Security Installer Community

Do Work For Free?

chalky

So today I get a call, somebody with a fault on their alarm system open circuit on zone. It's not one of my systems and they have no contract with anyone else. So gave then a price for a call out which they accepted and said parts would be extra. when I arrived found pir stuck permanently open changed it tested system all okay. Gave them the bill plus detector which I charged £15 for. Then they started trying to haggle saying the call out they had had before was only £30 including parts. Anyway I didn't budge and they paid.  

My point is I didn't charge a huge amount and was probably cheaper than most, I was actually quite offended as i always charge a decent price. I don't do many domestic systems and wondered if this is the norm.

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.
SFE.Solutions security systems

I don't do many domestic systems and wondered if this is the norm.

What, customers being tight arses? Then yes.

I always make sure that they're aware that there will be a call out charge which will include the first hour of labour and diagnosis of the fault. If the fault can be repaired within the hour with no materials used, that's all they pay. However, if a part needs to be replaced or it's not going to be economical to repair, they're given a price for replacement part before its fitted or informed of the issue before proceeding. £15 isn't much at all for a PIR but some customers would still moan at being charged that. If they know upfront how much it's going to be before you change it, this makes things easier when it comes to settling the bill I find. Just my opinion.

Trade Member

Was upfront With call out charge whole job including pir £75 quid do you think that's expensive for domestic.

TVX systems what a good idea by the time the picture had downloaded the intruder would have been long gone.

I agree, discuss the price and payment method before attending.

Your rate is for the first hour?

Here the call out covers the first 30 mins, if you have not got it working by then a hourly rate comes into play.

Don`t even ask what some of the locksmiths are charging now, but £300 to slip a Yale is common in certain areas.

Anypne remember Don Arnold? Some liked him some not, last I heard he was "consulting" for ADT but could be dead now for all I know. His stance was why do we worry about a £45 call out when every other trade charges £90. (Just an example) .

Worked for his company when they bought out one I was working for and he did charge,  Call out to replace magnet as new door fitted £130.00  Time taken to get to job 15 mins, time to fit and test 15.

I was a little stunned when phoning in to ask what to charge as was used to a lower but still a profitable charge.

Was upfront With call out charge whole job including pir £75 quid do you think that's expensive for domestic.

Cheap.

But thats me and London prices I suppose.

Non maint, turn up when requested, find and fix got to be £125.00

thanks mate this was Kingston only really did it because it was on the way home from London and yep did include vat. Perhaps I should just be a bit more ruthless (as my better half keeps saying it costs her more to have her hair cut and she has to travel to them).

Assuming an iwise std we would ask non contract for £156.00 inc vat.

We did a day time job over the xmas 7ah, 6 way JB + G1 SMC, £186 inc vat (but 60ml round trip) strictly speaking was under charged by £18

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Non maint callout for us (next available appt might be 3 days etc) is £84 +vat. Gives half hour on site. 

So i think you were more than fair.

Had someone pop in today after we did a quote for a domestic asking us to fit the yale system they just bought at b&q.

On paper does the same thing....

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived