Security Installer Community

Hi Guys, I Need Some Advice

frankh1949

Hi guys, my name is Frank and I'm a semi retired IT guy who also got involved with CCTV as part of the package.

I moved from Bedfordshire 2 yrs ago to West Wales to get away from the yobs, vandals etc.. there are some cracking looking sheep here and I bought a new pair of wellies !!

Anyway.. although crime is not a problem here I want to put some cameras up to keep an eye on the dogs as my yard and garden is to the side of the property so its difficult to keep an eye on.

I have 4 cheap cameras left over from past jobs and a Xvision tdvr 8 with a failed HDD so I opened the DVR and confirmed the Master HDD was knackered and tried to play events from the Secondary drive which would not play....I had already reset the box to factory defaults.

I plugged a camera in to prove that the rest of the box worked and could see the image behind the list of events. I was unable to return from the list to the menu as the system froze. I powered down the box but now cannot boot the system as it hangs on "System initialize" I found a switch inside the box which just reboots but does not get past the problem. I've removed the battery,pushed the internal switch for 60 seconds and left battery out for 10 minutes all to no avail. I've disconnected all drive cables, ribbon and power but cant get past initialisation.

Any ideas/ suggestions, other then the bin?

Thanks

Frank

With both drives fitted, (1 failed 1 good) it used to boot ok but no events could be accessed, when I disconnected the failed master drive it booted and displayed the list of events on the secondary drive. 

Since then it will not boot with drives in or out..

Is it possible that the saved boot up data is corrupted? Does leaving the backup battery for 10 mins usually reset to defaults?

Thanks for the responses guys. 

My logic is this: Even with new unformatted drives fitted the box should boot to allow you to access the menus to format the drives.

Prior to the box not getting past the initialize stage, the system would boot as follows:

With the faulty primary drive and good secondary and cd connected it would boot and detect the cd but no drives and would give access to all menus

With the primary drive disconnected it would boot and detect the cd and secondary drive and show files on the secondary drive.

With all drives disconnected it would still boot ok

After resetting to factory defaults via menu it booted.

So to get through the boot sequence it doesnt need drives fitted... it will just check and report none detected. I know it doesnt need cameras fitted to boot so what else is it checking for??? hence my thoughts re setting defaults in case its set to look for something that doesnt exist.

It has not booted since connecting a camera to test when the box was powered up, the camera is good and works fine.

I know if you go by the book you really shouldnt plug a camera in when box is powered up but I've never killed any equipment doing so.  

I think I'll give up. I replaced the faulty drive and still the same.

I did find that if I removed the backup battery for 20 mins, then powered up, the box would try to initialize but go to blank screen after about a minute. Not sure why.

I can get a 8 cam for £50 +hdd so may buy myself a late Xmas present.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Make sure the second drive is now set to master, just in case make sure you use the same cable as the previous master also.

Check the system clock if you can, problems with the system clock can cause errors and corrupt the recorded database. I suspect issues with the clock, as when you connected the camera the DVR may have tried to record. Also DVRs that auto detect PAL or NTSC often use channel 1 for this usually on boot up.

While the hard drives do not have the boot software on them (usually on embedded DVRs), the do offer information with regards to the recorded database (dates, times, etc), if this is corrupt it can stop the DVR from fully booting. If the DVR boots ok without any hdds then this can be an explanation.

BTW the TDVR is quite old and obviously using IDE drives (can be hard to get these days), brand new they were not great and second hand I can only see trouble so I would suggest replacing regardless but a £50 8 channel is possibly going from the frying pan into the fire. 

Make sure the second drive is now set to master, just in case make sure you use the same cable as the previous master also.

Check the system clock if you can, problems with the system clock can cause errors and corrupt the recorded database. I suspect issues with the clock, as when you connected the camera the DVR may have tried to record. Also DVRs that auto detect PAL or NTSC often use channel 1 for this usually on boot up.

While the hard drives do not have the boot software on them (usually on embedded DVRs), the do offer information with regards to the recorded database (dates, times, etc), if this is corrupt it can stop the DVR from fully booting. If the DVR boots ok without any hdds then this can be an explanation.

BTW the TDVR is quite old and obviously using IDE drives (can be hard to get these days), brand new they were not great and second hand I can only see trouble so I would suggest replacing regardless but a £50 8 channel is possibly going from the frying pan into the fire. 

Thanks for the comments, Yes I set the drive to master and swopped the ribbon cables to try variations.

I thought that by removing the battery and waiting for the volts to the rom to decay I would have put the system back to factory defaults and all stored configuration would be lost so getting rid of any conflicts. As far as I know this box should boot up without drives.

Without access to menus I'm stuffed really.

Yes its an old dvr, I installed it in a car repair / mot station around 2005 and its been faultless up to the drive failing. Its cost me nothing and would have been good enough for my use here. I think I still have an account with Y3K but havent had their trade price list for ages

Archived