to reliable detection.

Avoid placing leaving out food for wild life, placing motion sensors under tree's, heavy rain gets concentrated the past them, also avoid placing them covering external gas flues, and lastly - don't let the Mrs Hang out the washing if your intending setting them to be on ;).

i'd suggest if your panel supports areas, then place external detection on one, and have a 5 min bell ring time, might save the locals a bit of agro.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

For one customer I have set up a beam triggering lights, a small piezo and the input to a wee avtech ipcam which supports switchable push video to his iPhone. When he goes out or goes to bed he goes into eagleeyes and switches push video on from there. If the beams are triggered he gets a video clip on his phone a couple of seconds after and there is a button in the app to close the output relay on the ip cam which I have connected to a 24h input on the alarm panel. Visual verification without an arc. Cats are nosey ******** they'll climb up to anything for a look.

Very helpful tips, thanks arthur. They will both be fixed to solid masonary walls so should be fine. Nothing above them. Boiler flue is 2m away and above, what do you think?. We can't go out if the washing is on the line. Hmm, another one I hadn't thought of :) It will have to be an optional omit input. You'd have to be really determined to get through the washing anyway!. Panel will be a Castle Euro and does support areas and (R'sTFM) yes, between 2 and 15 minutes bell per area. Even 2 minutes would be too long if it's a frequent false alarm  (can I say FA yet?).

Another thought - how about putting it on a double knock input?. Maybe not, if someone walks straight through it I don't think it would trigger.

How about two beams set up so that if they trigger sequentially within a given period it sounds the bell, like a sequential confirmation detector?.

bee

Aha, thanks. In your experience, is it effective?

bee

Very. Usually when mr foxy is tall enough to break one set of beams but not the other. In all honesty if it is in an enclosed back yard I wouldn't be worried about just 1 set of beams causing too many issues. I remember a number of years back my neighbours (who took being unreasonable to another level) their kids used to play on my front garden and destroy it so I put a beam on the tree at the end of the front garden and wired it to a 96 and put the speaker outside. They soon got the idea to go play elsewhere.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Very helpful tips, thanks arthur. They will both be fixed to solid masonary walls so should be fine. Nothing above them. Boiler flue is 2m away and above, what do you think?. We can't go out if the washing is on the line. Hmm, another one I hadn't thought of :) It will have to be an optional omit input. You'd have to be really determined to get through the washing anyway!. Panel will be a Castle Euro and does support areas and (R'sTFM) yes, between 2 and 15 minutes bell per area. Even 2 minutes would be too long if it's a frequent false alarm  (can I say FA yet?).

Another thought - how about putting it on a double knock input?. Maybe not, if someone walks straight through it I don't think it would trigger.

How about two beams set up so that if they trigger sequentially within a given period it sounds the bell, like a sequential confirmation detector?.

bee

double knock would be an option, but i'd try 'it as' is first. Intruder walking straight through would be hard to do, so 2 knocks likely effective, just because if in alarm for more than 10 seconds it will activate on one continuous detection. so intruder jumping over a fence, advancing and then pausing to make an entry, depending on sighting has to be considered as a fair option imho.

Risco Agility as exmple, on rings ewd for 4 minutes, it seem;s short siren times are being favoured much more. If you think about it a siren going for 15 mins is highly annoying, while a siren going for only a few minutes is less so. Several repeat activations likely draws more attention. Often said most intrusions last only 90 seconds, so what the point of sirens sounding for longer than 5 minutes?. 

When I was at AD* I went to a call to chek over the system after loads of FA's found the engineer on the last visit had programmed the roller shutters that had give the problems on double knock and told the customer they should by ok now. :)

Another one was to fit an RB007 on a zone that was hi res. As in send 12v + through the zone to power the coil and use the NC for the zone.

They seemed think this was an acceptable fix.

When I was at AD* I went to a call to chek over the system after loads of FA's found the engineer on the last visit had programmed the roller shutters that had give the problems on double knock and told the customer they should by ok now. :)

Another one was to fit an RB007 on a zone that was hi res. As in send 12v + through the zone to power the coil and use the NC for the zone.

They seemed think this was an acceptable fix.

I'm sure in both cases problem solved? Just hope those crooks dropped the shutter and opened it again when making the getaway.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Double knock on a set of beams? I know I've had a few to drink tonight but I did just read you suggested to out a beam on double knock?

not ir beams, i'm taliking external motion detection such as WatchOuts or Optex PIR units, how would washing ever affect beams - unless you hung it on it lol!

Archived