Security Installer Community

Android Devices Hit By Trojan Booby Trapp

arfur mo

in case you missed it, been reported a trojan app has infest thousands of Android devices mainly in Russia and far east.

This program was properly bought by developers and used to aggressively to advertise other apps and increase their revenue, which also increased the spread.

it got under the rogue activity radar by acting normally for quite a while, laying dormant waiting until a signal was sent by the control server to infected devices, ordering them to text or contact premium rate services.

item was on BBC world news that Game and other app providers had to shut their sites to investigate and clean house, so not just skankey alternative app sites. afaik.nothing like this to date.has hit iOS or windows platforms, but might so be careful.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where to start... IoS and Windows have both had the same in the past and still do now.  The apps were mostly junk cloneware / minor ones (Full listings are on OSVDB and similar).

The 'Bad News' malware that was at the base of this batch was sending premium SMS messages pretty much from the off and of course Google Play Store retains the ability to remove from the market any infected apps and even further - to reach out into devices on which the apps are installed to remotely uninstall them for just this reason.

The only real issue is potential for future similar attacks and those iinstalling from untrusted lcoations (Which is always going to feature potential for risk).

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

can't your fruit phone posts links.....

links - to BBC WORLD NEWS for a lazy lemon lol!

should be able to Google it

Where to start... IoS and Windows have both had the same in the past and still do now.  The apps were mostly junk cloneware / minor ones (Full listings are on OSVDB and similar).

The 'Bad News' malware that was at the base of this batch was sending premium SMS messages pretty much from the off and of course Google Play Store retains the ability to remove from the market any infected apps and even further - to reach out into devices on which the apps are installed to remotely uninstall them for just this reason.

The only real issue is potential for future similar attacks and those iinstalling from untrusted lcoations (Which is always going to feature potential for risk).

imho less vulnerability because iOS is both harder to dent and far less hated than M$?

imho less vulnerability because iOS is both harder to dent and far less hated than M$?

i think its more to do with the number of units available to exploit.

also google's 'do no evil' isnt going well

ios has a very closed system and this limits its flexability but does allow for more control of what an app can do. Android is quote an open platform, i could write a virus for it, i couldnt for ios as you need a mac to develop on.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

links - to BBC WORLD NEWS for a lazy lemon lol!

should be able to Google it

another link fail ?

"android trojan bbc" in google does not produce a link to your story on the 1st page, if you want to engage the posters to comment on your content a link helps greatly

Mr? Veritas God

here u go

and I thought google was your friend?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2010/01/11/banking-trojan-hits-android/1

i'm using W8 on my laptop. nm BBC World World News pages there is no link, right click nothing, just a box in the footer allowing you to email someone the story

I simply typed 'android Trojan' to find above link, this means all you 'androidians' are simply lazy lemons lol!

It;'s OK Arf - links are fiddly.   Thankfully, I've found some simple instructions for you.

many thanks,

anyone got instructions on changing image sizes to get them on the boards?

here u go

and I thought google was your friend?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2010/01/11/banking-trojan-hits-android/1

i'm using W8 on my laptop. nm BBC World World News pages there is no link, right click nothing, just a box in the footer allowing you to email someone the story

I simply typed 'android Trojan' to find above link, this means all you 'androidians' are simply lazy lemons lol!

errr..

Banking trojan hits Android

Published on 11th January 2010 by Gareth Halfacree

maybe read the links you post ?

Mr? Veritas God

arf re images they dont need resizing for use in posts. Just click on more reply options and upload the images from there

errr..

maybe read the links you post ?

the story I see was on BBC WN/technology, so I assumed it was current. you could not find it using your ZX81 + 16mb ram pack, I had already read the BBC article so simply googled, resulting in several links, did not read them just copied and pasted top one

the one I used might be old, but perhaps another (later) version is doing the rounds? either way just putting it out their for you 'androidnaughts' ;)

the story I see was on BBC WN/technology, so I assumed it was current. you could not find it using your ZX81 + 16mb ram pack,

Reading between the lines of the your dementia ridden ****witted ramblings, I reckon this may be the article which inspired you to post a new subject,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22213383

(All found & posted with one of those evil M$ computers)

Mr? Veritas God

I use them too, but worse still i also have moved us all over to m$ phones mostly on wp7.8 but my new lumia 920 is even more evil.

I enjoyed my evil WP7 however I found they had little interest in stealing my personal info so went for the "do no evil" nexus 4 who no doubt carry on like apple

Mr? Veritas God

they do.

But which do/did you prefer? I notice little difference but speed between my old lumia 900 vs 920

hated my android htc desire. Not keen on the gf galaxy 3 feels like if i pulled it out my pocket the wrong way it would split in 2

Reading between the lines of the your dementia ridden ****witted ramblings, I reckon this may be the article which inspired you to post a new subject,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22213383

(All found & posted with one of those evil M$ computers)

I fear this is pointless asking -:

so if your that bleeding clever why did you not do as you say you have done already, instead of bitching about no link (having been clearly given the source from the off), then bitching again abut the date of a story I linked to?

but never mind put it down to MY senility

(not my fault you made a public total plonker of yourself and bought into the wrong technology!)

they do.

But which do/did you prefer? I notice little difference but speed between my old lumia 900 vs 920

hated my android htc desire. Not keen on the gf galaxy 3 feels like if i pulled it out my pocket the wrong way it would split in 2

Whats the Lumia like with exchange server?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Whats the Lumia like with exchange server?

if i had something newer than ex 2003 then great. but with ex 2003 i cant flag emails and the flag show in outlook. Other than that its great. i think you need ex 2010+ for flagging to work.

Archived