Security Installer Community

Need Tap To Sms Message Signalling For Your Alarm Systems?

opentelecomuk

Introducing OpenTAP our Free of Charge TAP gateway messaging service?

Does your security system’s or other supported devices SMS alert use O2 or other network service provider? 

Security systems over a year old which use the O2's TAP gateway service to deliver an SMS text message to key holders when their alarm is activated, now need to switch to another provider.

O2 withdrew their "TAP" gateway product in March 2012. Plus other major networks to follow! The change may well cause problems for a number of alarm systems.

The SMS TAP service uses a landline connection from the alarm control panel to send text messages to a phone number programmed by an installer or end-user. The messages were directed by a service provider using a TAP gateway.

While your mobile carrier may not understand the importance of TAP in the area or network and industrial monitoring, Open Telecom and our partners do!

If your system offers the ability to send an SMS text message to you when it is activated and you think it is using the O2 or other network providers TAP gateway for this, please contact us

Kind Regards 

D Kobale 

Managing Director 
Open Telecom International Ltd 

At 50p per call it's not really free then! That's 3x the price of the legacy system!

Well its not likely to be free is it?  They have to make money somehow otherwise why would they provide the service? and 50p per message is better than no message for free which is what O2 is providing at the moment. I guess the reason O2 and many of the other operators withdrew their TAP service is because they didnt realise they should be charging for it. Instead of just thinking that they are not making money from something thats costing them.

Well its not likely to be free is it?  They have to make money somehow otherwise why would they provide the service? and 50p per message is better than no message for free which is what O2 is providing at the moment. I guess the reason O2 and many of the other operators withdrew their TAP service is because they didnt realise they should be charging for it. Instead of just thinking that they are not making money from something thats costing them.

Correct Peter, that is exactly why they puled the plug

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

well i guess finding out it works once a year is just fine..

Imo the cost / performance benefit of digi vs dialler vs sms is heavily weighted to the digi.

I was talking about cost not quality.

IMO a dialler is the best low cost solution.

If correctly fitted to a half decent panel, line can be monitored and fault indicated locally.

Also panel could be programmed to send a test message every X days.

No monitoring costs, only local/mobile call rates.

Digi's with EF are a different league.

As this is public.

We dont do diallers. Been to too many callouts were there have been knocked out by broadband or last months lightning or chnage of phone line co etc etc.

But as we dont do diallers we need to offer an alternative as we prefer to do it this way.

We offer a freefone digicom unit and the monitoring charge is £5 per month. Why would you want a dialler?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Yep sia 3 on the old galaxy g2's and extended sia on the HKC's.

We do however charge another £1 per month for open/close on the freefone, most customers dont have open close just the dially test.

On the hkc we also offer a web reporting system so they can see current state, historic data etc.

As this is public.

We dont do diallers. Been to too many callouts were there have been knocked out by broadband or last months lightning or chnage of phone line co etc etc.

But as we dont do diallers we need to offer an alternative as we prefer to do it this way.

We offer a freefone digicom unit and the monitoring charge is £5 per month. Why would you want a dialler?

James that's £60-72 PA and I assume that's the monitoring charge to you, thus I think it's exspensive compaired to a dual path at £

Or are you retailing Digis at that price :(

Customers!

For keyholder only monitoring on domestics yes, ie retail. Dual path Lps class signalling we sell for £35 per month

Bear in mind these are monitoring charges only. Maintenance is not included

For keyholder only monitoring on domestics yes, ie retail. Dual path Lps class signalling we sell for £35 per month

Bear in mind these are monitoring charges only. Maintenance is not included

Thank you. My Xmas is still in tact.

Customers!

But they (O2 and Vodafone) were/are charging for the service @17p per call. I suppose if others actually provide support, then it may be worth the additional premium. Slightly troubling is the fact that since it's MODEM data, if the transmission fails for whatever reason, then it's another 50p for every retry - but that is/was also the case with Voda/O2.

Varies. Monitoring is a PIA. We have AM monthly report and bank statement and a ruler ans a pen. Oh and a couple of days. Anything without a line through it needs chasing. Tip always get customer to use contract ref against payment. So many have Bank details not matching.

Bank allowed us DDa few years back once they saw the numbers.

Customers!

Archived