Security Installer Community

Honeywell Domonial - Inherited As New Home Owners - Help!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got off the phone with ADT.  They've told me that the previous owners had cancelled their contract on the 14th December and paid the early exit fees as they were within the initial 3-year contract, therefore the equipment is mine.  They also said that there should have been an engineers appointment made for them to decommission the system to 'bells only' but there doesn't seem to be any record of that being booked.  They're contacting the local area manager for advice.

The lock question or rather answer is still vague.

Have you changed ALL the external door locks or cylinders?

Good luck with the free visit and opening of codes.

Yes, ALL external doors locks have been changed.

I'm not expecting ADT to visit and decommission the panel for free, but it will interesting to see what they come back with.  If there is a charge (most likely) then I'll decline, simply remove the the equipment and wrap the sirens in a blanket until the battery runs flat.  I need to start my renovations as soon as possible.  As the ADT repesentative said "it's yours now and you can do as you wish".

Thanks, now we know.

Always the better choice. Had to advise someone today about this issue ( New neighbour) and they never got it. No doubt when he gets robbed he will ask me for a new alarm and locks..............................

Again get 3 quotes, for keeping or swapping out.

Had to advise someone today about this issue ( New neighbour) and they never got it. No doubt when he gets robbed he will ask me for a new alarm and locks..............................

I know what you mean.  My in-laws lost one set of their keys a few months ago, whilst visiting we asked if they had sorted it to which they replied "yes, we got another set of keys cut to replace them".  After picking my jaw off the floor I immediately went out and bought new locks for all the doors.

• 10 months later...

Excuse the thread hi-jack, I also have a Domonial headache and hope experienced guys here or the OP here may be able to help.

My Scenario:- I purchased a new house from a developer 5 years ago which came with an ADT installed Domonial alarm. The house has been rented out, the previous tenant didnt use the alarm and they removed the fuse from the outlet beside the panel to disconnect (without mentioning to me until the end of tenancy). Why, i do not know, maybe was beeping.

Anyway, change of tenant now and the new tenant wishes to use the alarm. I replaced the fuse powering the panel and it lights up, goes out, then after a few mins all LEDs flash. I fit a new CR123 battery in the keypad. It powers on with the serial no, customer no etc but the Panel no. is blank... Appears to need re-linked to the panel. I would have thought non volatile memory would store all programming info, even if battery runs down, can anyone confirm?

I removed the panel cover and there was no tamper alarm sound???

I called ADT and had a sales rep visited today. Was advised 2 options: 1) £21.99 a month contract for 3 years thus £791.64 and they would send engineer to fix or 2) £156 for 30 min call out + £48 per 30 mins thereafter + parts

I do not mind paying for an Engineer but neither ADT option is appealing, since after £££ investment am left with no control, without an Engineer code etc. I am an electrician, technically minded and have installed alarms in my previous houses including a Galaxy G2-20 in my current house. I prefer to have control of the system to deal with fault codes, low batteries, keyfobs etc myself.

Stupidly, I did not enquire at the time of purchase re missing Master Code on any of the documentation, was only issued with keyfobs... Incidentally, the outgoing tenant failed to return 2 keyfobs and I will need another couple programmed. I only have my own keyfob and 1 spare.

Before I call other local Alarm companies in Aberdeen to find any with Domonial experience.

Questions:-

1) Can the panel be programmed from the TCU4-800M keypad?

2) If the keypad is not already linked to the panel, would a programming kit be required such as:- http://www.hunters-wholesalers.co.uk/domonial-domopc-local-programming-tool-domonial-including-version-with-serial-cable-usbadaptor-p-57833.html

3) Is there a procedure to reset the Engineer and Master codes? would doing so require the whole panel to be re-programmed? (I will try default codes first if I can get the keypad registered to the panel)

After reading forum comments, replacing the panel with a Galaxy G2-20 would be an option, however I believe the main issue is that you dont get a wireless keypad for the Galaxy. Running in cables now wouldn't be feasible, given the house construction. Although saying that, I believe there is a cable run to an internal sounder which is closer to a suitable keypad position, if sufficient unused cores which I doubt.

ADT also advise that the outside box is a dummy with no cable or external sounder... 

There are 6 PIR's and 3 door contact's installed so prefer to utilise these rather than replace the lot.

Any advice, most welcome!

Thanks

Mark

Impartial advice again, as I am not an installer.

The Domonial system looks awful in terms of programming. I can't understand how they made it so hard, or the manuals so bad. Time and time again, when they come up, installers have no experience and recommend replacement. 

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Thanks for the replies guys. Have been phoning around local firms and only one firm has experience with Domonial and they arent keen to take on. So as thought and advised here, swapping the panel to another Honeywell looks like the way forward...

I am trying to establish if there are newer hybrid Honeywell panels that may have wireless built in without having to add on a RF portal to a G2. Such as the Galaxy Flex? Local firms i called are mainly using other makes, although most do and happy to offer the Honeywell Galaxy (prefer so can utilise existing Domonial wire-free sensors).  Am getting vague information: Such as being told that RF portal only supports 8 wireless zones. I have 9 wireless zones, and local firm were advising I'd need a G2-44 which supports 2 portals. My reply was, one of the zones could be wired, thus leaving 8 wireless zones but I question whether the need to do so and a 8 zone limit. The G2 manual says that "one RF Portal will allow the control panel to assign wire-free detectors to any or all detection zones" my understanding is a G2-20 comes with 12 built in wired zones, thus adding a RF portal would give up to 12 wireless zones? Can anyone confirm? Maybe a RF portal adds an additional 8 zones in addition to what the panel already offers???

Also anyone with experience with the Galaxy Flex 20, would you recommend this or a G2-20 with RF portal? Notice there is a MK8 keypad too, not sure if only comparable with the Flex?

the portal supports as many zones as the panel supports, the old rf-rio was 8 zones but could do more.

all you need is a g2-20 and a portal. But iirc early domonial sensors wouldnt work with a portal. can you upload a picture of  a sensor

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

They are talking rubbish, as James said above, the G2 portal will support what the panel will support.

G2 panels will support two portals (helps range)

G2-12 will also work with a Portal giving you 12 wireless zones

Flex would look neater as you can get a portal to fit inside.

We fit Galaxy as our main panel.

Where are you based?

OK, the Flex 20 seems like the panel to go for.

If my understanding is correct: its newer technology than the G2 but similar functionality and compatibility. Plastic case, thus as you say Paul, will be neater having the RF portal inside. Also comes in kits with the newer Mk8 keypad.

Honeywell spec quoted on many suppliers sites is what is confusing not only me, but appears my local installer and his supplier he checked with.

• Up to 20 wired or 8 wireless zones (12 onboard)

Is my understanding correct: Neither the G2 or Flex 20 have wireless built in. Both have 12 wired zones. Adding a RF portal is necessary to make either panel hybrid, allowing any of the existing 12 zones configurable as wireless. Thus either panel with an RF portal add on is capable of 12 wired or 12 wireless or any combination, ie. 6 wired and 6 wireless.

If all of above correct, do you have to add another RF portal to add a further 8 wireless zones, bringing the max number of zones up to the quoted 20?

Ah, not our area.

Yes Paul, I'm in North of Scotland. Pity, since would like to have employed someone who is highly familiar with Galaxy panels. 

Galaxy not familiar in Aberdeen?

Yes most familiar, but out of around 6 companies called none said was what they normally install. Scantronic came up a couple of times along with some other makes.

if you go for a flex (i wouldnt) then you can map the unused wired circuits to be wireless, go for a g2 20 with a portal

You dont say why not Flex? Suspect for ease of wiring, will re-position panel location, 1 box would be neater than 2 at the new location.

Agreed. G2 is also tried and tested and can't see any benefit of a flex apart from the rf portal can go in the panel without the need for a rio box on the g2 but that's about it. Part set much better on the g2?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived