Security Installer Community

What Sort Of Detector Is Best For Casement Windows?

cestor

we have a number of casement windows that are left open at night - what kind of detector can be used above the window outside and with a beam coverage that is effectively flat and pointing straight down?

we have a number of casement windows that are left open at night

More secure with them closed...

what kind of detector can be used above the window outside and with a beam coverage that is effectively flat and pointing straight down?

nearest thing I could thinbk of would be http://www.riscogroup.co.uk/Products.aspx?proid=639 or simular

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

You omit what height these windows are at.

However the example shown is a good method, if not the best for external and good coverage.

If at height anti climb devices and or paint may also be a good deterrent.

Alternatively a physical barrier such as grilles or collapsible gates.

Are these infra red barriers available for wired systems?

bee

Guess what...

They are.

Sorry for the short reply, was busy on another and miximotoses them up .............New Scrabble word Score................................

we have a number of casement windows that are left open at night - what kind of detector can be used above the window outside and with a beam coverage that is effectively flat and pointing straight down?

old school is to fit 2 contacts in the sash one above the other, and stop pins to restrict the window opening past say 4 to 6", first contact for when window is closed, second contact for when window is to be left open (but it has to be against the pin stop). you use just one magnet to work either contact, but wire the two contacts in parallel.

we need to have more info really, i have installed Risco Watch outs using narrow beam lens across windows at 1st floor, that are above extensions, but if the there are a lot of recesses it's going to get expensive.

or as i do for kiddies rooms where climbing out is more of a risk, than intruders getting in. or windows easily accessible.

fit wireless shock sensors inside, and check chains (as used on front doors). this way the window can be left open to a variance of several inches, the jar from the chain suddenly stopping the window while being opened will be sensed if the shock detector set correctly.

Grills will be a visible deterrent and slow a more determined intrusion but are rarely aesthetic and personally i won't live behind bars - unless they are staffed with a busty blonde owner ;). the above is safer as it allows easier exit in fire emergencies and the cleaning of windows from the inside. even if you added glass break detectors, it is likely to be far cheaper than grills or bars unless you buy them made to measure and fit yourself (there are kits).

must mention, if you leave windows open, you have a greater risk of fire spreading, and also false alarms from motion detectors in that room or elsewhere due to draughts.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Oxo : What I should have asked was what make and model of wired barrier is best and where can I get it.

Arfur : Not sure I understand your scheme. As I read it, it is for a single sliding sash window?. If so, I didn't know they existed, ours have upper and lower sliding sashes. It also seems to need a sign asking the burglar to make sure he opens the window to it's full extent?. I'm sure I've missed something. Physical barrier sounds fairly secure, but I would worry about fire egress. Risco WatchOUT looks very interesting, I'll definitely read more about that. Check chain is a smart idea too, but bit of a hassle to have to put a chain on and off so it may get forgotten, plus we would never go out and deliberately leave a window open, ever.

James : Optex bx80 is unusual, good that hugs the building front, but unless I am being obtuse, isn't there a problem with animals at ground level?. I searched the manual for animal, pet, dog, etc but there was no mention.

Peter : Yes, barrier beam still seems the overall best for my purposes. The only wired version I can find so far is a Chinese thing on Ebay. It may well be TDB, but I can't see it arriving with EN50131-1 Grade 2 or 3 stamped on it. Recommendations welcome anybody please?

bee

Archived