Security Installer Community

Do Work For Free?

chalky

Your price is fair IMO. If you're concerned though, next time do a full walk test, test set and activate maybe even test the battery. This way you are adding value and the only cost is a few minutes of your time. It may not seem much but they will perceive to have received much more.

We tend not to do out of contract call outs though, unless they are our own systems or there's the possibility of it leading to a new job, for example "we have just had a break in and we now want our old alarm servicing" or "our insurance has insisted on service". I treat these as sales leads.

For any other out of contract stuff all we offer is decommissioning for a a fixed price.

We would do something a little different from that, we would charge non contract rate then offer an option if they take out a maintenenance contract we will discount the difference between noncontract and contract from the maintenance contract. It gets the chaff from the wheat or whatever the saying is. I still think pricing yourself can only do two things make you a busy fool that makes no money, and you end up with the wrong sort of customer the sort that I avoid like the plague.

As I said don't do many domestics mainly contract to others on bigger commercials so don't really do that much call out and then it's normally out of hours where something needs a refurb after muppet builders have totally butchered half the system. 

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

We would do something a little different from that, we would charge non contract rate then offer an option if they take out a maintenenance contract we will discount the difference between noncontract and contract from the maintenance contract. It gets the chaff from the wheat or whatever the saying is. I still think pricing yourself can only do two things make you a busy fool that makes no money, and you end up with the wrong sort of customer the sort that I avoid like the plague.

Id go along with that, Ive often decommissioned for £55 (for example) and offered to then discount that from a new install if they go ahead within 30 days.

richl thats a good point,but as theres always a but,youve technically serviced the system and signed it off as so,im not sure of the ins and outs but would you then be liable if say a break in and no act,customer would say so and look to blame,as were in a blame culture these days and some vulture would take it on :ranting: would you add something in the t&c's

The only liability would be on parts supplied.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

£75 including VAT and parts?

As above, far too cheap and what do your contracted customers pay?

·         During normal office hours (9am-5pm) £125 + VAT

·         After 5pm and up to midnight £155 + VAT

·         Weekends and any other time including bank holidays £175 + VAT

·         These charges include travel time and first hour on site, Additional labour is charged at £45 + VAT per hour.

Archived