Security Installer Community

Backlit Bellbox, Planning Permission Req?

james.wilson

I have finally had a response from dudley MBC planning dept regarding this. It is their view that a logo on a backlit bellbox is indeed a backlit sign and will require planning permission on a case by case basis. Some domestics will be permitted without planning consent but commercials and domestics in low light areas or light pollution areas will require consent.

I am awaiting a written response and will update on this. But in dudley at least if you want to fit one of these you need to check each one with the planning dept first.

Glad we dont use them!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I have finally had a response from dudley MBC planning dept regarding this. It is their view that a logo on a backlit bellbox is indeed a backlit sign and will require planning permission on a case by case basis. Some domestics will be permitted without planning consent but commercials and domestics in low light areas or light pollution areas will require consent.

I am awaiting a written response and will update on this. But in dudley at least if you want to fit one of these you need to check each one with the planning dept first.

Glad we dont use them!

Oh dear! I see loads of these around but I must admit apart from the Abel one I don't think they look that smart.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

All the Delta bells we've fitted the customer has rang up and asked us to turn off the backlight so we leave them off now. 

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

The pyronix ones around here have a strip of LEDs in the middle and they look **** at night and you still can't see who's bell it is.

The backlit plates are better but still look naff IMO, I agree the Abel bells look canny tho

I'm not convinced they will take action or enforce it. Wigan MBC use the Deltabell on their own systems! Most councils can't even enforce Part P properly and that's been around nearly 10 years.

Trade Member

I'm not convinced they will take action or enforce it. Wigan MBC use the Deltabell on their own systems! Most councils can't even enforce Part P properly and that's been around nearly 10 years.

QFA, it will be a minefield for them and deemed not in the publics interest imo.

Glad we dont use them!

are you **** stirring for your competitors??

n enforce Part P .

this is such a joke.  a guy who used to work for me is now doing purely electrical work, mostly cash and he certainly aint part p.  

we get a sparks in to do our spurs but if i paid a few £ a year we could probably get part p and do our own.  

Most councils can't even enforce Part P properly and that's been around nearly 10 years.

part p is a joke mate,most with the building reg(they seem to think its a qual) are 5ww anyway,i wouldnt let them anywhere near an electrical installation,

are you **** stirring for your competitors??

no. Just thought id follow up on what I said I would a bit ago.

this is such a joke. a guy who used to work for me is now doing purely electrical work, mostly cash and he certainly aint part p.

we get a sparks in to do our spurs but if i paid a few £ a year we could probably get part p and do our own.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with Planning permission on these dam boxes.   I only recently got a local firm to switch there box light off after I called them and found out they use bloody 12 LED lights to make it light up!  - Unsure who was paying for that usage.

Council now inform them they need to remove them and replace with Low Lighting or No Lighting.  

Errr 12 LED`s = 15 watts if that

Not going to bother the nuke power station is it !

Would be fine if it was static but they bloody things flashed every 15 seconds and try sleep with that flashing into your window!

Whistle - we use delta bell boxes with backlight.   I should of taken the picture of a Kings Bell Box on a guy car roof this morning.   Unsure how it got there but hey that is Parkhead, Glasgow for you.

Would be fine if it was static but they bloody things flashed every 15 seconds and try sleep with that flashing into your window!

Whistle - we use delta bell boxes with backlight.   I should of taken the picture of a Kings Bell Box on a guy car roof this morning.   Unsure how it got there but hey that is Parkhead, Glasgow for you.

We did a job up your way last week at the retail park in Paisley.

Archived