Security Installer Community

Is This Live?

skywalker

Volt stick here too, it will tell you that a cable is live but not that it isnt.

I knew british gas had ventured out into electrical work but wasn't aware ADT had?

*sniggers.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

The only thing that makes a gs 38 tester safer is the short tips, which end up being removed anyway to get the probe into the terminals correctly.

I agree with safe isolation proceedure but dont understand why competent electricians cant use a calibrated multi meter or multifunction tester to make the test.

If you dont know how to use your meter with ranges ect then you shouldent be doing it

agreed, however the 2 pole tester is idiot electrician proof, no dials / range or settings & they can't plug the leads in loose or in the wrong place as there molded on, when used with proving unit even a complete mong would really struggle to get it wrong

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

agreed, however the 2 pole tester is idiot electrician proof, no dials / range or settings & they can't plug the leads in loose or in the wrong place as there molded on, when used with proving unit even a complete mong would really struggle to get it wrong

I know ... You and antidote are right.

Its just a silly requirement imo for what is supposed to be trained proffesionals.

Just putting some additional sockets @ home, newish build and all marked up wrong, Dining, conservatory and part of the Kitchen are on the upstairs ring, one of the outlets in the utility is on the kitchen ring the others on the downstairs ring... 

Perhaps he misread some of the regs and split loads so no one place is in darkness/without power after a breaker goes :D

Luke,

some months ago I got a voltstick with an led torch on it for less than a fiver from cpc, ideal for finding w/o touching whether stuff sticking out the wall is live

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/in05688/voltage-detector-light-tone/dp/IN05688?Ntt=IN05688

+vat & now more than a fiver,  but there a free post offer on...

i used to have one of them, but not seen it for a while :( dunno where it went.

i just use my cable tracer now. not ideal but does the job. if the cable is live you get a loud 50HZ hum, if not, you just get a faint hiss from the various rf the cable picks up.

Nothing wrong with the use of non-contact voltage indicators IMO, they have their place but that place is not for proving or disproving wether or not a circuit is energised before working on it.

Neon screwdrivers should be consigned to the nearest bin following the hammer treatment. Anybody who puts themselves in contact with a potentialy live circuit via a piddly resistor and neon is asking for a belt.

Trade Member

Nothing wrong with the use of non-contact voltage indicators IMO, they have their place but that place is not for proving or disproving wether or not a circuit is energised before working on it.

Neon screwdrivers should be consigned to the nearest bin following the hammer treatment. Anybody who puts themselves in contact with a potentialy live circuit via a piddly resistor and neon is asking for a belt.

Agreed

We were taught all through college not to have one of those neon testers let alone use it

Archived