Security Installer Community

Resetting Inertia Sensors On Scantronic 9800

halibut

Hi, I recently moved into a new house with a Scantronic 9800, but no user or engineer code. I had to refresh the NVM so lost all the programming.

I have reprogrammed it, and it works OK but for a problem with a zone with 4 Viper inertia sensors. I can't get them to reset. By which I mean, if whilst the alarm is not set a Viper gets triggered, the comfort LED (as I believe it is known) comes on and stays on, and if I then go to set the alarm I cannot without first doing an engineer reset. If no Viper has been triggered before the alarm is set, all is OK. 

So, after a bit of research, I gather from a previous thread on this forum that one of the Viper's 12V terminals should be connected to one of the programmable outputs on the panel, set to 'Shock sensor reset', and was going to try this but discovered that I have a small additional PCB wired in between Output 1 and the Viper 12V +ve, as can be seen in the photo below.

post-52224-0-75476400-1368736614_thumb.j 

Does anyone know what this does and how it might work? With it in place I tried setting Output 1 to Shock sensor reset, with output state set to both +ve applied and -ve applied, as well as the default Set latch type 1, and none work (with differing symptoms). Should I just get rid of it and wire the Vipers directly to an Output? 

How is the LED on a Viper supposed to work, by the way? I imagine it is off normally when the alarm is not set, flashes briefly if triggered, then stops as the Viper is automatically reset. Is that right? I can't find much documentation for all this on the internet.

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks

Justin 

multi shocks on the same circuit use 1st to latch to indicate which one alarmed 1st

Its been many yrs since I seen an original viper however the output on exit mode momentarily removing power allowing the unit to reset is what I recall

Mr? Veritas God

Hi Justin,

2 normal ways available, you might have a normally closed  push button that temporarily disconnects the power to the detector and resets it, otherwise it is dealt with by a short pulse on setting, which removes the power for a short pulse, before arming (which you defaulted off when defaulting the NVM).

look at OP1 and OP2 on the main pcb, if there is a wire in either then look in the engineer manual to select pulse off for the OP that has a wire in it.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

That board is just a relay, program output 1 as type 49 

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

You could ditch the relay and wire straight into op1 set to 48

Viper led comes on when struck and stays on until reset, it will go out briefly if struck again

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Blimey that was quick, don't you guys have TV to watch?! Thanks for the suggestions. So the conclusion is that the board doesn't effect the programming, and I should set op1 to 49. I'm pretty sure I tried that earlier, but I'll give it another go. Thanks again. 

Archived