Security Installer Community

Going For Ssaib

datadiffusion

OK, so I've decided the time is right to join an inspectorate and chosen SSAIB to aim for.

I'd totally admit here is no logical reason I've chosen them over NSI, it just feels right for a smaller (micro?) business.

At the end of the day (it gets dark?), but also I suppose we are all personally responsible for the standard and workmanship

of our installations, and (sadly) the most positive thing the inspectorate can do for US is provide URNs. When you see the sort of sales tactics I saw on Watchdog last year, and then learn they are SSAIB and haven't been kicked out, you lose faith a bit.

I've been keeping up with the regs whilst I've been away, pretty comfortable with it now, but I was really shocked to read another poster on here claiming he was ready for inspection and not even knowing what a Grade was! I've got the pack, I think I understand this weeks interpretation of the ENs (just don't ask me to tell it back to you though) so I really hope that I won't ask any silly questions.

My biggest problem is being a sole trader; (I'm hoping to go Ltd. as soon as practicable) being on my own I am going to have to find someone to form a reciprocal service and callout arrangement with before the SSAIB will even look at my application. As I say i'm in Weston-super-Mare but happy to cover Bristol, Bath, and what you might call the Mendip area, but don't really fancy cold calling other companies, unless that really is the way it's done?

The other thing is, although hands on is a great way to learn in this industry (it's how I started all those years ago, long before I did the electronics NDs, HNDs and BSCs) and I'm more than happy with grades, risk assessment generally is something I'm not so clear about. I've seen a pricey, but just about affordable, 3 day course with TAVCOM on this very subject, they seem OK and I did a couple of CCTV courses with them in 2005 when I was in the MOD. Am I right that when it comes to something so important, from an insurance and efficacy POV, it would be better to have those 3 days and 3 BTEC points behind you than find yourself in court insisting you 'really thought you understood that document in the textbook, your honour'?

Thats enough for now. Any advice gratefully received!

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

At one GOLD NSI we got cold called by another to "Buddy" them, but it was a silly area they wanted covering and we would have taken more on than them.

And they were not the best so we politely said no thanks.

Ring around, if you dont ask...............

At one GOLD NSI we got cold called by another to "Buddy" them, but it was a silly area they wanted covering and we would have taken more on than them.

And they were not the best so we politely said no thanks.

Ring around, if you dont ask...............

Fair enough, its not someone laughing down the phone I'm bothered about, I suppose I would be most concerned about someone taking advantage terms wise. What would a standard contract look like? Maybe I should phone the SSAIB and see if there is a standard contract or even if they were prepared to suggest similar sized firms (who I'd guess would be more happy to help, as it could benefit them too) in my area.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Risk assement wise have you looked at the techmaster app in downloads. It does it for you

Looks good, cheers. But as the output is only as good as the input, I'm still thinking about that course. Its OK, I'll tell my other half I've cancelled the holiday to spend the money on something much better later on!

I honestly think the investment on gaining & maintaining a badge could be better spent on IT / PR (or whatever) if your a sole trader w/o any staff ?

I'm actually pretty sorted for my IT needs, I hear what your saying though. I'm hoping to generate a bit of interest in the company next month, obviously new website is a top priority, but again I'm used to doing this for myself with Serif. But from my past experience, nearly every penny spent on traditional advertising is a penny wasted, again, thats just my experience. I have a few ideas anyway.

Last time, I kept losing commercial customers who were themselves start-ups, who grew and were then told by their insurers they had to get an approved installer. That felt like I was just handing money over to a competitor, for something I knew I could probably do just as well myself, if it wasn't for the registration process.

From what I can see they are still going at the shop they used to use.... I would imagine using same crew etc... instantly back trading as System2 (2013) Ltd. or something? Thats the way it usually goes, isn't it?

Unfortunately I only started working for myself again properly on the 2nd, and have no history of working in this area. My books are actually pretty

full till March but most of the work is back in Bath (my old location) and leaves precious little time to do the marketing and PR stuff back here in WSM.

Still, given the current climate, I can't complain at all. Just be great to start drumming up some work that doesn't involve an hours drive, thats all!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived