Security Installer Community

Status Traffic Lights

toasty

Can't find these anywhere....

Not sure if they are specific to honeywell galaxy or ADT or both.

Maybe not recently, but I recall seeing a single socket blanking plate sized unit with large (maybe 10mm) LEDs in a traffic light configuration (red, yellow, green) which reflect the status of the alarm

I could make one, but can't find the actual item described above anywhere.

Anyone know what they are known as / have any further info.

cheers

Dan

I posted this question on another DIY forum but drew a blank, the best I got was a suggestion that they are called 'alarm status boards'

Anyway, I bought some single blanking plates and LEDs and built 5 of my own, but I'm still curious as to whether than can be purchased and from where.

Here is a photo of what I'm referring to:

....and here's my attempt at copying these.

post-3152-0-68064200-1357921122_thumb.jp

post-3152-0-79548600-1357921227_thumb.jp

post-3152-0-84495600-1357921248_thumb.jp

post-3152-0-15994800-1357921269_thumb.jp

post-3152-0-67882700-1357921315_thumb.jp

post-3152-0-05752900-1357921336_thumb.jp

I've got a fairly big galaxy install planned for my new house. Galaxy 96, 3 smart rios, various sounders, multiple areas, fire detectors etc.. For the remote areas, garages, cellars and the like I want a visual indication of their status.

I think you're right, doesn't comply with BS whatever it is. But this is just a DIY install, I've no requirement to comply with anything.

I've got a fairly big galaxy install planned for my new house. Galaxy 96, 3 smart rios, various sounders, multiple areas, fire detectors etc.. For the remote areas, garages, cellars and the like I want a visual indication of their status.

the only time we did this was for a site with security guards.  you can use a tricolour LED and run the red input side through a pulsing relay controlled via a separate output.  the result is green LED for unset, red LED for set and flashing red LED for in alarm.  but it takes 3 outputs (and relays) per LED and a lot of faffing around.

where abouts are you?

Thanks RFSI'm in Bristol. I see these panels in nearly every bank I go into. The first picture in this post is a photo of one. As you can see, I've made a few of them now anyway, I'm just interested that they don't seem to be available for sale despite being used in most banks!Your tri colour led Idea is more elegant, I like it, except that my plan was to have red for armed and amber for entry/exit delay timer in operation. So during entry /exit I'd have two LEDs on at once. Which wouldn't really work on a tricolour. Green will be disarmed. So on my system it will work just like real traffic lights!

This is the finished article.

I even made a couple with integral entry/exit buzzers, and best of all, they still fit in a shallow box.

post-3152-0-13526400-1357922576_thumb.jp

post-3152-0-47618900-1357922608_thumb.jp

post-3152-0-20163800-1357922635_thumb.jp

I'd of used pairs of 5mm LED's for each colour.

Just so you can see status if one fails.

Nice job tho.

If you wish to hide the lights you could put the commoned anode/cathodes though another switch/output.

Maybe a reed switch hidden in the patress hover a magnet over and the status is shown.

Or a small timer circuit that would hide the status after X seconds of status change.

I'd expect the banks "lights" are access control.

The "Bank" ones are for access control.

Basically one door had to be locked before another can be opened.

And in a robbery the doors "Interlock" and trap the armed gunman............................clever or NOT.

The "Bank" ones are for access control.

Basically one door had to be locked before another can be opened.

And in a robbery the doors "Interlock" and trap the armed gunman............................clever or NOT.

whys it in the front window then.. :hmm:

Banks used as hostage indication.

To stop been taken hostage by burglars waiting for staff when opening.

Staff used a remote fob to power the lights to say its safe to enter.

Low risk areas such as cupboards,upstairs etc would have a detector fitted and programmed for hostage.

Hostage zones only tripped the light and not the alarm.

Hostage system would set with main system

In morning staff would arrive outside and press the fob.

Green = all ok, enter

yellow = 1 zone tripped, caution with staff staying outside while someone enters.

red = two or more zones tripped, enter only with police.

Burglars used to break-in and wait for staff in cupboards etc until they opened.

Remember local tsb when builders working late and they tripped the hostage zones while working.

next day staff had police check it out. good call out that day

Archived