• Created
  • Last Reply

pish alert,

simple accuracy and facts, I associated the Atari ST-

Atari_ST_1040.jpg

With GEM,

tosabout.png

Clear enough for you Arf?

sorry for delayed reply, just very busy atm.

as day, fear not in the way you think though.

you comment was atari = GEM, i pointed Atari ran GEM, and that is not debated, but they were not the first as that might imply. that unit shown is Atari (to where the copy write notice applies), it references GEM as say HP or acer reference Windows i.e. 'designed to run Windows XP or W7/8.

did not bother mentioning the earliest Xerox references, and the chap accredited, at this stage comical pubit was ranting about nothing in particular. i'd likely be 'attacked' just for doing so, knowing his low opinion of wikipedia and having already sinned linked to the article for anyone to fully read - which how much would have loved to point out, it was to reduce muddying the waters any further - well that plan worked bloody well folks :).

my potted history was not meant to be a thesis (fir Cubics info), it related to my experiences messing within a crew who's hobby was earlier computers. a selection menu was a fairly new concept. programmers were more interested on trying to get 10 gallons into a quart pot, due to memory and graphics limitations so why waste it?

i don't remember even hearing of the term URL back then, nerds in universities did not often make contact with us. not saying when it was thought of or buy whom. sub routines or batch files would be a more common term, GUI? just meant you might have got a coloured button on the screen, iirc GUI was heavily frowned on by DOS purists.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

IIRC GEM = Atari ST ?

To correct you -:

wikpedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEM_Operating_System

GEM is known primarily as the graphical user interface (GUI) for the Atari ST series of computers, and was also supplied with a series of IBM PC-compatible computers from Amstrad.

read the article also supplied to pc - GEM was NOT as you claim Atari exclusive but supplied to them an OS, Amstrad have a bigger claim than Atari to GEM

Where the exclusive claim

But your own link says PRIMARILY Atari & ALSO Amstrad

GEM did not = Atari ST as in Atari did NOT invent/program it, their Atari ST 6800 consul was widely known to run it due to its success, especially with musicians,

Never made any claims apart form IIRC GEM = Atari ST

Inaccurate again, GEM as a url is not a computer but an operating system (no winder yiu get confussed about ftuits),

Never made any claims apart form IIRC GEM = Atari ST

pish alert,

simple accuracy and facts, I associated the Atari ST-

Atari_ST_1040.jpg

With GEM,

tosabout.png

Clear enough for you Arf?

you comment was atari = GEM, i pointed Atari ran GEM, and that is not debated, but they were not the first as that might imply. that unit shown is Atari (to where the copy write notice applies), it references GEM

TBH Arf I think there are number of way we can sort the issue

i.) you call back under the stone you crawled from

ii.) I get my Atari ST from out he loft & break it over head

iii.) something else, if you have concise suggestion why not share it with us...

Mr? Veritas God

Archived