Security Installer Community

Optima Plus 2 Power Cut/Resetting

Guest AlanG

Hi, haven't a clue about alarm systems so you're my only hope short of calling an engineer out which I'd prefer not to do... had a power cut last night and the control panel is beeping every 3 seconds or so and number 8 displaying... but I can't seem to reset the thing... I've looked at the manual but its obviously aimed at installers or rocket scientists!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

ps - I've temporarily disabled it by disconnecting the black wire inside the panel but last time i did this when the power went again the alarm went off and all internal sirens too so would prefer a more permanent solution this time!!!

Sorry to sound thick, but I tried to find the battery in the panel the last time this happened and I couldn't find it! Do you know what kind of battery it is and whereabouts is it located? Unfortunately we inherited this system when we bought the house and the limited instructions we have don't have much detail in them.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

We'll need more info from you. What make or model is your panel? Is it a big box with a keypad on it or a small keypad with a 'main' control panel elsewhere?

If it's the latter, and you have opened the panel, does it have space for a battery (you can't miss it, they're at least 4 or 5 inches long, usually)?

It sounds like it may not have one installed, which would definitely be the cause of your problem.

If you don't know......ask.

Why would you prefer not to call an engineer out?

Not having a backup battery installed is a MAJOR breach of standards. This system should be inspected and tested by a professional otherwise you are trusting your security to a very dodgy system.

Not forgetting the fact that the panel will be trying to charge the non existant battery and as such it could burn the pcb and possibly catching fire.

Get a professional in this time!!

Not forgetting the fact that the panel will be trying to charge the non existant battery and as such it could burn the pcb and possibly catching fire.

Get a professional in this time!!

21343[/snapback]

forgive my ignorance, but I can't quite get my head round that one.

surely if the battery is not connected, no current will be drawn and there will be no more risk(possibly less?) of fire than if a battery was connected?

:wacko:

Guest Peter James

I do agree with Brian on this one Colin, a dead battery will draw too much current no battery at all will draw no current.

It is still bad practice to have a system with no battery , thats assuming that the chap is looking inside the right box of course. Even so if he's looking in the wrong box then the battery must be dead therefore the charging circuit is at risk and there is a possibility of a fire.

Pete

Just checking that you were all paying attention :lol:

what you should have read was:

"Not forgetting the fact that the panel will be trying to charge the knackered battery and as such it could burn the pcb and possibly catching fire.

Get a professional in this time!! "

Glad to see at least two of you noticed, gold stars all round. :)

Hi all,

Sorry for delay in replying but been away for a couple of days (thankfully the alarm hasn't burnt my house down in that time!!!).

Ok, to answer your question, there is a single control panel mounted by the front door and I've attached 2 pics to confirm how it looks outside and in. Sorry about the reflection from the flash but hopefully they should give you the info you need. Its an Optima 2 Plus from what I can make out.

I didn't have a problem with calling an engineer out per se, just felt that if it was a simple problem to resolve it would be a shame to pay someone to do it for me when there is such valuable resource available on here to help me!

Look forward to your replies anyway.

post-3061-1093382688_thumb.jpgpost-3061-1093382718_thumb.jpg

Ok, that's your remote keypad. you will have a main control panel somewhere in your house. look in your large cupboards/wardrobes, under the stairs, cellar/garage (maybe even loft), etc. for a large cream (same colour as sides of keypad) plastic box with 1 screw in the middle, right hand side....thats your control panel! Find the battery and replace with the same kind.

:)

Marvellous, thanks for the input chaps, I'll have a look for the main control panel and let you know what I find!!

You learn something every day eh, I've only lived here 3 years!!!!!!!

• 14 years later...

Quick temporary fix!!!

Pull cover off from beeping panels.

Wiggle off the small square labelled 'volume'.

No more beeping.

Your welcome

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I wouldn't say temporary fix, more permanent damage.

Agreed, total bloody butcher job.

• Upvote 1

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

14 minutes ago, Dar01 said:

Took me 2 minutes to work that out yet still 'handy to know' even 14 years on... shuda been a sparky..  easy work

With the talent of riving stuff off a PCB why aim so low ?

You could work for Boeing or even within a Nuclear power station....

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

The 'small square' is a potentiometer. You could remove the speaker wire to save the damage to the board

Just now, MrHappy said:

With the talent of riving stuff off a PCB why aim so low ?

You could work for Boeing or even within a Nuclear power station....

Chief 737 max anti stall designer. Last worked on the dreamliner batteries? 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.