Security Installer Community

Veritas R8 Alarm Issue (Unset Flashing)

Roglaw

Hi,  I have seen a post similar to this before, however I am basically needing more info on what I need to do (an idiots guide if you will)  my alarm system is 11 years old and has always been fine (was fitted in a new property by an installer that does not trade anymore)  today I have noticed that the "unset" light is flashing continuously and when I try to put my code and "full" in to set the alarm it will not allow me to do so and just starts beeping at me !

I somewhat "stupidly" removed the screws from the unit (in the cupboard)  to have a look at the fuses/battery as mentioned in a previous post, but did not switch off any mains (maybe I was just lucky)  however I did manage to set the alarm off and it then showed the "tamper" light on my control panel, which I sorted out by inputting my alarm code and pressing reset.  

My questions are: 

a) is this an issue with the fuse, is so how do I know which one, where can I get a new one from, and will it electrocute me if I touch it ;o)

b) is it an issue with the battery ? is so how do I know which one, where can I get a new one from, and will it electrocute me if I touch it ;o)

c) how do I turn the mains off ? will this turn the mains off for everything in my house ?

Sorry to sound so stupid, but its better to be safe than sorry right !  

(I attached a picture of what I saw when I opened the box to help with any advice I can get)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks post-51056-0-72790900-1368015741_thumb.j

Its probably the battery

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

If you are not sure you should get an approved company to takeover and service the system.

This flashing normally indicates that there is no mains power to the unit or that the battery is faulty.

It's more likely a faulty battery, they should be replaced at least every 4 years.

You are lucky it's not on engineers tamper reset. As you would then definitely need an engineer or worse a new panel if locked.

There "should" be a fused spur next to the panel to isolate mains voltages or a way marked up on the consumer.

To set the system for now you can omit the fault by starting the setting procedure, pressing OMIT, 0, PROG.

If the programming will allow, this will give you time to find an engineer or a new battery.

Thanks swb I will try that, it seemed to rectify itself earlier today and then has gone again tonight !?! Ps I'm confused about the jokes on the battery ? I thought the battery was the actual thing that looked like a battery in the top left of the picture ? In which case if its the box at the bottom I sure as hell don't know what I'm doing and need to call an engineer lol ! Pps The cover has been on the box for 11 years and was only taken off for the first time today, I swiftly put it back on when I realised I did not know what I was looking at. (I am a girl with good knowledge of shoes and not alarm systems clearly) any ideas on a good engineer who cost me a fortune to replace a battery ? Thanks

*who Won't cost me a fortune

Where are you based?

Manchester area from the OP's profile.

Roglaw definitely don't touch anything near the purple "Capacitor" (top left). This is the rectifier section of the PCB and could give you a shock.

The battery is the large grey/black item, sat in the tray at the bottom.

Links to find approved alarm companies.

http://www.nsi.org.uk/

http://ssaib.org/security-provider-search/

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/forum/268-uk-security-installers-by-regional-police-force/

Archived